Hammock
    WBBB & HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    SF, HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3,EERevX20
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie Sling
    Got it. Thx. Just hoping I could pitch the Thermarest for the warmer months, to get a little insulation for nights in 50's-60's. Looks like there is no substitute for a good UQ. Maybe I'll hang onto the Hennessey a while longer, and focus on an UQ... (now for the Full vs 3/4 length obsession...)
    J3

"No Matter where you go, there you are." -B. Banzai
    -Crede quod habes et habes-

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I agree, and in the heat of summer, nothing can match the delicious coolness felt when a breeze brushes that single layer of nylon. Heaven!

But there's more to it than that. Others have addressed the insect and pad issues, but consider: in recent weeks, we've had reports of at least 2 fabric failures, both single layers (Speer and DIY). I don't remember hearing of any comparable failures of doubles. Help me out here...anyone heard of a double layer failure?
    This is exactly why I made my tablecloth a DL. Reports indicate that a single layer would hold my weight but I am skeptical and want to be absolutely sure. Even with 2 layers the thing is lighter and packs down way smaller than my tent. I still need the rain tarp but that won't push it over on either size or weight.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Thanks for posting this question! It helped me decide to get a DL 1.1oz hammock.

I like the idea of having more versatile gear, all while saving my butt just that little bit extra from being someone's lunch.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird 1.6 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* UQ, 30* TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I ordered a WBBB XLC 1.1DL last week and am very excited to get it. I bought the 1.1 DL based on the recommendation from Brandon regarding my size. I had the option for the 1.7 SL but here is my logic. A DL is better for insects in hotter weather when no under quilt is needed. I have a HG 40* UQ with +1oz that I intend to use in the shoulder seasons (and cool summer nights here in the Great White North) and then if I so choose I can place a pad between layers combined with my UQ for those sub freezing nights. I don't intend to winter camp in my hammock as I have a canvas hot tent for that.

Jim

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird 1.6 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* UQ, 30* TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I should add that I mainly canoe camp and my hiking is generally limited to only a few miles at a time, so weight is less of a concern. I would like to do a through hike or large loop some time but our long distance trails do not offer anything but stealth camping along the route. For example the brochure for the Rideau trail from Kingston to Ottawa recommends using two cars and leaving one at each end of your daily hike route so that you can get to a camp ground, motel or b&b for the night. Seems pointless to me.

Jim

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I would prefer a dl hammock because I see myself using a sleeping pad most of the time. Perhaps, one day I will try out a sl though. I have been leaning more toward smaller and lighter backpacking lately

Hammock
    UK Hammocks Woodsman
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    One point that was not mentioned yet (well, okay, maybe indirectly): dog-compatibility. people I talked to recommended a double-layer hammock such that scatches made by the claws don't (necessarily) cost you your hammock. the double-layer is (while not more resistant in each layer) doesn't loose structural strength as fast from a few holes ...
    Last edited by flux; 02-21-2014 at 16:14.

Hammock
    EasyHammock Hiker XL green
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp2
    Insulation
    Down sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Issue EasyHammock
    Some of us don't have a choice with 270 pounds above the ankles...

Hammock
    Yukon Mosquito
    Tarp
    2mil dropcloth
    Suspension
    whoopieeeeee
    ^ If you can break a tablecloth hammock, which can hold myself and another person without issues (~330 lbs), the layers of fabric in your hammock are going to be the least of your problems.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok Tarp 3.0
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 9LW
    Suspension
    Amok Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    I only use quilts, mostly partial under quilts and I prefer the double layer hammocks. I like to use the double layer to hold some Insul-Bright in the winter months. The rest of the time it holds my foot pad in place. The single layer hammocks force me to put a pad in my TQ and that is less comfortable to me.
    I prefer the dbl layer hammocks and will stick with them even if there is a weight penalty.
    Any idea how much warmth that adds? I'm about to get a 20* underquilt, since I haven't been winter camping in years. But I'd like to possibly stretch it to some winter hanging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast