Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 9
    Insulation
    BMI
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopies

Y.A.H.N. PNW Edition

Hello Hammock People,

I'm a 47 year old dad of three kids (6, 9 and 15), all of whom would love to go on hikes. We live in western Washington State, so there is no shortage of nearby hiking trails. I love hiking the Olympic Peninsula, and also in the redwood forests and the Trinity Alps region of Northern California.

Obviously, I'm interested in trying out hammock camping. It seems like a good idea for our upcoming trip and possibly a step closer to lightweight hiking as well. Funny how the older I get, the more interested I become in ultralight hiking...

A year or so ago, I saw an "Easy Traveller" hammock at an REI and was intrigued. I had this notion that hammocks were for pirate ships and backyard snoozing. I had no idea that people use them for lightweight, low impact camping!

I have a car camping trip to the Redwoods planned in a few weeks that I think will be a great opportunity to try out a hammock. So the search is on!

I'm 6'1" and 280 lbs so I should skip the "traveller" hammocks and some of the ultralight suspensions; the stuff rated for 250 lbs (or maybe skip a few meals). I have $75 in REI gift cards, and Father's Day is around the corner. Given those factors it seems that an ENO DoubleNest would be a good bet. Then again Amazon has ENO DoubleNests on sale -- some color combinations are $50 there. I'm not above saving $15 and using my REI cards for something else. As I have no style sense, I'm not super concerned about color choice.

Aside from a hammock and some tree straps, I'm not sure what else I'll need at first. I have some old tie-down straps I could use, or maybe pick up the Pawleys Island tree straps from Amazon for $18.49.

I have some biners (Petzl Spirit), some high-visibility guy line and a few different tarps around. I also have an old Ridge Rest foam sleeping mat and a Thermarest ultralight self inflating one.

I know that Search is my friend, and I'll be doing plenty of that in the next few days. I just wanted to introduce myself and mention where I'm at as far as trying out hammock camping goes. From what I've already learned on the site, it seems like this is a great place with information freely shared. Your enthusiasm is catching.

I look forward to learning more and reading about your hammock adventures -- and picking up a hammock of my very own in the near future.

Regards,

Flash
    Yet Another Hammock Newbie

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    Welcome from east Tenn. I sure wish i was in the northwest, lucky you!
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Hammock
    Woodsman X Dbl - UKHammocks
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 10x10
    Insulation
    UQ/TQ UKhammocks
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi and welcome.
    I have just started hammocking myself and this friendly forum has help me a lot. I can't really helped you as I am a newbie too. I just had my first hang and I can't wait for my next It is addictive
    I'm sure that you will get some great advice here.
    Good luck from Denmark.
    Cheers Michael

Hammock
    HHED
    Tarp
    stock
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    stock
    Hi neighbor! My only advice in our area is to be sure to find the right tree. Last year during a SAR overnight training we set up camp in an old rock quarry near Skykomish. The only two anchor points I had were my roof rack (work perfect) and a too skinny tree that was too far away. By the time I got my 225lbs in I was grazing the ground. It was a learning experience.
    Roy "RaginRabbi"
    KING COUNTY 4x4 SEARCH AND RESCUE
    "Always prepared...so others may live"
    Hennessy Hammock Aysm Explorer Deluxe (Whoopie Sling conversion)
    2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab nismo 4x4 SAR Beast and Hammock Support Structure.

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    Hello and welcome from the east coast of SC. The ENO is a great hammock to start with but be careful of the Crap... I mean slap straps as they stretch a lot. Or check out the rigs from butt in a sling. They have longer hammocks for around the same price.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 9
    Insulation
    BMI
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopies
    Thanks y'all, I appreciate the warm welcome and the tips!

I looked at the BIAS hammocks. I liked them alot and there's a complete kit on sale for $55 -- which would be awesome if I weren't 280 lbs. Toss in a sleeping bag, mat, Kindle, and bourbon and I'm awfully close to the 300 lb. limit.

Yeah yeah... I know. I'm WORKING on it.

I've read in a lot of places that the Slap Straps are a bit stretchy, and now I have additional confirmation . My first hammock outing is a family reunion, and the last thing I need is to look like a dolt trying to set up a hammock only to have it dragging the ground with my sorry self in it. So no slap straps, and some at-home practice before my two loving brothers get to have fun at my expense.

I just placed an order for:
    * ENO DoubleNest in Purple/Forest (hey, it was on sale)
    * Jacks 'R' Better Tree Straps
    * Jacks 'R' Better Amsteel Whoopie Slings

I have some strong, high-vis line I can use for a ridgeline but the Whoopie Slings adjustable ridgeline looks awful handy too.

Also have some carabiners that should work OK, and I have stuff I can use to make toggles if I were to go that route.

I'm still trying to dredge up my nylon hiking tarp but as it's car camping I could go ghetto with a standard "blue tarp" if it's needed -- probably won't be needed as I'll be in a forested area and it's unlikely to rain or get too cold.

Cheers,

Flash

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Flash, send me a PM with your info & maybe we can meet this weekend for a few minutes. I'll give you some ideas.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 9
    Insulation
    BMI
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopies
    Howdy Boomer... sent you a PM!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast