Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    I grabbed one. I'm a chunky, 6'1" side-sleeper. Still can't quite visualize the stock bugnet setup and worry about overheating.

But a post here convinced me that hammocks must be tried out--it's the only way to know. It's the same lesson I learned with ordering clothes online. I'm hard to fit, so when the online X-Large pants I ordered turn out to fit like a "shmedium" (as my wife would say), I send those suckers back!

Do the same thing this time.

Should have it by the 18th. I'll pick it up at the store. That way my wife won't have to wrestle with such a large box when it's delivered to the house... Heck, I'll probably just take it straight to the basement since she's always after me about putting my gear away...

But I'm DEFINITELY saving the receipt.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    That's it .. the only way to know for sure is to try it.

If you like it you can always buy the full mesh top for the hot days and keep the camper top for cool, windy days.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Maybe,because it weighs so much and I got 500#s to go before I max out my axle on my gear trailer.
    Now that's funny.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Picked up my Chrysalis Friday. Heavy as heck. But, in truth, not much heavier than the 2 man tent I've been lugging. A bigger factor for me is comfort. After testing it out for a couple of hours yesterday, I think it is a keeper! I'm 6' 1" and 250 pounds. It felt roomy enough for me even though I did hang off a little when I laid on my side. And there's no shoulder squeeze, a big issue for me.

I could easily see sleeping in it.

As a backpacker, I'm going to have to do the mods to cut the weight, but I'm feeling very good about it. A number of nice touches.

I'll try it with my pad and bag this week.

Still think it's going to be warm in the summer with the top down. Tried it out on a windy 50 degree day and, with the sun shining, it was very pleasant in the bag. When it's 80 degrees... But top down is the only way to get bug protection.
    Last edited by chrislrob; 03-20-2011 at 09:37. Reason: Misfire

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Use one of these when it's hot along with a tarp for any rain.

http://www.gear-up.com/cart_showproduct.php?pid=14633

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    I also got my Chrysalis last week, immediately spent the next three nights in it. Two cold clear nights, one warmer, windy, rainy one.

Right out of the box, the Chrysalis was very easy to set up. Throw in a pad and a sleeping bag in and I was good to go. No side guylines or tarp to deploy made it quick. I like this aspect for a late night arrival when I am zombied. The sidewalls were flappy in the wind with the provided webbing ridge line as it came. By the third night, in anticipation of a good rain, I had traded out the webbing suspension and ridgeline, using whoopie sling suspension and no-tangle line ridgeline as well as guylines at the corners for staking. This ridgeline was tighter, and held the peak and walls up very well. I also attached and used guylines on three of the corners that night and felt it helped me stay dry. I missed the free movement of the hammock, though.

In the rain, the weak point was where the elastic closure for the side window/walls toggles are sewn on. These leaked. I had not seam sealed anything. The drips that came through the seam ran down and under the hammock. My sleeping bag did not get wet, but I did sleep somewhat worried about this possibility and tried to stay well centered. The night it rained was about 45 degrees, and there was a good bit of condensation on the ceiling.

IMHO, This hammock set up would be an easy transitional first hammock, as it has the feel of a tent with the almost total closure and privacy, flat lay, ability to use a sleeping bag and pad easily, and very little fiddle factor. The storage areas were very nice. It was easy to change clothes in the hammock.

It was possible to stand on the ground in the pouring rain, and remain under the tarp and use the bottle technique for nature's call. The condensation on the ceiling was discovered at this time, but wasn't a big deal. There is the issue of what to do with wet rain gear. I choose to fold this between the sidewall and netting of the window. This wouldn't allow much bulk, but worked for what was needed. I had croks, but you would need to plan to bring boots into the gear storage areas to stay dry. I would definitely want the protection and space for on the ground activities of a separate tarp over this set up, for camping with extended days of rain

I did not like the clamp buckle system at all. It hurt my tender, arthritic hands to use. The velcro closure for the side window/walls was aggressive, but I made friends with it after the first night. I also doubt whether there will be enough ventilation. Certainly there is space at the ends to make much larger netting vents.

The tarp/tent top can be taken off easily, but I think I would miss having the side walls to help contain my top quilt. I guess whatever bug net and UQ arrangement used may address that liability of the narrow hammock.

I felt the tightness of the hammock fabric under the head end spreader bar took some getting used to, but proved workable as is. I am considering shortening the spreader bar, as someone else suggested. I wonder if this will introduce shoulder squeeze issues, though. The tightness of the webbing sides of the body of the hammock took some getting used to, but was workable.

Each new hammock educates me.

In summary, at this sale price I am happy to have gotten a bridge hammock to try, and feel it is an easy to use car camping option for myself or as a loaner to a friend. I am now looking forward to seeing the improvements in the 2011 version.

I understand now how better to appreciate the designs of the DIY bridge hammocks folks are making and will look to examine those at future hangs with heightened interest.
    Last edited by turtlelady; 03-20-2011 at 16:40. Reason: word correction

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks, Turtlelady. You write an excellent, thought-provoking review.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Thank you turtlelady.......mine should be delivered tomorrow.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    I took two inches off the head end spreader bar with a tubing cutter made for cutting copper plumbing line. No noticeable difference in shoulder room but more comfy than the really tight fabric under my head. The new version has added more fabric to achieve the same thing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    I did not like the clamp buckle system at all. It hurt my tender, arthritic hands to use.
    I thought it was just me! And my hands, though tender, are not arthritic (yet).

I originally planned to just leave it stock for at least one weekend trip, but those buckles convinced me to at least switch out the webbing. I may leave the ridgeline and poles for another time.

Good review! For all of the posts here that at least mention the Chrysalis--probably a hundred or more--you are one of only a few people to actually report spending an entire night in one, to say nothing of three!

I hope to be able to report in the next month or so.

Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast