Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Only the central portion of the trail is within the Talladega NF. there are 2 wilderness areas also. there are 3 lakes and dams on the northern end.
    I thought the part I hiked was inside the Talladega National Forest (and the 2 wilderness areas where too?). The maps I used are all labeled Talladega National Forest (an overview map and 5 maps for the Pinhoti) and covered between Porter Gap and High Point... I think. They had just roughed in a trail connecting to the AL/GA border but some of it was still on private land and there was some issues about hiking on the private land. They were just talking about extending the trail south.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Cuffs: Man! I wanna go, especially if Youngblood and Coffee will be there! But... too late, I've already lined up a long hike in Watuga with a buddy.

Let's do do some of the Pinhotti sometime later this fall/winter/spring (where can I find some other emoticons?) (thumbs up).

Coffee: <6 hours by car N.O. to B'ham, ~ 2 hrs from B'ham to a trailhead on the Pinhotti. If I were in town you'd have a free place to stay, and I might even give you something to eat. but, alas, fair Yorick, I'll be 400 miles north of here at that time.

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    Cuffs: Man! I wanna go, especially if Youngblood and Coffee will be there! But... too late, I've already lined up a long hike in Watuga with a buddy.

Let's do do some of the Pinhotti sometime later this fall/winter/spring (where can I find some other emoticons?) (thumbs up).

Coffee: <6 hours by car N.O. to B'ham, ~ 2 hrs from B'ham to a trailhead on the Pinhotti. If I were in town you'd have a free place to stay, and I might even give you something to eat. but, alas, fair Yorick, I'll be 400 miles north of here at that time.
    Tell your buddy to come this way instead!!!!

BTW, if you can, drop by Alabama Outdoors in Homewood on 31 sometime... Im working there p/t to support my hangin' habit!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I thought the part I hiked was inside the Talladega National Forest (and the 2 wilderness areas where too?). The maps I used are all labeled Talladega National Forest (an overview map and 5 maps for the Pinhoti) and covered between Porter Gap and High Point... I think. They had just roughed in a trail connecting to the AL/GA border but some of it was still on private land and there was some issues about hiking on the private land. They were just talking about extending the trail south.
    some is in TNF (Not The North Face!) The paper maps are very old. The AHTS, and the TNF Rangers are all teaming up with Nat Geo and trying to put a plan together for one of those really nice water/tear proof maps!!! On this hike, Im gathering data (gps/elevations/water/camps...) to add to their database.

The trail does now run to Flagg Mtn, but from Bull Gap to Flagg is road walk...

Images
    Hmm didn't realize it would be an 8 hour or so drive. I'll have to bow out then. Not wanting to spend 16 solo hours in a car for a weekends worth of hiking.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Hmm didn't realize it would be an 8 hour or so drive. I'll have to bow out then. Not wanting to spend 16 solo hours in a car for a weekends worth of hiking.
    How longs it take you to get to Birmingham?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    How longs it take you to get to Birmingham?
    5 hours from New Orleans.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Cuffs,

Right now it doesn't look like I will make it, so don't look for me. Have a great hike, that is a neat trail. I have lots of fond memories of the things and places I saw there. I appreciate the invite, we'll have to do it another time.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hi Cuffs, I'm afraid that I will not be able to make this trip. I was really looking forward to it. A recent health issue has me sidetracked for a while. I was hoping I would get the ok from my doctor at UAB yesterday but he advised to hold off a little longer. Hope you guys have a good trip. Maybe I will see you next time I'm in Alabama Outdoors.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12