Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stakeless?

I've used sticks, rocks, shrubs, tied to a loop on my pack and set it far enough out to tension (wasn't expecting rain that night ) While sleeping on boulders I have used what was essentially a stick jam to hold some line in a crack. I have been dying to use this but haven't needed it yet.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Once you're forced to make something work in your spot... or if you want the spot bad enough and you cant sink a stake for some reason you will come up with something to suffice for the night.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Ive often gone with out stakes, but its alot faster and easier to bring a few stakes along!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Tree straps w/MSH
    What about the LNT implications of moving and sawing dead sticks and rocks? There's often a whole ecosystem of life beneath these sorts of things.

How about the damage to saplings with the tieout cord potentially rubbing against the bark all night? I've used both these methods before, but I'm always more comfortable using stakes.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Lightning View Post
    What about the LNT implications of moving and sawing dead sticks and rocks? There's often a whole ecosystem of life beneath these sorts of things.

How about the damage to saplings with the tieout cord potentially rubbing against the bark all night? I've used both these methods before, but I'm always more comfortable using stakes.
    Good point. I had considered the implications of tying off to bushes but not those to moving rocks. One of the major appeals of hammocking for me is LNT so this is certainly a major consideration.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Lightning View Post

And when you drive stakes in the ground, you do not disturb anything, you do accidentally kill a bug or a wurm or....?

I understand the LNT idea, and respect your choices but to me people can sometimes go a bit too far....

Grtz Johan, No LNT but more a LIH, Low Impact Hiker
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY or AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    the annoyance of exerting energy at the end of a tiring day looking for stake substitutes is more than the annoyance of carrying the stakes, for me, at least
    ^^^Ditto

That said, it's almost always easy to find something lying around that will work; sticks, rocks, other objects.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JWinNC View Post
    ^^^Ditto

That said, it's almost always easy to find something lying around that will work; sticks, rocks, other objects.
    Yep. And with a multitool you'd be carrying anyway, with a saw blade, you can cut a branch to length and sharpen a couple stakes in minimal time.

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    sleeping bag/UQ
    To each their own but if I'm not confident of being able to tie to other branches I don't mind carrying just one extra ounce. That's easier than looking for rocks or carving stakes. Maybe okay if it's a short hike and we're just enjoying being outdoors, but usually I'm beat by the time we get to camp.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I carry stakes but some times they just are not as usefule. I use everything, bushes, branches, sticks, boulders, and chock stones. If you are on a river, it seems like there is no end to the possibilities. My favorite is to find a small stone with a shape that easy to tie off to and wedge it behind a couple larger stones. then stack more stones on top to hold it in position.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    HH, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OP nylon thingy
    Insulation
    JRB nest S2S MCII
    Suspension
    treehuggers, rings
    LNT concerns have gotten way, way out of hand these days. I like the idea but I feel people go to the extreme.

We came from the forest and we have every right to return. So what if I leave a few precision cut twigs or branches as opposed to the snapped foliage a bear or deer might leave? Felling trees is one thing but stakes? Seriously people. Get ahold of yourselves! :-D

The impact of the 20+ lbs of nylon and plastic commercial goods on your back have already done more to this planet than you can imagine.

If someone is gonna go off on me for LNT reasons, they had better be clothed in and carrying %100 natural, sustainable gear. Otherwise ya'll keep quiet!

LIH all the way born2roam. Good way to put it.
    You don't want to die? Thats easy. Don't fail
    -Dan Osman

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast