Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Arrow Video: How to hammock camp with a dog.

Hey everyone, there has been a lot of talk on here asking about hammocks and dogs which I think is really cool. It's great that people want to take their pooches out in the woods with them for some trail time.

So, me and the pups put together a little video demonstrating some tips on how to hammock camp with a dog. Thanks for watching!

Disclaimer: Please make sure both you and your dog are properly prepared before taking them backpacking. Do some testing to find out what temperatures they are comfortable in and some other things that will help them have a great time. It takes a little practice before putting in those long miles, but once you get it down right, there is no better hiking buddy than your best friend.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB double layer
    Tarp
    Noah Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Camping Pad (2)
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Cuddle puddle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB, Clark NA
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4 season
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20*,NoSniv
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopies
    This is just a great video. Some terrific tips and ideas. I'm going to take Zodi (35#, Bull Whip (Pit bull/ Whippet mix)) backpacking with me soon and I'll put these ideas to work. Thanks again. PS I also subscribed to your YouTube channel.
    Still looking for a cool sig line

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Fronkey -

That is an awesome video with great tips.

You have some great dogs there.

Any tips on how to prevent your pups from getting tangled up in your tarp lines?

David

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Great Video!!!
    I love taking my dogs out and they love it too.
    I have a piece from an old vinyl tablecloth that I use for their groundcloth. It's thicker than Tyvec so it smoothes out some of the twigs and they know it's theirs so they're comfortable on it. They carry it so I don't worry about the weight.
    Now if I can just get the beagle to stop barking at everything that moves.

Cool squirrel too!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Pal ... another great video with great tips. Not to mention it covers points that an individual can think about and adapt to their particular situation. I got a chuckle ... when all of a sudden you went from two dogs to three! The more the merrier!

And ... SQUIRRELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL L!!!!!!!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by copleycw View Post
    Cuddle puddle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cloud of puppies!!

Quote Originally Posted by gridge View Post
    This is just a great video. Some terrific tips and ideas. I'm going to take Zodi (35#, Bull Whip (Pit bull/ Whippet mix)) backpacking with me soon and I'll put these ideas to work. Thanks again. PS I also subscribed to your YouTube channel.
    Thanks dude. I look forward to seeing the trip report for gridge and Zodi! Thanks a bunch for subbing too.

Quote Originally Posted by adkphoto View Post
    Fronkey -

That is an awesome video with great tips.

You have some great dogs there.

Any tips on how to prevent your pups from getting tangled up in your tarp lines?

David
    Thanks man.
    There are a lot of things to consider with guylines. For example, weather and location. Try and hang your tarp higher if the weather permits and stretch your guy lines out further out of reach of your pup. If it's really rainy or windy you can do what I call "mini porch mode." What I do is I take a couple sticks about 12" long and raise my tarp a little high on one side (The side of my dog) and that gives me the extra height to stretch out my guylines. Make sense?

Again, campsite selection is very important with a dog. But, I have yet to have a problem as long as I take the time to find a good spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberrr View Post
    Great Video!!!
    I love taking my dogs out and they love it too.
    I have a piece from an old vinyl tablecloth that I use for their groundcloth. It's thicker than Tyvec so it smoothes out some of the twigs and they know it's theirs so they're comfortable on it. They carry it so I don't worry about the weight.
    Now if I can just get the beagle to stop barking at everything that moves.

Cool squirrel too!
    Thanks a lot Timberrr!
    That ground cloth sounds great. The beagle in my video likes to bark at everything too. I call her "Roo Roo" because she loves to "Roooooo Rooooo"

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Pal ... another great video with great tips. Not to mention it covers points that an individual can think about and adapt to their particular situation. I got a chuckle ... when all of a sudden you went from two dogs to three! The more the merrier!

And ... SQUIRRELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL L!!!!!!!
    Thanks man. That's exactly what I was going for, just a few tips to help some people out. I am hoping this sparks some ideas from other people, so we get more good ideas and we can use this thread as the "Go to" dog hanging place.

All dogs are different and there is more than a few ways to hang (SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!) ........ with a dog.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad
    For dogs that like something to sleep inside of, check out the 5x7 outdoor products backpacker's tarp from Walmart. A hiking pole or a stick and it makes a perfect dog sized shelter.

For a trail leash, I just use paracord.

Target sells a very packable dog raincoat which also works well for keeping them warm. I think its the boots and Barkley brand, and sells for $8.

For dog packs, I use the cheap PETCO one.It probably isn't good for a lot if weight, but my beast can haul two days of his food and his rain jacket in it. Try not to put more than a couple pounds in it; most dogs simply aren't designed to be pack animals.

Finally, +1 to fronkey's suggestion to test your dog and see what works. My dog isn't too bright when it comes to hydrating, so until he learns, I'm hauling a liter more water than I normally would.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    love it great video!
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    MazGear
    Tarp
    MazGear/SuperFly
    Insulation
    MazGear/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Nice vid.....

Another thing that you can do is make a coat for them for the winter months. We made this one ( see Attached Pic ) from a kids jacket that we found for 5 bucks. The so called covers or sweaters for dogs don't really work well because they are open at the bottom and don't provide the needed insulation for the bottom of their chest. One thing to keep in mind is to check what the jacket is insulated with....make sure it's synthetic!!! Dogs are dogs!!! And they will get wet or whatever else. Our dog (Momo) loves her jacket and loves the fact that her camping season just got longer!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast