DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie

condensation problems

ive been waking up in my hammock to find a pool of water between my sleeping bag and pad... im pretty sure its condensation. anyone got any tips on how to avoid this?

Images
    Welcome to the forum,
    A big problem with pads in winter. You could try a space blanket between you and the sleeping bag.
    This vapor barrier would keep the SB dry but your sleeping cloths might be damp.
    Of course the best fix is to have all materials under your tarp made from breathable materials.
    Under quilts really accel in cold weather.
    hth

Hammock
    ENO Single
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag & pad
    Suspension
    Straps/Line&knots
    dj,

I've had the same problem in cold weather. I switched to using a wool blanket covered by a light fleece throw.

d

Images
    Well, it is either condensation- the pad itself is a vapor barrier - or actual sweat, if your back is over heating in the slightest. And the overheating is not far fetched considering how warm this winter has been. But, if it is on your pad more than inside your bag and clothes making them wet, then it seems more likely to be condensation. Could be both I guess.

This can be tough and confusing stuff to deal with, unless you can go to a fully breathable UQ system. And even then, condensation(or sweat) in your UQ, clothing or bag can cause problems if conditions are just right. You might not even aware of it on short trips, unless you weigh your bag. This is why it is such a good idea to dry out when the sun shines.

One unpopular way to decrease this problem is to move your vapor barrier closer to your skin, with VB clothing or maybe liners. Probably with only your thinnest layer next to your skin, then the VB, then all other insulation. That way your vapor stays inside away from your insulation, and even away from your pad. Even if you should sweat it stays next to your skin. When it is finally cold, this approach also gives you 15-20F additional warmth, in addition to keeping the insulation dry.

But some folks can't stand the feel of it, though even they might prefer it to shivering. But lately I have been experimenting with the Stephenson's Warmlite brand called fuzzy stuff that seems way more comfy than any other VB + thin liner layer I have tried. Not expensive either.

Any way, other than that I don't know anything to do but go 100% breathable. Pads seem worse condensation wise in hammocks than on the ground, I suspect because they tend to be curved around your sides.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight (camo)
    Tarp
    Chinook Tarp
    Insulation
    USGIPL
    Suspension
    Amazon Microropes
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, it is either condensation- the pad itself is a vapor barrier - or actual sweat, if your back is over heating in the slightest. And the overheating is not far fetched considering how warm this winter has been. But, if it is on your pad more than inside your bag and clothes making them wet, then it seems more likely to be condensation. Could be both I guess.

This can be tough and confusing stuff to deal with, unless you can go to a fully breathable UQ system. And even then, condensation(or sweat) in your UQ, clothing or bag can cause problems if conditions are just right. You might not even aware of it on short trips, unless you weigh your bag. This is why it is such a good idea to dry out when the sun shines.

One unpopular way to decrease this problem is to move your vapor barrier closer to your skin, with VB clothing or maybe liners. Probably with only your thinnest layer next to your skin, then the VB, then all other insulation. That way your vapor stays inside away from your insulation, and even away from your pad. Even if you should sweat it stays next to your skin. When it is finally cold, this approach also gives you 15-20F additional warmth, in addition to keeping the insulation dry.

But some folks can't stand the feel of it, though even they might prefer it to shivering. But lately I have been experimenting with the Stephenson's Warmlite brand called fuzzy stuff that seems way more comfy than any other VB + thin liner layer I have tried. Not expensive either.

Any way, other than that I don't know anything to do but go 100% breathable. Pads seem worse condensation wise in hammocks than on the ground, I suspect because they tend to be curved around your sides.
    What if there was a breathable layer between you and your pad? For example, what if I put a wool blanket or thin fleece fabric on top of my pad? What do you think that would do?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Surplus GI pad
    Here is a good read on vapor barriers.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6264

• + New Posts