DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i got mine yesterday but i am sending it back.i want to have the hammock shortened 1 foot and the ridge line shortened 6 inchesneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    none of my tarps will work with this hammock.i dont think my 3/4 length under quilts will either..i hope to have this hammock shortened will work.i have to have this hammock shortened to 9 ft 6 inches and the ridge line shortened accordingly.neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Hey Guys, Sorry I have not been around I was out in the Piney woods. I think its important to mention something that I forgot to mention. The customer service of BIAS, the quality of the hammock, Stitching and the willingness to customize the hammock for my needs were all excellent. I am very happy with the hammock I just do not think it's the hammock for me. Brian that is no knock on your product and please don't take it personally as you make one fine hammock. Biran and all of BIAS staff have provided excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    I won't deny some stretch in the WW, but I've used one quite a bit (at 230 lbs) and I find it pretty low (again, it's there, but within the realm of what I call minor) on stretch. What suspension system are you using? I ask this because the first time I got in a hammock, It stretched a ton. Turns out it wasn't the hammock, but the ENO SlapStraps my friend set up. Polyester webbing and AmSteel have ZERO stretch. If you're using polypro straps, you'll get a tiny bit more stretch than with polyester. If you're using nylon, you may as well use bungee.

If you try polyester webbing and still find the stretch unmanageable, it has to be the hammock. I'd be disappointed to hear that was the case, but I understand and would be willing to work with you on a return.

Holler back at me via email if you find it won't work.

Thanks, LRR!
    Hey Brian thanks for the reply, I am currently using dynaglide woopies and Dutch Straps which is the same suspension I use on all my hammocks so I do not think its the suspension system. I will send you an email shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    If an old pro like LRR is using ENO SlapStraps or any nylon strap, I'll eat them. They taste good lightly salted and are high in fiber. Then again, maybe he has a museum of hammock-related items, kind of like I still have my first IBM laptop with two floppy drives, weighed 15 or 20 lbs., and I just can't get rid of it. I still have fond memories of using that laptop in college.

I use slap straps would you like them BBQ, slow roasted, or sauteed.

I can see how stretch, however minor, could be annoying to some people. One of my first hammocks, the Byer Mosquito Hammock, is quite stretchy, in my opinion, but the stretchiness does not annoy me. There's a lot of things that annoy me about that hammock, but the stretchiness isn't one of them.

I have a BIAS DL, and I don't notice any stretchiness. Then again, one would expect less stretch from a DL, I think.

If the Weight Weenie doesn't work out for you, LRR, I'll take it. I've been eyeing one for a while.
    Thanks Silver Surfer Ill shoot you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I think the stretch as related to comfort is a personal preference thing. Perhaps we need to add another factor in addition to weight when selecting a hammock material.

The prospective hanger should be asked whether they like to sleep on a hard mattress at home or a marshmallow of a mattress, or something in between. I suspect that the person that likes a hard mattress at home won't tolerate a lot of stretch in their hammock. Nor will the person sleeping on a marshmallow at home, prefer a non-stretching polyester hammock.

Then again, I could be completely wrong
    MAD777 you hit the nail right on the head for me excellent point and way of explaining this situation. It's not that their is anything wrong with the hammock or craftsmanship its just I personally find their to be to much stretch while it does not seem like it bothers other I find it uncomfortable for me personally. Ive used various hammocks and I like a very low stretch hammock. The most comfortable hammock I've used is a WBBB and Traveler 1.1 DBL find very low stretch. I even find the Traveler 1.75 to be right on the cusp of being to stretchy. I wanted to try this BIAS 1.1 single out to see how light I could really go but am not willing to sacrifice the comfort of my sleep to save the ounces. I like my mattress and pillow at home to be firm. I do not like sleeping with a sinking feeling. So this just leads me to believe that I need a very low stretch hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    No... I think you're right. And LRR is probably picking up on that stretch. I see it as minor, but Mad, you're right... It's all about preference. I like my mattress SLIGHTLY soft otherwise my hip gets numb from side sleeping! And I don't doubt/argue that there is stretch in the hammock. To me... barely discernible. But if it were food and someone tossed some curry in it, I could taste it (and gag) from across the street. Same for some with hammock stretch as you say. It's why there are so many hammock options and makers. Lots of choices for discerning users!
    You got it, and I do pick up on that stretch. That does not mean that it is not an excellent hammock it just means that it does not work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That's a great analogy - not sure it's completely transferable from beds to hammocks, but still a great analogy. For example, I like hard beds, but I don't necessarily care about stretch in a hammock. The hammock sleep, to me, transcends issues of soft vs. hard, but for some it may not.

It may be that I just need to experience more hammocks, stretchier versus non-stretchy material, and then I will have more a more nuanced opinion of what I like. In all likelihood, the more hammocks you try, the more educated you will be about your own personal preferences.

For example, I tried the Warbonnet Blackbird for one night. The night I tried it, I was late getting to camp, was unfamiliar with the strap suspension, never got it pitched right (foot end higher than head), and it was 17 degrees and my fingers lost the desire to fiddle with it anymore. I just jumped in, didn't have it dialed in, and didn't have a great night's sleep. I was also undergoing an epiphany that I didn't particularly like integrated bugnets in winter. So I didn't give the WBBB a fair shake at all. I didn't like it, but one night is not a fair evaluation. I know that. One day I will buy one and give it a more thorough evaluation to see if it meets my needs.

That's the great thing about this forum: you can buy it, try it, sell it, and not lose much in the long run. And if you reconsider a certain product, you can do it all again!
    So very true, I will be sending you a PM.

Taking the WBBB that you mentioned as an example, it comes in 1.1 and 1.7 oz material and there's a double layer version of each. That's 4 different "hardness" settings. It kind of sounds like a "Sleep Number" bed!
    And again MAD777 that's my thoughts exactly. Like I mentioned before the 1.75 single traveler is right on the cusp of being to stretchy for me to find it comfortable but in my every on going quest to lighten up my pack I can tolerate it and find it to be comfortable. However with the WW 1.1 single I just find it has to much stretch for my liking.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Images

BIAS WW Micro DL - WOW!

Okay, i posted earlier that I pulled the trigger. That was on a Friday afternoon, I was given a 10 day lead time, I was actually hanging in the Hammock the following Wednesday. That is 3 working days! Amazing. So ofcourse I planned to work all week and because of their amazing customer service I ended up taking a couple of days this week tweaking the hang. I love it. So I decided to go ahead and take it out this weekend for a shakedown run in the Kisatchie NF. I will get one night hanging before I take it into the gorge next week. The Buginator, so sweet, so easy to get in and out of, fits tight and right. Still working with the ridgeline looking for that sweet spot, I will switch out the fixed with an adjustable I have to see where it is and then fix it. Amazingly, I have not had any of the issues you may have seen me post earlier about the ridgeline on my ENO DN. Top notch! I ordered some mesh sleeves from the Wilderness Logic crew and I am switching out the stuff sack with a Bishop Bag w/ exterior pockets. Cant wait! Thanks BIAS guys, you are the best!

Wes

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    here is my bias wieght weenie micro,with my toxaway tarp and jarbridge under quilt. i like the adjustable ridge line set at 10 feetneo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    here is my bias hammock with the 9 ft fixed ridge line,it was so un comfortable
    the adjustable ridge line set at 10 ft is much betterneo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I also prefer longer than the customary 83% ridgeline, closer to 90% actually. I also like 11' long hammocks, which puts my ridgeline about 9'-9". Therefore, I use a tarp with a 12' ridgeline. That's a lot to swallow for a gram weenie, but I went to hammocks for the comfort!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I also prefer longer than the customary 83% ridgeline, closer to 90% actually. I also like 11' long hammocks, which puts my ridgeline about 9'-9". Therefore, I use a tarp with a 12' ridgeline. That's a lot to swallow for a gram weenie, but I went to hammocks for the comfort!
    i agree with 90 percent works me,i have 1 foot at each end coverage with my toxaway 12 ft ridge line tarpneo
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123