Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    heh... with the sleep kit I usually end up wearing at night there is no skin that touches the hammock anyway. Breatability might be factor unless you like the non-breathable hammocks to start with. But I can't spring more than $1/yd for DIY projects at this point. So unless it shows up in disguise at Wally World... I guess I'll never know.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    Mrprez: Have you used Icarex for a hammock before? I found several sources for it (thanks very much for that) but at 0.9 oz/sqyd I'm concerned whether or not it would be strong enough. The descriptions also seem to indicate that it has a "hard" coating so I'm unsure about stickiness in hot weather or breathability. If it will work -- what a crazy light hammock that would make

All: I spoke with the best known supplier of poly, Rockywoods, over the past couple of days. They were kind enough to check with their supplying mills but came up empty. Sounds like we can't expect them to have it in stock for quite a long time. I will say that their customer service is awesome.
    Not too sure about the quoted supplier, by Kite Builder quotes fabric weights by a sail makers yard and not the conventional square yard (36"x36"). A sail makers yard is smaller than a conventional square yard and so fabric weights come out less and sounds better.

I had ordered some poly ripstop from Kite Builder that they had listed at 0.9 oz per square yard. When I gt it and measured and weighed, it was 1.2 or 1.3 oz per square yard. 0.9 sounds better for light weight kites than 1.3.

I called Kite Builder about the weight and they said that using a sail makers yard was common in the kite business.

So, just be careful what you really get.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Not too sure about the quoted supplier, by Kite Builder quotes fabric weights by a sail makers yard and not the conventional square yard (36"x36"). A sail makers yard is smaller than a conventional square yard and so fabric weights come out less and sounds better.

I had ordered some poly ripstop from Kite Builder that they had listed at 0.9 oz per square yard. When I gt it and measured and weighed, it was 1.2 or 1.3 oz per square yard. 0.9 sounds better for light weight kites than 1.3.

I called Kite Builder about the weight and they said that using a sail makers yard was common in the kite business.

So, just be careful what you really get.
    Good to know that. I'd been looking at kite sites myself.

From this glossary

An English/American unit of area for measuring the weight of sailcloth. It is 28.5 inches wide by 36 inches long. To say a piece of cloth is 6.5 ounce means a piece measuring 28.5" by 36" would weigh 6.5 ounces. This rather strange "yard" seems to be a remnant from the days when it was universally agreed that no one would ever be able to build a loom wider than 28.5 inches which would weave sail cloth. (Today 54 inches is common.)
    brought to you no doubt by the same people that call a 1.5" x 3.5" dimension of wood a 2"x4"*

Grizz

*yes, I know that 2"x4" is the dimension when first cut before drying and planeing, but a guy's got to stretch a point sometimes to make a joke...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Was that by chance the Polymax 42-Z they have listed under poly ripstop? They list this as 42grams/sq meter. I was looking at that as a possible material for a double-layer hammock. In reading more about it, it sounds like it has an impermeable coating that would make it non-breathable (yeah--I'm hung up on this thing being breathable). How did the coating seem to you?

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    Was that by chance the Polymax 42-Z they have listed under poly ripstop? They list this as 42grams/sq meter. I was looking at that as a possible material for a double-layer hammock. In reading more about it, it sounds like it has an impermeable coating that would make it non-breathable (yeah--I'm hung up on this thing being breathable). How did the coating seem to you?
    No - I just checked their site and they no longer list the ripstop I purchased.

I think a lot of these sites turn over their stock and move on to other fabrics.