Hammock
    Tonka Gear Gathered
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    HGincubator/burrow
    Suspension
    4wheel independant
    Welcome from Indiana! I find hammocks very good on my bad back. Good luck!
    “Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.”
    ― Steven Wright

Hammock
    HH, WL, Dutch, DH
    Tarp
    el Cheapo
    Insulation
    old Trailwise bag
    Suspension
    what come with'em
    "I seem to be sliding down towards the foot end during the night"
    Try hanging the foot end of the hammock a little higher than the head end. Oh, and welcome from Tennessee.
    My first words were 'Call me Ishmael', and it was then that my parents sent me to the Institution.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from Florida.
    I hear you; my 1st wife traded me in on a new model after 18 years of marriage about 13 years ago. She's already traded in that model also.

Anyway, I agree with raising the foot end a few inches. Our torso is heavier than our legs. So, the torso drives us downward in the hammock, seeking the lowest spot. By raising our feet, we give our legs some leverage provided by gravity, to fight back against the torso.

Also, if you feel constricted, hang the hammock with more sag in it.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Welcome from Georgia. Even though your move to the hammock was the result of a problem, you have found out a great truth, namely that a hammock can be a most valuable ally. Last night made a week that I have slept in mine and whatever I have to do to keep it up I think I will do. This is great waking up with no aches. Oh, and the pics that you Danes are posting have made me really want to visit there.

Hammock
    Mayan #6
    Insulation
    None
    Suspension
    10 mm nylon ropes
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeedrinker View Post
    Hello Waspandy,
    I'm on the west coast of Canada, and welcome to the forums. I appreciate what you've written about your hanging experiences. So far I've only been able to nap in my WBBB but nonetheless find the hammock extremely comfortable and relaxing. I'll keep looking for the right set up then a full night's sleep. There is indeed some adjustment time going from the bed to the hammock!

I'm sorry to hear about your split with your girlfriend...

Coffeedrinker
    Thanks. After reading several threads here on HF, I decided to take my setup down and reinstall everything. This gave me longer distance between anchor points, and allowed me to hang the hammock with the sag recommended by the seller.

This was actually only a minor adjustment in centimeters, but appeared to make a difference, and I am looking forward to trying it out tonight. I also raised the leg end at the same time.

After having solved the most pressing discomfort issues, I believe my biggest problem with sleeping in the hammock now is in my mind. Sleeping in a bed, I change position very often, and even though this really isn't necessary in the hammock, my mind wants to do it.

/Andy

Hammock
    Brazilian
    Seems like as much advice here from guys who have split up with their spouses as advice on how to sleep in a hammock. Never had one (a spouse) so never had that problem.

There is a learning period for sleeping in a hammock; at least there was for me. Now I sleep in one every night, and my back thanks me for it every morning. Can’t imagine going back to a bed again.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Welcome to the forums, from Ohio. Yep, on the foot end. I actually go about a foot higher on the foot end.

Hammock
    down to 4 :(
    Tarp
    Size matters, lol

Thumbs up Smart Smart Person!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    Seems like as much advice here from guys who have split up with their spouses as advice on how to sleep in a hammock. Never had one (a spouse) so never had that problem.

There is a learning period for sleeping in a hammock; at least there was for me. Now I sleep in one every night, and my back thanks me for it every morning. Can’t imagine going back to a bed again.

The time and hassle in learning to deal with women is MUCH harder and MUCH longer than with a hammock. (and they costs a HECK'alot more too)

If someone had given me advice when I was younger (and hopefully the links i shared further up in this thread) I would be much-much happier man today.... I'd be like you, and would have never married.

Congratulations on being a SMART SMART Person.

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    Welcome from east Tenn. happy hanging
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Hammock
    Mayan #6
    Insulation
    None
    Suspension
    10 mm nylon ropes
    I appreciate the encouragement regarding my situation, and the welcomes from all over. It is never pleasant to experience this, but it gets better and better each day.

Back to hammocks... after reinstalling everything, and following the sellers recommendations on sag and hang width, I had a wonderful night. Fell in sleep very quickly, but woke up at 2 am with serious cold butt syndrome even though I sleep inside. Solved it with a small wool plaid, but will need to find a more suitable solution. Maybe a thin under quilt is needed.

Woke up again at 5 am, which is my normal time to get up, but managed to return to sleep until 7 am. I consider this my first fully normal night in the hammock. I also feel much more confident regarding the strength of the hammock and suspension now, which makes moving around to find the sweet spot more easy.

I am very glad to have found this forum, as I would probably have given up after the first night without the information and guidance found here. I am serious considering joining the hang out in Sweden in July to meet (a few) people in person.

/Andy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast