HH
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbridge/Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies

My first TWO nights in a hammock

I got into hammock camping because of my love for my kayak, which led to my desire to take longer trips. I did my first overnight kayak trip just a few weeks ago and slept in my tent, which is when I realized that the ground is a lot harder than it used to be years ago! I was so uncomfortable and slept so poorly that I thought, "There has to be a better way than this" and I hit the internet to research what other kayakers do who want to spend the night on the riverbank or lakeshore.

That's how I found you all, and some great youtube videos. I said "I've got to get me one of those," and did as much research as I could without knowing much at all about what I was reading, and seeing. A Hennessy seemed like a safe bet, so that's what I got. And on Monday last week I set out for its maiden voyage. I kayaked Chickamauga Lake, just northeast of Chattanooga. I put in up above Soddy Daisy and my plan was to paddle down to Harrison Bay State Park to camp, then paddle on to Booker T. Washington State Park the next morning and home from there. The paddle was great, and I got to Harrison Bay in the early evening. I was dismayed that all the campsites on the water were occupied! I checked out the primitive area and the regular campground, nope, nothing. Finally I found one site that was just up a path from the water, so that I would at least be able to see my boat from the site, and made several trips up the path hauling all my stuff to the site. Then when I went to hang my hammock---my straps weren't long enough! The trees were so big my straps wouldn't go around them! So I started looking [B]again[B] and saw several sites with appropriately placed, smaller, trees, but they were too far from the water. I was [B]not[B] comfortable leaving my boat out of my sight, and I am not able to just pick it up and carry it by myself (it's 12 ft. long, about 50 lbs.) So, with darkness approaching, I decided I had to stealth camp, and found a nice spot with brush to hide a big orange boat and trees for my hammock. It went up super easy, and was nice and comfortable. I was warm enough even with the cool lake air with a foam pad and a sleeping bag. I didn't sleep well, but it wasn't that I wasn't comfy, I was somehow just uneasy. I don't know if it was the novelty of the situation, or the newness and strangeness of being suspended in the air, or feeling oddly guilty about the "unauthorized" camping, but I felt alone and very vulnerable. I did finally drift off to sleep to be awakened by the sound of raindrops. I wondered what affect this was going to have on me-and I found that is was none. I stayed completely dry. I woke very early in the morning and started to take down, but as soon as I got the tarp down the rain started again in earnest, and I hung the fly again, this time nearly flat, like a roof, and sat on the hammock like a swing, and got out a book. It was just lovely, sitting on my swing, looking out at the lake, reading, and listening to the raindrops above my head. Didn't feel like making a fire so I ate a Payday for breakfast. Good times. When the rain stopped I took down and paddled off. First night done. The hammock was a success, just my attitude needs adjusting.

Four days later, I agreed to accompany my husband on an overnight bike trip. He is planning a much longer bike ride this fall, and wanted to take a "shakedown" cruise to check all his equipment. I am not a cyclist, but saw it as a chance to try my Hennessy out again, so I agreed. We biked the Silver Comet trail, in Georgia. We started at mile marker 15, in Hiram, and rode to mm 45 to camp at Camp Comet, and rode the 30 miles back the next day. The trail is very well-maintained and lovely, and it's nice to be able to ride a bike without worrying about traffic. Camp Comet is a very primitive campground right on the trail, no water or facilities. We were the only ones there. Due to a late start, general lolly-gagging, and a couple of flats we arrived well after dark and I again hung the hammock in the dark. Again it went up almost absurdly easily, it makes me feel very competent to be able to put it up so quickly and smoothly! It was so warm and muggy I decided I didn't need the pad. I was wrong, and got up a couple of hours later to get the pad, and convert my sweatshirt and sweatpants from pillow to clothing. I did sleep better this time. The next morning we rode back to the Jeep, and my "sitting-on" bones told me they don't want to sit on another bike seat for a while. They like the kayak better.

So, that was my experience my first two nights in a hammock, it's probably TMI and I doubt if anyone is terribly interested in a less than thrilling report, but maybe some newbies will feel encouraged by my success. I liked reading stories like this when I was researching, and knowing that successful hammock camping is available to novices who don't know all the acronyms, or how to tie a hundred knots!

Kathy

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Wb mambajamba
    Insulation
    Pheonix20 golite1s
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I am so ready to go Kayak camping now I just need the boat! Sounds like a great first couple of nights.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    YAY! Sounds like you're well on your way!

Hang from trees that are bigger than your straps this way:

Run your whoopie sling THROUGH one loop of the strap, run the strap around the tree and attach the WHOOPIE LOOP to the other end of the strap the same way you normally attach the strap loop (i.e.: marlin spike hitch, buckle as seen here, etc.) The whoopie sling makes up the distance around the tree that the strap lacks.

Thanks for posting your report!

Good luck!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym
    Suspension
    Straps
    Sounds like good times! I kayak camp too!

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbridge/Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wow, Pips! I would have never thought of that! There is a solution for every conceivable problem, somewhere here on this forum, I do believe!

Thanks to all who replied. Let's get out there and paddle!

Kathy the Weaver

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Great to see another female out there gaining independence from the ease of hammock set up .

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbridge/Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Girl Power!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Welcome to the forums from Guam.

I want to take a couple of my grandsons on the Silver Comet Trail, but have had limited success finding out if overnight hanging spots were available ( other than out-right stealth camping ), so thanks for the heads up on the camping area. Your report of your first night out in your hammock was so cool. Hope you get to paddle/camp a whole lots more.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Thanks for the write-up! I often have trouble getting to sleep the first night in a hammock even though I'm very comfy. Often it has more to do with the excitement of being out in the woods.

Sounds like you are more than willing to keep going with the hammock and that's the right attitude. Soon you will have your system dialed in and it will just keep getting better and better. I think you did great! Congrats!

Big trees -- that's why so many stick with full webbing suspension even though it's not the lightest. With full webbing, you don't have to worry about size of trees. But like Pipsissewa's picture above shows, people are starting to figure out ways to still hang if huggers are not big enough.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast