Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Do you think hammocks break in? and other ???'s

As I said in another thread a while ago, I've moved into my hammock for sleeping full time. I've been using my 11'6" 1.9oz ripstop DIY hammock since Dec. I noticed the other night when I snuggled down there seems to be a shoulder pocket or area where I seem to settle most nights that is just more comfy than other spots. So do you think over time the hammocks stretch to lay more comfortable as time goes on. Like those favorite jeans of yours, they are most comfy about a month before you get a hole in them.

Also you full time sleepers did you modify your favorite bed blanket for optimal hammock sleeping? I am considering altering my blankets for a foot pocket. The nightly battle to get enough to cover my feet and over my shoulder is getting old

How often do you wash your full time hammock?

Do you have a pillow case on your hammock pillow?

How do you keep your alarm or cell phone near your hammock? I use my desk chair to set things on but I need to sit at my desk so I end up moving it all around.

A sock for blacking out the light? or even keeping it warmer for the winter. Anyone else do this?

I think that's all of my questions for now. I just wanted to put it out there since I've been full time hammocking for six months now and I'm loving it.
    I blame all grammatical errors on the iPhone

See my Completed DIY's
    Karo Under Quilt Adventure

DIY Mummy UQ (a how to)

Full Time since Dec '11

Hammock
    Brazilian
    I haven’t been using blankets at all. I use a couple of old sleeping bags with damaged zippers that were removed. I lay a rectangular bag in the hammock to lie on, but may discontinue that as the weather gets warmer. The top cover is an old light weight down mummy bag, again with zipper removed. It has the foot box that most mummy bags have, so I don’t have a problem with my feet sticking out. I just spread the mummy bag over me, and so far that is all I have needed. The mummy bag may be replaced by a blanket in warmer weather.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've been sleeping fulltime for a bit more than 6 months.

Yes, the fabric (mine is 1.1oz RSN) will stretch and mold to your specific usage.

I use a sleeping bag turned into a TQ by removing the zipper. If I was going to use a blanket, I would sew a foot box and a channel at the top end to run some shock cord through. The shock cord would help the top end wrap around and cling to your shoulders.

I wash my hammock, TQ and pillow once a week, as often as I had washed bedding when I had a regular bed.

No pillowcase, but I wash the pillow once a week.

I have a 4' high bookcase situated next to my hammock with a lamp and alarm clock within reach when I'm laying in my hammock. not to mention books

I use the bottom part of my hammock sock (see my picture gallery and posts about Modular Hammock Sock) to hold insulation underneath me. In warm weather, the bottom insulation is one of those reflector windshield shades. In the really hot weather, I remove the bottom insulation and sock. In cold weather, I use a coule of really cheap down comforters to fill the space between the sock and hammock.

Also in winter, I spread a wool blanket over the ridgeline and down over the sides of the hammock to create an enclosed sleeping space, letting me turn my thermostat down to 55* at night in the winter.

Sleeping in a hammock fulltime has relieved all the shoulder and hip pain I endured on a regular mattress. Also, the acid reflux is gone. The choice is clear for me )

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    I too have noticed some break in in my GT double that I sleep in. MrMike, my hammock says hand wash only, so I've hesitated to throw it in the washing machine; thoughts?

As for a blanket, I just use a twin size comforter for sleeping every night, and a regular bed pillow.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WL down uq
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    This is what I make to use for a top quilt for indoor use http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=30955 now I can make one in about half the time that first one took me
    Backpacking: An extended form of hiking in which people carry double the amount of gear they need for half the distance they planned to go in twice the time it should take. ~Author Unknown
    Big Joe

Hammock
    DH Night Hawk
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Doors
    Insulation
    HG 0F Incubator
    Suspension
    15'+12' Becket
    I've been sleeping in a Seaside Hammocks Jewel Double (Brazilian) for about 2 years now. It definitely breaks in.

For a quilt, I use a Golite, and I use a grand trunk pillow. I never wash anything. Shame on me.

I use a folding desk to keep my phone, keyboard, mouse, drink, remote, etc on. I really like it, for it's mobility. Another bonus I pretty much never use is that it's easy to fold up and put in away.

I don't use a hammock sock. I have an underquilt (Molly Mac Gear Shamu IX Underquilt) for home use, but I should probably put a little more thought into the suspension. I never have a problem with cold feet or shoulders.
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samiam2714 View Post
    So do you think over time the hammocks stretch to lay more comfortable as time goes on.
    Without question. Cotton hammocks are even more noticeable. I 'flip' my hammock the way many folks used to flip their mattresses. Usually takes me a couple/three days to get uber comfy again, as the fabric needs to stretch in different spots. I do this after every wash.
    Also you full time sleepers did you modify your favorite bed blanket for optimal hammock sleeping?
    No need in the large hammocks that we use at home. I had this problem when I was sleeping in my camping hammocks, but everything seems to stay in the hammock better with the big home sleepers. Plus, the cotton tends to 'grab' at the blankets instead of them sliding across the nylon. I do still tuck my blanket under my feet because I have a habit of dangling them over the edge of the hammock in my sleep.
    How often do you wash your full time hammock?
    About once a month on average. They get washed more often in the summer, but about every other month during the winter months.
    Do you have a pillow case on your hammock pillow?
    Yep!
    How do you keep your alarm or cell phone near your hammock? I use my desk chair to set things on but I need to sit at my desk so I end up moving it all around.
    Genuine Draft had me sew a pocket onto her hammock for her cell phone and such. I just have mine on the floor next to my hammock. It's an easy reach and grab.
    A sock for blacking out the light? or even keeping it warmer for the winter. Anyone else do this?
    Nope, but I do put my blanket over my head often. Genuine Draft just has to have the stupid TV on all night.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Wash a hammock???

How am I supposed to trick my brain into thinking I am out on the trail when actually I am on the back deck-without
    the left over funk from trips past?
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

• + New Posts