Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ENO ridge line

Question ENO ridge line

Got my ENO Doublenest hammock, just going to stick with ultralight carabiners and some webbing. But, I would like to have a ridgeline. Going to get a 4 season Maccat tarp with doors, and need a ridgeline for that, at least, I think. Does a ridgeline help with maintaing the hammock taut and comfortable, or is it just personal preference, or do I need it to hang a hammock? Remember, I'm a noob.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You don't need one on the hammock. A lot of us like them to maintain "sag".....http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html
    I did a video series on Hammocks for the New Guys.......maybe give you some help if you want. General hammock and tarp stuff. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516
    Carry Forth....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Your tarp won't be on your hammock ridgeline...it'll be on it's own tarp ridgeline. A ridgeline on the hammock serves several purposes, the main being the ability to keep the sag close to the same every time you hang. It's also used to hold up bugnet, hammock sock, ridgeline organizer and other stuff.

So I need a ridge line to set up a bug net, and the tarp?

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacQuest View Post
    So I need a ridge line to set up a bug net, and the tarp?
    There are mainly two different ridgelines. Hammock and tarp. Most bugnets will sit on your hammock ridgeline. Your tarp is set-up separate from your Eno DN Hammock and will be on it's own suspension and have it's own ridgeline either over it or under it depending on the tarp, and/or preference of hanging ones tarp. This keeps the tarp taunt and gives you room to move around under it.

Not to confuse the issue, but the Eno Guardian bug net has attachment points to hang on its' own suspension....but most of us don't use that suspension. We just run our hammock suspensions through the openings on the ends, and allow it to lay over the hammock ridgeline. The hammock ridgeline is extrememly useful. I personally wouldn't want to be without it. JMO.

Is that helping to clarify a bit? Once your in your yard or at a close by park playing with your system, and learning about it, it will start making more since to you and it'll come together a lot easier.

I also recommend getting to a group hang. It is the best place to see other set-ups, ask questions, get help, try other hammocks and meet great people.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use a non-structural ridge line on my ENO DN, which is just my personal preference. I am a small guy (5'6, 155) so I don't have nay problems squirming around to find a comfortable position in my DN. I don't use a bug net with my DN. However, my hiking buddy does. He uses the same non-structural RL and uses it to help his net stay up and off of his face. Remember, YMMV
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Red face

So, I'm ditching the MacCat and getting the Superfly from Warbonnet. Would para cord be a good tieout for the fly? Or will it stretch. I watched Shugs video and many others about the tarp, seems simple, I might be mistaken.

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    My preferred way of tying up my Superfly is the single tarp ridgeline with Dutch hardware from whoopieslings.com

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacQuest View Post
    So, I'm ditching the MacCat and getting the Superfly from Warbonnet. Would para cord be a good tieout for the fly? Or will it stretch. I watched Shugs video and many others about the tarp, seems simple, I might be mistaken.
    I wouldn't use paracord, its stretchy. Popular options are zing-it or lash-it. I use extra Kelty Triptease that I have laying around, since it has a dyneema core.

There are a lot of ways to pitch a tarp. I attach figure 9s to the ends of my tarp and use Kelty Triptease for my tie outs and guy lines. The lines are fixed to the tree and adjustments are made tightening or loosening each side via the figure 9s.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWosj...e_gdata_player

This video is very helpful. So for the attachments to the tree for the tarp, use Kelty Triptease or lash it, then carry it out fully? I'm problably making this more complicated than it needs to be.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast