Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    90 degree experience was in the Dirigible and also in the Graf; two different hikes both in the summer.
    Both of these socks were set up loosely in those temps, the SEEPs were fully in the down position when I went to bed, one night I even pushed the underquilt-protector portion of the sock out from under the hammock/quilt. In both cases later in the morning when it had cooled off (and really felt cool in the mid 60s relative to the sleep time temps) I pulled either the under protector back in position, raised the SEEP, or both. Even in those temps I had the 2/3 underquilt attached (50F model by Te-wa). Also as is my habit I carried a 1/8 inch ccf but didn't deploy.
    So truth of the matter the sock was in the above examples not a sock at first, only the wee hours of the following morning was it back in true sock mode....but that is the beauty of the HNO sock design being able to morph back and forth quite easily. Speaking of, the AirShip can handily convert to ground bivy-shelter if need be; easier if you have hiking poles. The Graf and Dirigible not so easily. In bivy-shelter mode you'd best want a sacrificial ground sheet to protect the cuben and/or m50.
    If you've seen any of the vids you might remember Poof and I sitting under the tarp portion of one of the HNO socks with the rear portion of the sock staked out behind, the under protector portion and the SEEP also pulled back and out of the way.
    There was one time also in the 90s on Goat Island where it was also in the 90s where I did sleep in full SEEP up position but that was in a Molly-Mack Sock. I simply slept naked until the morning cool off and upon waking pulled a cover over me...this sock had built in insulation.
    Back to the really hot hangs using the Dirigible, Graf or AirShip.....No condensation that I can recall....reason most likely for 2 reaons=I'm not a wet breather and being basically in wide open tarp mode. Then again I've had little condensation even when in full on SEEP up mode. Which brings up something all potential socks users must consider and that is how much moisture they put off in a given night.
    As has been mentioned in threads of the past Poof puts off way more moisture than I do and has had condensation in the bottom of the sock where I exactly in the same situation did not (and she was even using the sock with even more breathable cuben).
    FireInMyBones has already figured that he's a wet-breather and plans his sock attack with a different design to allow a constant air flow/movement. Quizz him for more details on that.
    I won't tell you guys I've never had condensation. In the deep cold I too have had frost-over on the inside of the tarp portion...several time it was still frozen cold in the a.m. A quick reversal and shake and it was gone. On one mid-season overnighter it was palpable liquid (and not raining) so when packing up I flipped the tarp portion over and all-in-one packed up everything regardless--because the total amount of liquid was my best guess around a tablespoon ---an amount I knew my body heat would quickly dry the next night once I got in the rig. Poof too has had to do this, pack up with known condensate, and the next night within short time it was heated away with body heat.
    The concern of condensate is now further mitigated by my use exclusively of the water proof down....for the little amount I will ever get it is just not even a concern. I could go on and on and on and on.

MM, is there a thread or video that focuses on the Air Ship? I can't seem to find anything like that.
    I've read/watched everything in this thread (unless I just missed it).
    Thinking that generation-3 has to be better / would like to see what changed and why.

Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tylojuky View Post
    Good point / appologies.
    No problem, just did not want someone thinking a Dirigible type sock had zipper issues

Quote Originally Posted by Turnbull Outfitter View Post
    They are not made by the same person. However, they are part of the sock discussion regarding the All In One Sock option that this thread has explored.

If Hangingout requests it, we can start up a new thread to keep this one focused on particular sock designs.
    Did not have a problem with discussion of how the socks worked but we had gotten into specific issues with construction of a vendors product, not how it performed in different weather conditions. I am not the OP but I am a little partial to the sock being discussed by the OP Someone jumping in the thread at that point might have thought these were issues with OP sock.

Quote Originally Posted by _jstevens2010_ View Post
    Where can we buy the OP's Sock? What website? Or is it still under development?
    Still working with some different fabrics etc to have lower cost (heavier) options. At this time the Airship is the lightest that can be produced with current fabrics. You will start seeing some more of these shelters made from different materials soon.

As MM pointed out the sock feature is just part of the shelter. It really is not a sock. It can be the tarp, tarp and UQ protector, or a complete hammock shelter. In fact the best part of it IMO is the speed of setup and takedown. WP Socks only protect you when you are in them without an outside dry area option. The Airship has the advantages of both a sock and tarp. It took some time to make these work together and function correctly.

I have been trying to come up with a different term to describe the Airship other than "sock"..........

Very interesting video.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    I have been trying to come up with a different term to describe the Airship other than "sock"..........

Starp? Sockarp? HST (Hammock sock-tarp)? No wait. I have it:
    The "End-all, be-all hammock shelter system - for the zombie apocalypse" or EABAHSFTZA. Kind of just rolls off your tongue, don't you think?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    EABAHSFTZA That's good!
    Just to throw some more out:
    pupae, cocoon, habitat, envelope, capsule (Poof likes cocoon) shell (hermit), chamber.
    Just remember the original names Dirigible, Graf, AirShip all obviously played on the 'socks' unique ability to deal with wind. Besides HNO and my favorite attribute=the easy quick put up take down, the other huge benefit is the way they all move through the air/OK the way the air moves around them......
    The HNO derived 'socks' are def. far more than just a sock.

Someone ask about an AirShip specific vid....sorry non one particular vid on it.

"Hammock Refuge"?

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    If were are trying to identify and categorize these "sock/tarps," what about SUBS?
    Spacious Untroubled Bombproof Shelters.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    SUB, that ain't bad at all

Tarp and Crib Oasis

• + New Posts