Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I am very sloppy about trees, here in Oregon. I hook-up and pull if anything moves or I have an odd feeling I find a different spot.

Many years ago I was camped in Cape Lookout State Park, a big storm came along, trees were coming down all around me. I had my two little kids with me. We were packed and loaded into the VW in record time. At that time Cape Lookout was full of huge trees, I think it was all virgin forest at that time, huge trees 6 feet or more in diameter.

A couple of years ago another really nice walk in camp ground catering to surfer types, had trees come down and squash some campers. The State closed the park, now the State Parks cut any tree down that has dead branches (according to the Park Rangers).

I like to hang in storms, and I really need to inspect where I am hanging carefully, I just go on my feelings, not the most scientific, however it works (so far). BLM is not as fussy about their parks, but they seem to appeal to a different type of person than the State Parks.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Makes ya' wonder about the next hammock innovation, grounded or electrically isolated suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by the2nddeal View Post
    I was in a tent in a vicious thunderstorm in 2004 with lightning popping all around. We thought about making a run for the car a few miles away, but figured we'd just ride it out.

The next morning we woke up to find a tree laying beside the tent. It had been hit by lightning. It was so loud that night that we didn't hear it fall.

That one was too close for comfort.

Hammock
    DangerBird72 /W.L. Light owl
    Tarp
    4S Cuben/WL OMW
    Insulation
    Fronkey made20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whooooopie...

I think its sick when bird poop lands on me...

But a falling tree? YIKES!!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    BushcraftUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    blue foam pad
    Suspension
    factory ropes
    Not had a problem with widow makers yet while camping, I'm always very watchful for them. I did get run out of the woods while turkey hunting once. The winds came up really fierce, 50-60 mph, and tree tops and limbs began falling all around me. I headed for the truck and barely got out, having to dodge around fallen trees in the road.
    They are certainly something to be aware of and cautious about.
    You can be wet and miserable, or you can choose to just be wet.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    During heavy rain in my second night out Sunday June 3rd I was awoken by a large crack at 1 am. The bass of the thud shook my chest. A tree fell about 100 feet from the site.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I regularly hang using a cluster of 21/2" / 60mm mountain laurel (?) boughs at one end, (off to the left, from the hanging rope.) The boughs come out of a common 12" / 300mm root ball. One of the boughs connects directly to the load. But it is strapped to two or three others splayed in the opposite direction; If I tolerated flex from the bough I directly. If it fails, the damage to me and the hammock would be minimal. And there are no widow-makers above me, for absolutely sure.

Maybe it is time to re-think guidelines and advice. Even the (only?) arborist among us would have a hard time on a night-time set-up determining the health and risk of a limb high above.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-15-2012 at 19:06. Reason: grammar

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK

Look for material for arborists.

Quote Originally Posted by Teegs View Post
    I just wonder because I camp in a very dry area, that has seen forest fire before. Most (if not all) of the trees out there have seemingly "dead" looking branches on the lower portions, despite being healthy overall. And when you try to break off these lower branches, it usually takes a decent amount of force to snap one off. But the snap is definitely a dry, sharp, crack. Though because of the arid climate, even branches with green on them will produce a very similar (if not identical) sound.

An inch thick branch will kill a man if it lands the wrong way on him...

I'm guessing warning signs for diseased trees varies based on the type of tree, type of sickness, etc. Is there a good resource I can peruse, to verify some of these dangers?
    Look for information on becoming an Arborist, or general information about Arborists. It is very interesting, you might learn something that will someday save you a lot of money.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    Look for information on becoming an Arborist, or general information about Arborists. It is very interesting, you might learn something that will someday save you a lot of money.
    Arborist eh? Thanks for the buzzword, I'll start digging right now!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have observed in my area, that during storms, many more live and healthy limbs and trees come down vs. dead ones. All the leaves on the live limbs/trees catch the wind while the dead ones have little to catch the wind.

In my opinion, all bets are off during storms. The right down blast or swirl, can bring down anything.

Ya' plays the game, Ya' takes your chances. Happy hanging everyone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123