Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'd love a tarp that's multi use, but what do you wear in camp if it's raining? I've considered it, and thought about those disposable plastic ponchos that you can buy. These can't weigh much of anything.

Follow up question: I started a poncho tarp project a while ago but never attached the hood to the cape. For those of you that have the golite (or any other commercial poncho tarp) how long is the "neck" part of the hood? I assume it has to be tall enough to be able to seal up the hood in tarp mode, but I don't know how long that should be.
    Last edited by lustreking; 07-06-2012 at 14:55.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I sent a PM, but here's the short answer: Use the tarp AND a rain jacket.

Ponchos as multi-use tarp + rain wear is tricky. I recommend the dual use only for die-hards (like me) who use it as a system. I have lots of tarp options I can use, depending on conditions, and the poncho is just one of them. If the forecast is predicting a lot of rain, then the poncho may not be the best option because it is difficult to keep completely dry if you're using it as your primary shelter and rain wear.

That said, a good compromise combination would be the poncho (7 oz) plus a light rain top like the North Face Triumph anorak (6 oz) or the DriDucks ultralight top (6 oz). Combined, you're still under 14 oz, which is less than many hex tarps on the market, plus you've got more options and versatility.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Just went to Go Lites web site and it said they are out of stock on the poncho liner at this time. Don't think it would provide enough coverage for my set up as a tarp but I could use it replace my heavier rain coat.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    Quote Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
    I'd love a tarp that's multi use, but what do you wear in camp if it's raining? I've considered it, and thought about those disposable plastic ponchos that you can buy. These can't weigh much of anything.

Follow up question: I started a poncho tarp project a while ago but never attached the hood to the cape. For those of you that have the golite (or any other commercial poncho tarp) how long is the "neck" part of the hood? I assume it has to be tall enough to be able to seal up the hood in tarp mode, but I don't know how long that should be.
    Kelty makes lightweight packable rain shells. I got one at target for not much. Packs to the size of a small paperback book. Same with their ponchos. I carry em in my EDC bag as loaners, backups and the poncho as an expedient tarp. Guy lines stay attached in the pouch for this purpose. Idk if I'd use it as a rain fly for my hanmock, but the shell is a good piece of complimentary gear.
    Hammock Gear List: https://lighterpack.com/r/cwjf0g

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345