Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad

Suggestions for a 3day/2nighter in Indiana?

Ideally, I'd like to do something where I don't have to pay $5 to get in, and another $8/night to sleep.

Already hiked much of the Deam Wilderness (Grubb/Peninsula/Axsom,Sycamore,Martin/Cope Hollow).

Any suggestions? I figure I'd probably want to cover about 10 - 12 miles per day at least.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    There"s not too many options in Indiana for that kind of mileage. Might check out the KT (Knobstone Trail), it is approx. 58 mile thru trail, although some of the southern parts may be closed due to last years tornado damage. There are some loops at the northern end(Delaney Park and Spurgoen Hollow), and the trail can be accessed at several trailheads. More info on trail here: http://knobstonetrail.freeforums.org/
    and here: http://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/4224.htm Be warned: water is scarce.
    Hope this helps, Hang Easy!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    +1 on the KT for sure. Even with the first 10 miles closed, there are lots of opportunities for shorter section hikes from one trail head to the next.

I didn't see you mention anything outside of the DWA. Nebo Ridge Area is just down the road a little to the east across Tower Ridge Rd. I actually prefer it to the Deem's MU's myself.

Does anyone know what's going on, in the Southern Nat Forrest Purchase, around Patoka? Is there any reason there aren't any established hiking trails down there? I know there has to be. Perhaps the map and compass/gps folks could take a whack at it, and make a go of it. Just because there are no trail guides or the pressure that those bring, doesn't mean that's a bad thing. Just seems like a huge resource being overlooked.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    adventure trail or tecumshen trail??? later is pretty rugged i hear
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    The Tecumseh trail has several road sections, but does start out in Morgan Monroe SP Back Country Area.

It is the propose Northern Terminus for the combined TT, Pioneer Trail, Knobstone Trails. The Pioneer section runs through the Nebo/Hickory Ridge Area of the National Forrest Purchase.

The KT section is far and away the toughest section of the entire proposed 140 miles.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    We are supposed to finally get a 1" or so of rain Mon/Tues (cross your fingers) From Bloomington south,,we are 9.5" and more,,short of rain fall for the year so far..very dry,,even the trees are already shedding lots of leaves due to heat and lack of moisture. Where ever you go,,take water unless you know for sure there is water available. Check the mileage and head to Red River Gorge if it were me as its not that far and great hiking/packing. About 4.5 or so hours from Bloomington.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    The Gorge sounds like the place for me!

Swift Camp Creek Trail #219

Distance: 7 hard and difficult miles

Rating: See above note

Swift Camp Creek Trail lies entirely in the Clifty Wilderness. As you enter the area you are greeted with the following “WILDERNESS- We do not guarantee your enjoyment or your return.”
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad
    Well, I ended up just doing a quick overnighter on the Low Gap Trail in Morgan-Monroe to get my fix. Tecumseh's on the list of things to do, just need to find a couple days off and a a friend that's easy to guilt into shuttling me back to my car. It'll happen soon enough.

I'm hesitant about Knobstone specifically because of the water issues. I'm not as familiar with the Tecumseh, but it seems like at least every day, it passes by some sort of dependable water source.

And then the Red River Gorge...it certainly beckons. I'm planning to make a week-long trip out there in the beginning of August right before I rejoin the chain gang that is the third year of law school.

Looks like my next outing will be the Nebo Ridge Trail. Gotta see what I'm missing out on with the Hoosier Hangs.

Hammock
    Tonka Gear Gathered
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    HGincubator/burrow
    Suspension
    4wheel independant
    Hoosier Hangs have been great. I've gone to the last two.

Just did Red River Gorge a few weeks ago. Trip report was posted in the forums. All I can say about RRG is SPECTACULAR. Great place for hiking and camping. at 600' in the valleys were streams, rock formations, excellent canopy, etc. at 1200' on the ridges the views were awesome. Would highly recommend it. Understand this is coming from a northern Indiana "flatlander"
    “Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.”
    ― Steven Wright

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crashvandicoot View Post
    Well, I ended up just doing a quick overnighter on the Low Gap Trail in Morgan-Monroe to get my fix. Tecumseh's on the list of things to do, just need to find a couple days off and a a friend that's easy to guilt into shuttling me back to my car. It'll happen soon enough.

I'm hesitant about Knobstone specifically because of the water issues. I'm not as familiar with the Tecumseh, but it seems like at least every day, it passes by some sort of dependable water source.

And then the Red River Gorge...it certainly beckons. I'm planning to make a week-long trip out there in the beginning of August right before I rejoin the chain gang that is the third year of law school.

Looks like my next outing will be the Nebo Ridge Trail. Gotta see what I'm missing out on with the Hoosier Hangs.
    If you have a week,,head on down to the Smokies,,and hit the high alititude for some cool nites and pleasant days,,anything around 4 or 5000 ft is going to feel mighty nice compared to hot summer August days at the RRG. Its only 8 hrs from Bloomington to get to GSMNP.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast