Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps

Missing the adventure

If you are worried about the cottage industry hammocks failing and who will pay, I suggest you stay in your nice comfy little bed in your safe comfortable home. Lock the doors and stay there and don't venture out, for you may experience an adventure and stub your toe, and no one will pay for your injury.

Okay, that was not nice, but just sayin. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

GO COTTAGE INDUSTRY, KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT WORK AND OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    I see some cottage industries have a disclaimer on their website. Welp! All I can say is, Disclaimers don't work either. If your going to get sued, your going to get sued by a whole office of attorneys. Come court day you will be standing there by yourself because you can't afford even one attorney. You'll say, "But Your Honor, I had a disclaimer on my website." And the office full of attorneys will say. "But Your Honor, My client cant read." Or, "But Your Honor, My client is mentally challenged." Or, "But Your Honor, my client just simply didn't understand the disclaimer."

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    It may very well be the same insurance company that covers your small buisness as well as possibly some others www.whtmtop.com

These are valid concerns, but if the innovators did not move the world forward we would still be in caves. Life is not without risk.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    If you are worried about the cottage industry hammocks failing and who will pay, I suggest you stay in your nice comfy little bed in your safe comfortable home. Lock the doors and stay there and don't venture out, for you may experience an adventure and stub your toe, and no one will pay for your injury.

Okay, that was not nice, but just sayin. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

GO COTTAGE INDUSTRY, KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT WORK AND OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!
    Hey, I'm just bringing up a discussion...Don't get all offended.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The OP isn't attacking anyone...he's stepping back and looking at the landscape and asking a basic question. And a valid one. Do remember that the OP is a cottage business owner himself.

I think cottage businesses developed around hammocking because there was a need for specialized products and inventions to cater to hammock camping as it has evolved in the last few years. The larger established companies simply weren't going to fill those needs, so many folks said 'I can do that'.

And that's also why we like those small operations, and why we're fans of their products. We get to know the people personally, their work, and their goals. It's nice to know you can ask questions from (or suggest improvements to) the person that made your gear.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Switchback and WBBB
    Tarp
    Mega Ogee! Sweet
    Insulation
    Jar bridge
    Suspension
    Dutchie Whoopie
    Images
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I am much more likely to fail in technique and/or judgement before any of my gear, cottage or otherwise. I also trust gear made on a small scale by humans, much more than gear made on a large or grand scale in factories. Even the materials that go into the gear, because they are bought on a smaller scale, seem less likely to have multitudinous hidden weaknesses.
    As for the cottage industry providers, they are serving a niche market albeit a growing one. It makes more sense to me to use gear that is crafted for my specific purpose than to try to adapt gear made for something that is "close but no cigar." This is especially true of load-bearing gear. These providers are also able to modify and make custom gear.
    I think buying gear from random folks on ebay seems a bit dangerous, but buying specialized gear from a group of known experts in the particulars makes all the sense in the world. I prefer to buy things made by people who use those things and to support, for my own selfish purposes, the production and development of gear that I enjoy. Early adapters must be flexible, intelligent, and curious.
    Finally, though this has been said, I can't think of a single giant in specialized outdoor manufacturing that I respect, that is not a very well known cottage industry grown huge. Take a look at any of the mountaineering companies.
    Also, my recent DIY effort, making a top quilt, was a miserable failure. So, respect to all those straight-stitching, down-stuffing wizards out there.
    Last edited by Tonks; 06-08-2012 at 08:32. Reason: grammatical errors

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9
    Insulation
    Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    They are a throwback to the past. (That's a GOOD thing.)
    What I mean is that they are like the pioneers that built the USA into what it is today. They are not afraid to follow their passion, not afraid to take a chance. They are honest craftsman who take pride in their work.

Can you imagine a world full of nothing but people like that?
    Yea... I can... I think it would look like a place I would like to live!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Lostinspace, you've been told you have offended people, and you keep going. So you obviously want controversey.

Our you going to sue the world becuase you fall off a bike? You must feel you're owed something or special of some sort by your attitude.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    LostinSpace, I'm not offended. I agree with you that this country is SUE CRAZY and out for the quick buck, but we can't let ourselves be sucked into that mind set or we will never progress for fear of being knocked down. If you want to start a new business, you have to weigh the pros and cons and either do it or give in to it all and not pursue your dream. That is your choice. I for one applaud our cottage industries for their courage to pursue their dream and their hardwork to make it happen. They are not letting insurance companies or SUE CRAZY folks deter them.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by exup View Post
    Lostinspace, you've been told you have offended people, and you keep going. So you obviously want controversey.

Our you going to sue the world becuase you fall off a bike? You must feel you're owed something or special of some sort by your attitude.
    You're missing the point.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast