Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here we go!!

Here we go!!

Well, I received travel hammock double last night..This is the first camping hammock I have ever seen...I looked at the little package, the s hooks, the skinny line and wondered..is this strong enough?? Well, I hung it at lunchtime today just on a couple of trees in a strip of woods next to my apartment...I was a bit apprehensive, and eased myself down listening to the snaps, groans, etc...swung my legs up and in , Wow! I wish I knew about these things years ago...spent a hour slightly swinging due to the breeze and actually fell asleep!! Only thing that woke me up was my butt started to scrape the ground due to the stretch...A bit difficult getting out being that low but managed without falling or hurting myself, (a bit disabled)... Once the stretching is done..and some more experience I am sure I am now hooked...So, a couple overnighters to tweak my hang, then, here we go!!! hmmm...straps, cinch buckles , ridgeline, tarp,sewing machine, underquilt, pad, this is gonna be fun...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robgcp View Post
    ..this is gonna be fun...
    That's the correct attitude! Glad you like your first camping hammock.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Congrats! and many more hammocks to come. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Cool!
    It's happened to most of us (stretching to the ground), but be careful about keeping it high enough not to scrub the ground though... you don't want to damage the integrity of your new friend.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Best of luck with your new hammock. I immediately changed the suspension on my wife's travel hammock. It seemed like you'd have to be able to find the perfect distance between trees, not to mention that I don't like that you hang the S-hook directly on the knots of the string that wraps the tree. Not sure that three is a problem with it though. We went with ring buckles.

You may find it easier to get out of if you hang it higher. Plus you won't scrape. You may have to push it down with your hands a little to get your backside into it, but you will appriciate the height when you don't have to climb up out of it. If you want it to be chair height when loaded, you have to hang it quite a bit higher when it's empty. Once the initial stretching is done, you'll get a feel for it.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Hanging the hammock higher is a good tip. Generally speaking the longer the span the higher the attachment points. Welcome to the learning curve. One mobility impaired hanger to another... Have your wife or someone standing by when you try a new hang height. It can make a difference in your ability to get out. It has to do with the ability to plant your feet properly. Best to have someone there as you hop in and out a couple time until you get the feel of it. I thought I would spend the night unexpectedly one time. But I managed to wriggle out.

I owned a regular skeeter beeter which we sold. I couldn't get out of it properly and the women in my life didn't like it. I also have an ATHH. The slapstraps they provide are fine and dandy strength wise I think. I did not like having to use their preset knots. It never really worked for me... but others use them right out of the bag. The S-hooks are fine, I recycled the ATHH S-hooks to another suspension when I retired the ATHH to a tarp. Again, if I can't get out of the top loader why use it... but I can use another tarp.

Travel Hammock makes good stuff as far as I am concerned.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Part of any new endeavor is the learning curve..lots of reading, asking questiions, experimenting, making mistakes, and reaping the rewards...I am sure I will get cold, hang too high, too low, get wet, and probably have a few miserable nights, but then again, part of the curve..And am looking forward to it...Will ask a lot of questions and take advantage of this forum and the knowledge and experience of its members...But now that I can get off the ground, I will be able to camp comfortably for years to come and continue to enjoy the outdoors doing the three things I love to do hunt,fish,and camp under the stars..

Well, Rev,I lost my wife a 7 years ago, and I do have a good friend, but she is confined to a wheelchair and could not help me...few friends...but, I am going to make sure I have a rope attached somewhere to help me get out of any possible stuck in the hammock situation, and a cell phone with coverage on me so I can at least call for help if needed...I realize camping alone is a bit risky due to my disabled condition, but, I love to do it, been doing it all my life, and actually enjoy the solitude...I do have a friend who now owns a camper and will go with him at times, but I have to "go it alone" and spend the time with my God and the gifts he has bestowed on me....

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    got cha.... I hike and camp alone as well and mny wife is tolerant of it. Here is _my_ experience... not to say yours will be the same. I find that I can not get my legs up over the side of the hammock and down to the ground with suffcient plant to stand up. I try pushing on the body of the hammock and it doesn't help because it gives too much. I try sliding my butt up the side of the hammock but I can't get enuf rotation to really make any difference (Grizz can give you a wonderful dissertation on axis of rotation) so I am left high and dry. I kind of have to loop one leg over and kind of go over sideways. Reverse Fosbury Flop if you will. Not exactly attractive or graceful but so far I haven't hurt myself. I lay this out for you so that you can consider this in where to place the :rescue" ropes. Not sure what I would suggest for a gathered end. I know what I would try for a Bridge... but the attachments are different. Have fun.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I plan to spend this weekend experimenting in the little patch of woods behind my apt..how to hang and the best way to get out of the hammock...I am still fairly mobile, just have to be cautious and prepared for possible situations that may occur...Part of my life I have accepted well and it actually makes me a safer person cause I always have to think ahead..will give your flop technique a try...Thanks for the advice...Rob

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast