Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images

Question Which one? JRB, SWT or OES?

Hi experts!

I've recently got rid of my HHULBA in favour over a top loading hammock, yet I haven't got a tarp. I have read so many threads that I think I'm more confused now than before in my decision They all seem so well made and they are used and liked by many on this site, I'm talking about the JRB 10x11, The Speer Winter Tarp / Standard Tarp and the MacCat. I only know that I wan't a cat cut tarp larger than the stock HH. I like the stealth look of the JRB but at the same time I've read so many good reviews of the other two. Could somebody help me decide? Pros and Cons? And maybe some advice on the size?

Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I own all three and you can't go wrong in this decision. They are all great tarps. I take the OES when I want light weight and don't need wind protection. The JRB is for warm rainy conditions that I will need to cook in the rain. SWT hasn't been used yet, but come winter it will fulfill its purpose. If I were to suggest one single tarp it would be JRB, because it is versatile and the stitching is just a little better than the SWT. Although if I was not going in the winter the OES is the best made tarp and looks the coolest (very important).
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Ah, that's the rub. There is no best tarp! But the three you named are all great. Don't worry about picking wrong one. You already picked 3 right ones. (I know, I'm no help.)

I only have the JRB 11 x 10 and the small original HH tarp. I seam sealed the JRB and I can tell you that it's a great tarp for the rain. 3 days and nights of hard rain, rain, rain on top of a mountain in WV and I was dry, dry, dry.

Just make sure you use tarp tensioners. I have one on each of the tie-out points of my tarp and they really make a difference keeping tarp taunt.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    As Dutch and HC said, they are all great products and you can't really go wrong with any of them. I own all three (DIY version of the OES) and I couldn't see how you could be unhappy with any of them.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    If OES made a winter tarp with fuller sides, choosing a winter tarp would be an easy decision.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I prefer the MacCat and Speer tarps over the JRB. Only because OES and Speer seam seal their tarps and JRB makes you seam seal them yourself. If you're good at seam sealing (I'm not) then the JRB, I think, is a little more versatile in that it can be hung on both the 11 foot side and the 10 foot side. The Speer Winter Tarp can only be hung on the 11 foot side and the OES isn't quite as good in windy rain as the other two. But the OES is lighter (less material) and very well built. All of them are good tarps.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't envy your decision, but agree that it would be difficult to not be pleased with any of those choices. I like the OES (MacCat) style tarp the best, but was impressed with the Speer Winter Tarp in action to the point of putting it on my wish list.

Put the three on three pieces of paper and drop into a hat. Then just pull out the winner.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    You can't make a mistake. Just go with the one you think is the sexiest, you'll be happy.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    If OES made a winter tarp with fuller sides, choosing a winter tarp would be an easy decision.
    Everyone should keep in mind that OES will make you a custom tarp based on your design needs. And it's still totally reasonable in price.

Images

Any will do fine

I have the MacCat Deluxe, and the JRB 10x11. Both are excellent tarps. The MacCat is super high quality IMO, but with it's some what smaller dimensions AND hex cut, gives significantly less coverage( which is not to say inadequate coverage), but it also weighs almost 6 ozs less, so it just depends on what you want. And I feel sure the SWT will match either of them over all. Plus you can get a bigger MacCat if you want, custom.

But, if you can afford the few extra ounces, allow me to vote for the JRB for one reason, the ease of setting up a Baker Hut.

Here is a variation of a Baker Hut set up just before a BIG storm:

Here is a more standard Baker Hut set up:

Now this Baker Hut can be a very pleasant set up, with a lot of wind block on one side, and full walk in access on the other, while still having pretty fair storm coverage. Right after the BH variation shown first above, a huge storm hit. It was enough to break a plastic stake on the HH. I suppose it was cracked, but after the high winds it broke, resulting in the HH being soaked. Any way, the JRB BMBH under the JRB tarp pitched Baker Hut style stayed bone dry. Now it may be that the winds came in from the low side (west), and the results might have been different otherwise. But it can be a neat way to pitch a tarp. The other tarps could probably be modified easily enough to do a version of this pitch, but it works great with the JRB as is, plus it will pitch as a tarp tent with a 10 foot ridge.

But I can see that there might be some trips where saving 6 ozs would be more important than the great coverage from this rectangular tarp. BTW, for the last 2 days my 10 foot Claytor has been pitched, with moderate sag, under the JRB ( standard A frame pitch, not a storm pitch) as the remnant of Hurricane Fay moves through. Many inches of rain with high winds. So far, bone dry.

Now, having voted for the JRB, let me say that the design of the SWT, with the "darts" and such, might make for the best winter option. But I have not yet been able to try one in person. I bet it is a great tarp.

• + New Posts