First hammock on the way

I picked the HH explorer because is came with everything in one bag. the amount of research i did was silly! How long did it take you guys to pick your first and what were the main factors? I will have it in hand on Monday and will hang on saturday night. im planning on keeping the suspension stock at first and then trying rings or whoopies. I think the main reason for picking up a hammock was shug's youtube videos that guy is a nut.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Welcome to the forums!

I'm an avid researcher. Took me about 3 weeks to choose specifically what I wanted...and that turned out to be the HH Explorer Deluxe as well.

I've got zero buyers remorse on it. Had it over a year now, and I've camped in it probably 7-8 times.

No issues with the stock suspension, personally. It serves it's purpose. It takes a while to get setup, and it's something of a pain to adjust until you get used to it. Some folks have issues with the weight of it...I'm not so much worried about that myself.

I too did the rings setup for a while, but there's a risk of wear/damage on the stock suspension when using the rings as a ring buckle with that rope, so keep that in mind.

I eventually went to whoopies on mine, and they do work great. Took me a bit to get used to the idea that they'd hold my weight. I didn't trust the "loop over the knot, not the toggle" concept, so I personally use two lightweight climbing rated 'biners in place of a toggle. I do the MSH in the tree strap, put the biner through in place of the toggle, and then just clip the loop on the whoopie into the biner, and adjust as needed.

Which tarp did you go with? Also...what are you planning on using as under-insulation?

I live in Maryland and plan on using it for summer trips for now so no underquilt yet(blue ccf pad), but im pretty handy with a sewing machine. I choose the larger hex fly because I read story after story of setting the tarp wrong and getting wet. the worst part is you will never know till its too late I guess.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoxlfx View Post
    I picked the HH explorer because is came with everything in one bag. the amount of research i did was silly! How long did it take you guys to pick your first and what were the main factors? I will have it in hand on Monday and will hang on saturday night. im planning on keeping the suspension stock at first and then trying rings or whoopies. I think the main reason for picking up a hammock was shug's youtube videos that guy is a nut.
    Big Mistake bad hammock choice!

Just kidding, I am glad you are trying it out I am sure you will have a great first hang!

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    depends
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was ridiculous when I was picking my hammock. I spent more time picking that hammock than I did my last truck. No joke. I'm very happy, though. I have the ultralight explorer and I got my daughter the hyperlight backpacker. I may steal hers for my next canyon trip to see how I like it.

I picked the Hennessy because it had everything I needed in one unit. I don't care for the bottom entry. I thought I would love that, but I didn't. Got that mod asap! It's probably a little heavier than other systems, but it's considerably lighter than my tent system and less of a pain in the butt to set up. I used the rappelling rings, but just switched to whoopies. And I have both tarps.

One thing to do is get rid of that pad as soon as possible. The folks here helped me sort out the super shelter. Works much better when the wind isn't blowing through it. And now that I have an underquilt, I am golden.

Enjoy your hammock! I will be sleeping in a tent on the coast and I will be missing it, that's for sure!

Frogg

Hammock
    down to 4 :(
    Tarp
    Size matters, lol
    Excellent choice!

I spent several months researching which *one* would be the right hammock for me....... It was fun research, no doubt, and not a bit of the time was wasted. And HH offers many-many positives that other hammocks don't.

I am up to 4 hammocks at the moment, and if I could have only one, it would be my HH Survivor.

It takes practice and use to get into the "hang" of things - at least it did for me. So practice using it in your backyard, and/or park before hand.

Hammock
    DD Travel (2012)
    Tarp
    DD Tarp XL
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pro 4
    Suspension
    Skin of my teeth
    Looking forward to your 1st trip report.
    (even if its just over night in the garden)

even after hours of research im still green as grass. my pal just got his wbbb so it was time for our first hang. so after about 3 mins of talking about it we tossed our hammocks in our packs and headed to the local walking trail. first time set up in the dark was not bad for either of us. so we hung our packs on a tree and climbed in the the hammocks. after a few mins of conversation we were both asleep. my restful night lasted about 25 mins before a text woke me up. it was then I realized even though it was almost 90 degrees today it was now 52 and I was cold. we packed zero sleeping bags top or bottom quilts. so I laid there... maybe an hour had pasted and that's when i heard the most glorious shout. "I'M COLD!". we both had agreed we were not stoked to spend another 6 hrs unprepared. We packed it up and walked the 2 miles back to the house. The girls in our lives will always remember this night. Good news is this morning Kevo secured a new top quilt and thermarest sleep pad. I hope it does the trick for the Maryland summers. Hope you all can find the humor in this because 2 times today I found myself laughing at the 2 newbies just trying to hang.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Awesome. I love both of my expeditions. I was torn between the WBBB and the HH, but the HH came with the rainfly, so that's the way I went. I don't regret it at all.

My oldest son and I made the "it sure is hot...we don't need a blanket" mistake a couple of years ago, but we were about 6 miles from the car, so we spent most of the night looking for firewood and talking about how cold we were Lesson learned.

Enjoy the new toy.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I love my HH expedition Bottom Entry. I've been playing with different pads and layers to see what works with what temp. So far I've only been driven into the house once by CBS. I researched about a week but quickly got overwhelmed by all of the available choices. I went with the HH because it came with suspension, straps and tarp so I had all the basic pieces. Price was also a consideration for me. It does seem like there is a limitation on which underquilts will fit with the bottom entry. But I love the bottom entry. Easy for an old lady to use.
    Last edited by grannypat; 06-18-2012 at 17:39. Reason: spelling

• + New Posts