A little help with zipper size?

OK, I bought a GTSBP and took it on a weekend outing. Well to make a long story short I did not have it set up right and did a barrel roll after I got in and zipped up. (Hold your applauseThank you ) What I am looking for is the zipper size so that I can buy a new slider and repair the zipper.I called GT and they could not tell me what size zipper it has so I was hoping someone out there might know what size zipper that GT uses. I found a place to buy sliders but I don't want to buy one of each and have them laying around.Ok, you may laugh now Thanks

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Gack.. do you have the slider? The problem with zippers is there is no standard across the range of manufacturers. If it is YKK zipper (as marked on the slider) you will have a much easier time. If there is no marking, or you do not have the slider then things get more dicey with trial and error being just about your only recourse. Sliders vary in configuration according to the zipper tape they are used with. Thus not all YKK sliders are interchangeable, not is another manufactures slider likely to fit.

The size is relatively easy to discern.. That is standardized. Zippers are sized by the width of the closed coils or teeth as measured in millimeters. In otherwords, a closed zipper of 3 mm width is a #3. 5 mm is #5. and so on.

If the zipper is a coil zipper and the slider is still attached and intact you can push the slider in reverse and repair the coils. They will have suffered some weakening... but should last for a while with proper care. If the zipper is toothed then the reversal of the slider is not a viable technique. The slider must be reinstalled on the zipper.
    Good luck.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanks for the info .I will set it up in the garage and measure the coil. I lost the slider in the rollover so It will be hit or miss depending on what I find after I get it set up

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Having extras laying around is improved on by putting them away, clearly labeled and well filed. Sometimes these are just unavoidable costs, compared to a small fortune in mailing and handling fees.

From goofle search, I have in the past found one or more companies which at great expense per unit, >$8 iirc, will sell you you-screw-it-together-yourself-and-we-guarantee-it-to-work slider.

Per first paragraph I didn't even simulate ordering in order to find out what the further S&H fees were.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    From goofle search, I have in the past found one or more companies which at great expense per unit, >$8 iirc, will sell you you-screw-it-together-yourself-and-we-guarantee-it-to-work slider.

a guarantee is only as good as the person who gives it. From my experience one of those "universal" sliders will work very short term for an emergency rescue in the wilds if that is needed. But they will not go the distance and will eventually fail themselves, or worse yet, rip or destroy the zipper tape meaning the repair has just gotten a lot more cumbersome.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts