Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    Phantom I like the carolina red suspension. The problem I have with a marlin spike is that it's hard to adjust for me especially in the cold with gloves. Do you ever have problems unloading the slip knot on the carolina red? Like it gets too tight to unload? It happened to me in the backyard. Somehow the kevlar got bound up when trying to pull the slip knot out. I had to get open with needle nose. I would hate for that to happen in the field. Any advice?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Yes skyjacker, a slip knot jammed in Kevlar and I wrapped the loose end around my hand and pulled it against tree it was still on. Phantom was scaired. So I wondered how to prevent this from happening again.
    If possible make sure bunny rabbit ear is long.
    Pull loose end with a hard yank--but do not pull it all way. Stop and look at slip knot to see if it looks loose.
    If it ain't loose you can grab the (loose end) and the nearest part to (loose end) inside bunny rabbit ear while grabbing other side of bunny rabbit ear and pull them both at same time. This pull put pressure on the knot from the inside out and causes movement inside the knot and once it's moved--it's ready to yank out. Sorry if this is not easy to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Using ENO, want something else
    Tarp
    ENO, Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Wash, pads
    Suspension
    ENO, need upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    6' UCRs and 4'8" straps 59.4 grams with whoopie hooks - both sides total. Shortest hang is about 10'. I find strap only less user friendly than this.
    What is UCR?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Yes skyjacker, a slip knot jammed in Kevlar and I wrapped the loose end around my hand and pulled it against tree it was still on. Phantom was scaired. So I wondered how to prevent this from happening again.
    Pull loose end with a hard yank--but do not pull it all way. Stop and look at slip knot to see if it looks loose.
    If it ain't loose you can grab the (loose end) and the nearest part to (loose end) inside bunny rabbit ear while grabbing other side of bunny rabbit ear and pull them both at same time. This pull put pressure on the knot from the inside out and causes movement inside the knot and once it's moved--it's ready to yank out. Sorry if this is not easy to follow.

Perfect, I'll experiment with this.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scwildcat View Post
    What is UCR?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    UCR = Utility Constrictor Rope.

Basically half of a Whoopie sling.
    UCR is two pieces of rope. It doesn't double back on itself, like a Whoopie does. It's more prone to letting go unless you affix the tail to something to keep tension on it.
    Do a YouTube search.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Heaviest suspension vs. lightest?

I've been wondering how to make a UCR grip better. If it grips better then you will not have to make a longer bury--influencing minimum hang and weight.
    If the inner part of bury is larger than the outer part--it will grip better. Say 1/8 buried inside of 7/64 amsteel. Also if the inner bury is a coarser weave rope like spyderline and still larger than outside of bury then it will grip even better. (I used the word spyderline but do not know if it comes in 1/8 size.
    Another easy way to make your UCR grip better is to splice two lines of lashit or zingit inside of inner bury. You could use a length of zingit doubled-then spliced inside.
    And to set the brakes--tie a slip knot in inner bury line after it exits the splice. Then if UCR slipped while you slept--the slip knot (sleep knot) would stop UCR in its tracks as it would be too big to enter bury. I've not tried this. Good luck with your UCR!

Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 09-11-2016 at 10:17.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post

Hi Phantom. Your Carolina Red is super, brilliant. I'll try your loosening method this week. Thanks, it sounds good. Yes, easy to follow.

It's simpler than what I've been doing, but I'll explain it here. After switching to 3.3 Kevlar straps earlier this year, I used only two straps -- but with the strap's slip knots directly on the hammocks' 1/8 Amsteel closed loops. See this simple knot at
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...knot-loopalien

I love the simplicity and extreme light weight. What could be lighter? Or simpler? No marlinspike, Beckett, J, or hardware. But I found that sometimes, and especially after hanging for two or more days, the slipknot was impossible to untie by pulling on the tag/working end. That 3.3 webbing is really "grippy" which is good but it makes for a very tight slipknot as others have mentioned. When this happened, I had to use my chopstick to slowly work it loose enough to untie without injuring the fabric or cord, same as I do with jammed 1/8 Amsteel knots.

So try this when you don't want to take any chance when it's time to break camp -- look around for a *non-punky bone dry* trail stick "marlinspike" about the size of your little finger, such as you'd use for a typical marlinspike hitch setup. But instead insert it into the actual loop of your slipknot that goes around the hammock's closed loop (or itself or whatever) and pull the slip knot snug and tight as usual. The knot is thus tied around the closed loop (or whatever) and that stick. When it's takedown time, snap the trailstick. You now have a larger fully open loop in the webbing. Even though it's jammed, it now unties without damage because you can more easily slide part of the knot down onto that loop, making the loop smaller, and easier to pull untie. The only downside is that you should test a similar piece of wood first, to make sure you can snap it. If uncertain, you can score the middle with your knife to preestablish a breaking point. Today, for certainty, when I feel like carrying an extra heavy 13 grams in my pack (!), which is now all of the time, I have a 4 inch piece of a smooth 1/2 inch oak dowel. Not necessary, but sprayed with silicone spray once, it slides out of that tight knot even better. So would a piece of 1/2 inch aluminum tubing. If I lost it, there are always trail sticks.

For those new to this forum, Phantom has invented some of the most clever and original suspensions of anyone. Check them out.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    What I like about the carolina red suspension is the adjustability because of the CL larks head on the strap. When you slide the hammock up the strap you just tighten the larks head where you want it. Take a step back and look at your hang. It's extremely easy to find the hang you're looking for. Once it's where it needs to be tie the slipknots right up against the larks head and you're done. Unless your really good at getting the hang right the first time with MSH or a J-Bend, you'll be adjusting and tying that knot on both sides multiple times till you get it right. I like the MSH. I'm just not that good at it right now. I end up tying it a few times. I attach toggles to the end of the straps so I don't waste one second looking for a stick. Yeah yeah I know, there are zero gram toggles on the ground all over the place. Most of the time I'm really too tired to care about finding sticks. With Kevlar, it's a pleasure to use a smooth toggle when releasing the knot. Try finding one of those in the piney woods. The MSH is probably the easiest knot to release every time and put's less stress on the CL than any other knot I know of.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    MrJames and skyjacker thanks for shoutout and your work in solving jamming before it leaves you hanging. Hammocks are getting faster better lighter and more comfortable with new materials--now I gotta check on my Dutch bling--amsteel zingit and Kevlar!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123