Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 9
    Insulation
    BMI
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopies

New DN owner!

Howdy,

My first hammock just arrived. A DoubleNest in purple/forest!

As I have no style sense I selected based on price first and color second. I think it actually looks good, in an "I am not a commando" kind of way. I count myself lucky.

Along with the DN, I ordered straps and whoopie slings from Jacks 'R' Better... hope they get here soon. I don't have much stuff around to use for a suspension unless I want to tear up some ratchet straps.

What I've read so far is that the way to install whoopies on a DN is to remove the existing cordage and replace it with the loop end of the whoopie sling. Whoopie slings are much smaller than the stock cords. Is there any evidence that they'll cause more wear and tear on the hammock? Seems like it would be simple to attach the whoopie slings to the stock cord or the steel biners already on the hammock.

To attach the DN to the JRB straps, I was thinking of just using a carabiner at each end. Put the tree strap ends on the biner and snap the whoopie sling onto that.

I'm sure there are lighter methods out there, but this seems to be super simple. Which is good, because so am I.

Next up will be a ridgeline and some sort of tarp. Speaking of which, I haven't had any luck finding my old hiking tarp so maybe get a Kelty Noah's Tarp 9 or something. I've had good luck with Kelty stuff in the past.

Really I'm just posting because I'm excited to try out my new hammock. But if anyone's got feedback, feel free!

Cheers,

Flash

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Congrats on your new hammock. Feeding the fixed loop through the end channels is commonly done. No worries about wear because when tightened the material is so bunched up that friction is not an issue. Ditching the stock ropes is to save weight and bulk. You can keep them if you want but if you plan to carry the hammock on a day hike or backpcking its worth it to get rid of the rope IMO.
    Attaching the whoopie slings to the straps with a carabiner works fine. It is a little harder to adjust the length of the straps because you have to wrap the straps around the tree to take up the extra length.
    Have fun playing around with it!
    Last edited by Bubba; 06-08-2012 at 18:41.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 9
    Insulation
    BMI
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopies
    Bubba,

Thanks for the info. Making the (hammock) world better, one n00b at a time!

It's the welcoming nature, patience with n00bs, great information and access to some awesome vendors that makes this forum what is is.

I just ordered a ridgeline and some toggles from Arrowhead. The toggles were cheap enough that I figured I'd just try them out and see if I liked 'em better than using biners.

Then I figured that the best hammock accessory of all is this forum. Money's tight but if I can afford a ridgeline or some whoopie slings, I can afford a year's membership here.

ENO content: Still thinking about the Kelty Noah's tarp, but then again maybe the ENO FastFly tarp? It's a bit bigger at 11'9" square.

Other ENO content: I don't think I'll need it for my July camping trip but if the hammock works out as well as I hope it will, I'll be shopping for a bugnet -- most likely the ENO product. For the time being, I'll settle for some jungle juice, my Thermacell mosquito repeller, and some citronella candles.

My birthday is in August, which is my next opportunity to beg for goodies from the Financial Authority.

Cheers,

Flash

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    Welcome to the club!!

Just took a nice couple hour nap in my DN that just got Adjustable webbing suspension installed the other day. I haven't hung from trees yet with this setup on this hammock, but, here at the house I hang from chains mounted to the roof rafters.

Wholehearted agreement with Bubba - the friction you're describing is a null issue.

As hard as it might be to resist - don't remove the stock rope until your whoopies arrive.

I would imagine you could probably get a couple of ratchet straps to hold you between two trees while you wait....Either that or go online and learn some knots and then cut the seatbelts out of your car?? (I'm really kidding with the suggestion of cutting seatbelts out of your car in case any "federal seatbelt destruction nazi's" are lurking...)
    You don't HAVE TO be crazy to be here - But I assure you it will help.....

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here is a video that should make converting your ENO DN to whoopies a lot easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlwPKoKw9Q

The DoubleNest is a great choice. I own a WBBB but still use my DN as my backyard hanger. I love the fabric, it is so soft. Much softer than the BB.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

• + New Posts