Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: outdoor bedroom

outdoor bedroom

Since I have no place inside that SHE will let me hang, I built a hammock stand for the yard, works perfect. I hung my NX250 last Friday and have slept in it every night since. The low temps each night have varied from a low of 50* to a low of 65*. I have not used any bottom insulation other than what is provided by the empty pockets under the hammock. There has been rain three nights but no heavy winds. I have been able to sleep comfortably with only top cover and light clothing. I am sure that I would not want to winter camp with no bottom insulation, but for summer nights I seem to have no problem. I plan to give it a few more nights at least, just to be sure. If I haven't said so before, I sure do like this hammock and how I sleep in it. Happy hanging, ya'll.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Yep, to me, the insulation qualities of those bottom pockets is one of the best features of the Clark. Sure, you start with just a few more ounces initially, but no extra bottom insulation is needed until I get down around 50* and that is a real overall weight savings much of the time.

Well, last night made 11 in a row. Varieties of weather, cool, warm, wet dry. Best of all I was high and dry, the Vertex rain fly is great, plenty of coverage, and I can still hang it high enough to move around under it, and the shock cords I added to the guy lines do a perfect job of keeping even tension on the fly. Other than the "excessive weight" that some feel this set up has, I cannot find any problems at all. Happy hanging, folks.

Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 Season
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/MSH
    Images
    I'm looking to do a week in the backyard in July, while the rest of the fam is away at summer camp. I have no trees, so I need to do a stand. I have a two pole DIY anchor system that I'd like to try, but I'm thinking I need to do a turtledog stand.

The other option is to load up the pack, and do a couple of overnights close to the office. Not sure if it would be better to be at home base, or away. I'll probably do both.

stand

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    I'm looking to do a week in the backyard in July, while the rest of the fam is away at summer camp. I have no trees, so I need to do a stand. I have a two pole DIY anchor system that I'd like to try, but I'm thinking I need to do a turtledog stand.

The other option is to load up the pack, and do a couple of overnights close to the office. Not sure if it would be better to be at home base, or away. I'll probably do both.
    I made an outdoor stand, and it is a take off of "some" others, but it works perfect. 4x4 verticals on ends, 5 ft. tall, 2- 2x4's on the ground, 2, 4x4 angle braces on a 45* angle to support the verticals against the pair of 2x4's along the ground, and a pair of 2x6's under it all to keep it from falling over(2x4 works here as well) just what I had at hand. Even if it in the yard at home, it is still outdoors. Happy hanging.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Hey Old4Hats- welcome to the "outdoor bedroom" club. I have been sleeping outside using my stand for about 50 nights this year. When I started I was using my down TQ & UQ. Now that warmer temps are here I am using my summer setup of a pad and a fleece throw. I have to say that sleeping in my blackbird is more comfortable than my bed. I do like waking up to the sunrise and chirping birds every morning. I do miss my wife however....I see a niche market developing -a two person hammock with a footbox.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

O.K., it is now 20 nights and counting. It is so reassuring to know that when I get into that hammock that I will be comfortable, and that I will sleep easily and wake up feeling good. I remember when my bed offered that advantage, but as time has passed, not anymore. I remember the first time I read of one of you folks sleeping in a hammock every night, that I thought that was a bit much, not anymore. I totally understand. Building a turtle-dog stand tomorrow aimed at indoor activity. Well maybe indoor.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    O.K., it is now 20 nights and counting. It is so reassuring to know that when I get into that hammock that I will be comfortable, and that I will sleep easily and wake up feeling good. I remember when my bed offered that advantage, but as time has passed, not anymore. I remember the first time I read of one of you folks sleeping in a hammock every night, that I thought that was a bit much, not anymore. I totally understand. Building a turtle-dog stand tomorrow aimed at indoor activity. Well maybe indoor.

the weather has been beautiful! looks like a little humidity is headed our way... get a long extension cord for the fan!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    the weather has been beautiful! looks like a little humidity is headed our way... get a long extension cord for the fan!
    So far I have been turning in about 11:30 and I haven't had any real heat issues-yet- but when I do a fan will be in order.

Well, my straight is broken, we visited friends overnight and Friday night I ATTEMPTED to sleep in a bed for the first time since 5/31/12. Failure. No sleep. Sore shoulders and back. Bad scene. Sat. night and all was well. I still think about how nice it would have been if I had learned about hammock sleeping as a way of life a whole lot sooner. Oh well, all is well now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast