WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    webbing

Do I have to get another tarp?

I just got my new WBBB and Asym Diamond tarp as a birthday present. I set them up Friday night and slept in it, but to my chagrin, it appears that the tarp doesn't cover the hammock. I did tie my tarp ridgeline pretty high so I couldn't get a bird's-eye view, but the tarp didn't appear to cover the shelf. I also cinched the webbing up too tightly and had a hard time getting it loose, but that is another thread.

Do I need to return the tarp and get a bigger one or is there a way to make this work?

Thanks,
    Rob

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redrob View Post
    I just got my new WBBB and Asym Diamond tarp as a birthday present. I set them up Friday night and slept in it, but to my chagrin, it appears that the tarp doesn't cover the hammock. I did tie my tarp ridgeline pretty high so I couldn't get a bird's-eye view, but the tarp didn't appear to cover the shelf. I also cinched the webbing up too tightly and had a hard time getting it loose, but that is another thread.

Do I need to return the tarp and get a bigger one or is there a way to make this work?

Thanks,
    Rob
    I don't own either, but it looks like the WBBB has a fixed ridgeline of 98", and the Asym Diamond tarp is 132" x 100 inches. So the 132" part should be over your ridgeline, giving you 17" inches of coverage on each end.

Are you sure you aren't hanging the 100" along the ridgeline?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I haven't used that tarp, but I would figure that if you bring that thing down almost to the hammock ridgeline, you should be ok.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Have you tried dropping it down closer to the hammock. The measurements of that tarp should work, but...you have the tarp and hammock not us. Play with it more and see what you can do. If you feel uncomfortable with what your seeing after playing with it a bit, then return it for a bigger one that you will be happier with.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think I misread your post. You're complaining about side coverage and I thought you meant ridgeline coverage. A diamond asym is probably not going to give you as much coverage as a hex or something with doors, but the dimensions of your tarp (132" x 100") are pretty good (compared to Hennessy's stock tarp with a 63" x 99" dimension). If you pitch it lower, you should be fine.

Where I live by the coast, I get a lot of wind-driven rain so I just don't like asym tarps - they let too much rain in. I went straight from an asym to a tarp with doors, the HG 4s Cuben Fiber tarp. And I'm thinking of getting a Superfly too 'cause doors rock.

Of course, I could get the camo Mamajamba ($135 - 13.5 oz) and a door kit ($75 - 8 oz) and then I could take the doors only when needed. Still I think I'd rather have the Superfly camo ($155 - 19 oz) and suffer the weight penalty but always be prepared. Plus it would be cheaper than the Mamajamba with door kit.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    +1 on the Superfly It's nice having the doors and the weight penalty is not too great for me. It is a very nice tarp. Just tie the doors back if you don't need them. That's my 2 cents.

Hammock
    DIY Multicam, Multicam BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoneix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Superfly is the way to go all year, its not a weight penalty if it keeps you dry and keeps the wind off of ya!

• + New Posts