Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hammock length and comfort

Over the last few days I have read post talking about different lengths of hammocks. One talked about not being comfortable so he made a longer DIY hammock and still wasn't comfortable so he made a short one and didnt like it. Seemed like, from replies, that hammock length does have something to do with comfort.

Based off this and not finding an answer to my question during a search I would like to ask the following.

1.I currently have a ENO doublenest which I used to "Test the water" before spending more money on an expensive hammock to find I didnt like it. The doublenest is 6' wide and 9' 10'' long. I looked at the spec on the claytor and its 4'wide and 9'9'' long. The lengths are about the same so my question here is how will the two feet lost in width affect me if at all?

My dream hammock is the clark NX-200 which is 4'wide and 9' 1'' long. My second question is what/if any change in comfort will losing 9'' have (I'm 6'3'')?

I know the websites say you can fit a 7 foot person blah blah blah but I'm turning to the real experts... you all.

I like my ENO but want a hammock with more features for camping. I would like to know if there is anything I should look for while laying in my ENO that might be a sign NOT to get a shorter/skinnier hammock. Thanks

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    RT

My experience is limited but here its.

I also have a Double wide HAAB. VERY comfortable.

I find I lay much more diagonally in the the HAAB than I do in my DIY Speer type which is bit shorter but at least a foot narrower. It is however very comfortable also .

With the HAAB dble there seems to be lots of "extra" material.

I say go for the Claytor ( I am wanting one also) I think it will be comfortable.

Cc
    Campcrafter

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    the way I see it, more width for a given length gives you the ability to lay at a sharper diagonal, and the sharper the diagonal, the flatter the lay. More length for a given width lessens the diagonal angle you need to achieve a given "flatness", or turned around, for a given diagonal angle increasing the length flattens the lay.

Ask a quant, get a quant's answer.

I have an Eno double-wide and really like the feel of it with a sharp diagonal. It creates a other issues though for camping use, bugnet and underquilt being the most immediate. The natural lay of the underquilt is to hang more or less in line with the axis of the hammock. Unless you do something to affect the natural lay, the underquilt needs to be wide enough to accommodate you laying on it diagonally. I have no experience trying to use an underquilt with my HAAB style bag, others do----hey HC4U, listening???? --- so I'm sure there are solutions.

My DIY dual mode bridge is long and relatively narrow, more in the Claytor style. I like the lay of the ENO better than the lay of the DMB in gathered end mode. This isn't a comparison with Claytor or Clark though, because it's not one of those.

My guess is that whether you like the ENO lay or a Claytor lay is in the end entirely up to you. If the wall of fabric next to your head in the ENO is annoying, then the narrower hammock may make you happier. If the ability to go nicely fetal in the ENO and less so in a narrow hammock is the most important, then you'll put up with the wall of fabric.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 08-21-2008 at 18:53.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    8ft 9 in x 4ft 6in works for me dd hammock
    claytor hammock works well for me too.9ft 10 in.neo
    Last edited by neo; 08-21-2008 at 18:56.
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    My hammock is about 8 ft long and I`m only 5ft tall. I like having the extra room because I like to sleep with my hands above my head. Plus like grizz said, you can get the better angle for the flatter lay.

Images
    my dual mode bridge, which is similar to Grizz's, is about 11 feet long when hung in hh mode. The fabric is 5ft wide (i don't remember how wide Grizz's dmb is). I can get a more comfortable lay in it than I can in any of the HH I've tried, but I haven't spent a night in anything other than a DIY and a Crazy Creek. Anyway, the 11 feet is much better than the other hh clones I've made with shorter (but still 5 feet width) pieces of fabric.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I am constantly amazed at the shortness of the Bridge. Grizz says somewhere he is 6'1" but the suspension arc on the DMB is only 6'. I guess that design is very weight distribution based rather than diagonal lie based. Move too much one way of the other and you can throw off the body support if I understand correctly. I made a straight bridge for flamingo and her feet extend off the end just slightly when she fully stretched out but she finds it very comfortable.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I am constantly amazed at the shortness of the Bridge. Grizz says somewhere he is 6'1" but the suspension arc on the DMB is only 6'. I guess that design is very weight distribution based rather than diagonal lie based. Move too much one way of the other and you can throw off the body support if I understand correctly. I made a straight bridge for flamingo and her feet extend off the end just slightly when she fully stretched out but she finds it very comfortable.
    Thats right. I cut an earlier version a bit longer, 6'6" or 7' between spreader bars but found that if I moved too much to one end or the other the flatness got thrown off. So now I make 'em just long enough.

One of the nice features of the DMB in bridge mode is that the looser head and foot make convenient places to stick an extra bit of sleeping clothes or other things I like to have in the hammock with me. Since the floor support drops away past the spreader bar, my body sense keeps me from sliding in there. Or maybe I'm just getting better at hanging level

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sorry for my lack of intelligence but I'm getting that the gist of this might be longer/wider hammocks are comfortable if you like to lay flat? You still might be ok in a long but narrow hammock but short and narrow are no good? No me the clark is both short and narrow. Hmmm

Hammock
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Sorry for my lack of intelligence but I'm getting that the gist of this might be longer/wider hammocks are comfortable if you like to lay flat? You still might be ok in a long but narrow hammock but short and narrow are no good? No me the clark is both short and narrow. Hmmm
    One way to get flat is to get enough sag to form a nice diagonal. There is another school of thought among us that pulls the hammock quite tautly to get flatish without a diagonal, even if it is short and narrow. Indeed with this approach you want narrow sides. Why? The flip-side of that one is that the hammock walls squeeze on your shoulders because of the tension. A wide pad can help to hold that back some though. If the hammock is wide and pulled tightly, those sides close right over the top of your head!

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 08-22-2008 at 07:19. Reason: re-added some lost words