Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When sleeping in the back yard lately, I've been using a blue ccf pad in the pocket of my BIAS DL for bottom insulation, and a wool army blanket for the top. I've been toasty into the 50s, and could probably take this into the 40's since I'm a hot sleeper.

Lightweight? No. Compressible? The blue pad is bulky, and I hate bulk. But for car camping, it's perfectly acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendule View Post
    … and you can wear it around the fire ^__^
    This is a big plus also I forgot to mention earlier. Looks like ill have to save up and get a blanket and test it myself

I emailed a guy who makes 100% wool blankets. He has a full size 74"x90" for 179.00 and weights around 4.5 lbs. Which is 1.5 pound more than a top quilt and underquilt combo. Rolls up about the size of a long therma rest sleep pad. I will make an order in about a month and test it out, until then the discussion continues.

Hammock
    Switchback and WBBB
    Tarp
    Mega Ogee! Sweet
    Insulation
    Jar bridge
    Suspension
    Dutchie Whoopie
    Images
    If you are going to buy something, I would suggest alpaca. I live in New Hampshire and have an Eddie B. Down throw, a merino wool throw, and a very lightweight alpaca hammock throw from S. A.. The alpaca is TONS warmer and the favorite of everyone that comes over. This is not a small difference but very large and readily observable.
    It is a huge difference and with weight a consideration, I think should be considered. There are places to get inexpensive, lightweight alpaca blankets on the web.

Here is a comparison from wikipedia.
    How alpaca compares to wool:

* Stronger (per same fineness)
    • Pockets of air are created when spun so items are warmer for equal
    weight
    • Softer, less irritating
    • Alpaca fiber is naturally hypoallergenic - Alpaca is free from dander and lanolin which cause allergic reactions
    • Alpaca will stay cleaner longer because it is lanolin free and doesn't hold dust.
    • Alpaca Superfine won't mat or pill (some pilling in baby alpaca)
    • 22+ rich, natural colors
    • Less shrinkage (washable)
    • Thermostatically superior (50 degree F comfort range vs. 30 degree F for wool)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t...#ixzz1wsLoajOs

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Whoa - you're going to spend $179 on a wool blanket for your hammock? The first thing I thought when I read this post is that "he's either allergic to down, or allergic to the cost of down." But anybody who spends $179 on a wool blanket can't be allergic to the cost of down. For $179 you can get a HG 20* Phoenix 3/4 underquilt.

What are your objections to down?

Don't get me wrong - I love wool and if I knew I would be stuck out in the wilderness long term with shelter issues, I'd take wool over down every time. However, for hiking and hanging, you can't beat down for weight and compressibility.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I have nothing against wool. It's great, especially if you treat it with lanolin and make it water shedding.

Rather than spending $179 on "just" a wool blanket, I'd suggest you look up wool cloaks or capotes. It might sound silly, but since I'd spent some time as a "rennie"...I've slept a few nights in a wool cloak. Much more comfortable around the fire,too.

But I also gotta agree with the idea of investing in down. Keep it dry...use the same effort you use to keep your clothes and sleeping bag dry and it'll serve you as well or better. PLUS it's lighter.

Right now, I'm using synthetics. Eventually, I'll end up investing in down as well.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Whoa - you're going to spend $179 on a wool blanket for your hammock? The first thing I thought when I read this post is that "he's either allergic to down, or allergic to the cost of down." But anybody who spends $179 on a wool blanket can't be allergic to the cost of down. For $179 you can get a HG 20* Phoenix 3/4 underquilt.

What are your objections to down?

Don't get me wrong - I love wool and if I knew I would be stuck out in the wilderness long term with shelter issues, I'd take wool over down every time. However, for hiking and hanging, you can't beat down for weight and compressibility.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    SilvrSurfr, wool always loses the "apples to apples" wool vs down debates... but it's not even apples to oranges... the only similarity is that they both come from animals.

If the primary purpose of wool is insulation under a hammock, it's a poor choice. However, in deep cold there is nothing better than highly vapor permeable wool garments. When you must be active in really cold conditions, down is one of the worst choices. A wool cloak or wool poncho that supplements your hammock insulation are excellent gear for seriously cold weather.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    If you go with something that has dual purpose, the weight penalty is easier to justify. A wool poncho unfolded will be about 39" x 80". I guess you found one that's about twice as wide, but a 39" x 80" would work and be lighter. As MacEntyre said, it could supplement your sleep system and be a good day garment for deep cold.

Hey, it's good enough for Clint: clint.jpg

OJ: Let us know how your poncho works out.
    Last edited by Pipsissewa; 06-05-2012 at 05:54.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    SilvrSurfr, wool always loses the "apples to apples" wool vs down debates... but it's not even apples to oranges... the only similarity is that they both come from animals.

If the primary purpose of wool is insulation under a hammock, it's a poor choice. However, in deep cold there is nothing better than highly vapor permeable wool garments. When you must be active in really cold conditions, down is one of the worst choices. A wool cloak or wool poncho that supplements your hammock insulation are excellent gear for seriously cold weather.

- MacEntyre
    I've seen the wool cloak/poncho you wear. I need to get me one of those. Very nice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast