Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors

Any folks group hangin' in Alabama?

Went on a solo two-dayer last weekend at Oak Mountain State Park just south of Birmingham. They have three primitive sites that hold up to eight campers each and there appears to be plenty of trees for hangin'. Only drawback is they don't allow any campfires and one of the sites has an ornery racoon that likes to crank up hateful noises after midnight (sounds like bigfoot...lol). They have 21 miles of trails and a couple of them are very steep, a good workout, etc.

Anybody else know of any decent hiking and camping areas in the lower Alabama area?? Any group hangs??

Hammock
    DIY SL/DL Ripstop/DIY Taffeta
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/HH Hex
    Insulation
    PLTQ/Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/M Spk
    Yeah..it's a bummer about Oak Mt not allowing fires. I am going to the Sipsey at the end of the month. Probably a little too far for ya..but your welcome to join. Imnot really sure about places in LA. But I've heard good things about the Talladega anational Forrest north weet of Montgomery. I'll look more into it because I'm very interested to meeting some of y'all and a hang.
    It's a hammock thing, you won't understand!

The wife no longer kicks me out of bed after she saw a hammock hanging in the dog house.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Grapenut, the Pinhoti trail isnt too far from you-------- pinhotitrailalliance.org

I'm guessing cheah state park would be within 2 hours of you? Also, arnt there trails around the lake martin area?
    Last edited by stevebo; 06-13-2012 at 11:38.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Too hot for bama hanging. More like group swimming, or group vacationing to Canada.
    Hanging in this weather is no fun. Been there done that.

But look up Conecuh National Forest in Andalusia. Very cool place on two big lakes. Hanger friendly. Awesome place. Long trails.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    From Dothan, you may also consider the Pine Mountain Trail at FDR State Park in GA. That is, if you like hiking. Extremely well maintained trail and surprisingly rugged. I love to go there.

+1 on Conecuh. I have day hiked there and will be camping sometime in September.

Also look into Cheaha State Park AL, or the Sipsey (nw of Birmingham) for a more wilderness experience.

I have had friends recomend a state park near Auburn, but I have never been there and do not know the name.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors

Thanks for the Recommendations!

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. HeathC...that isn't too far but I'm kinda booked up at the end of the month. Keep me in mind if you want to link up later though. I do lots of work in Huntsville so it is easy to transition from Huntsville to the woods as I venture back home.. G-Nut

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ & 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo View Post
    Too hot for bama hanging. More like group swimming, or group vacationing to Canada.
    Hanging in this weather is no fun. Been there done that.

But look up Conecuh National Forest in Andalusia. Very cool place on two big lakes. Hanger friendly. Awesome place. Long trails.
    I'm with you about the heat but would like to hang in the Sipsey area in the fall or winter.

• + New Posts