eno singlenest and doublenest
    Tarp
    AHE Tarp
    Insulation
    cheap walmart pad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Cheap UQ?

Whats a good cheap under quilt? I dont have a sowing machine so cant do a diy.

I was looking at wilderness logics website the 3/4 underquilt. I am in Florida and the lowest it gets is like 35 to 40. Im 68 inches so the UQ would almost cover me. I was also looking at the Lost River UQ from arrowhead equipment. Im not sure which is better

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    You might also consider the Jarbridge River UQ. At roughly 7/8 length it is a nice medium size. I have a summer weight Jarbridge River (lighter insulation than advertised) which I use in Florida down to the low 40s. It weighs only 13 oz. I have supplemented it with a pad in colder weather and was fine down to about 29°.

I love my Jarbridge River, and use it 7-8 months of the year. It is only $100 right now. Quite a deal. Less than I paid a year ago.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Tarp
    Insulation
    cheap walmart pad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Buffolo Skipper- The Jarbridge River UQ looks great! On Arrowheadeqipment.com it says select 3 season under quilt or one season. WHich one do you have? You said you have summerweight so im guessing the one season which is rated only to 50 though

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest/Warbonnet travel net
    Tarp
    ProFly/ Superfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Tubular webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    You might also consider the Jarbridge River UQ. At roughly 7/8 length it is a nice medium size. I have a summer weight Jarbridge River (lighter insulation than advertised) which I use in Florida down to the low 40s. It weighs only 13 oz. I have supplemented it with a pad in colder weather and was fine down to about 29°.

I love my Jarbridge River, and use it 7-8 months of the year. It is only $100 right now. Quite a deal. Less than I paid a year ago.
    Hey,
    how is the Jarbidge attached? Is it a sewn channel with shock cord or another way? The price looks good and it seems light.

What are the downsides to this UQ?

Thanks,
    Bill

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Even without a sewing machine (by the way, if you run across the term "thread injector" here on the boards, that's a sewing machine), you can still make an underquilt out of an old poncho liner. Dejoha has wonderfully-illustrated instructions located here. I've, personally, successfully used one down to 41 F after some adjustments.

As long as you can get your hands on a poncho liner, 1/8" shock cord, some cord locks, something to help you run the cord through the hems, and a lot of patience, you're good to go.

Total investment was probably in the $30 range. It's not light compared to other options out there, and it sure doesn't compress. On the other hand, it's hard to beat that price.

If you've got any questions about it, let me know!

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Tarp
    Insulation
    cheap walmart pad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    FLRider- Thanks for the advice, that looks like a good idea. Ill check out some army surplus shops

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    FLRider- Thanks for the advice, that looks like a good idea. Ill check out some army surplus shops
    Not a problem.

And, if you wind up getting a nicer quilt down the road, it's nice to have one to loan out to folks just getting into this whole hammockry thing. They're pretty durable, being made out of 1.9 oz nylon for the shell and cheap poly batting inside, so you don't have to worry too much about wear and tear.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    My son and I used the no sew version of the PLUQ for almost a year and did very well with it. When temps dropped we were able to stick other things in it to help up the temp rating. We no longer need them as an UQ, and luckily since they were the no sew version, we can now use them as a topquilt or overcover or whatever. It was a win, win no matter what.

• + New Posts