Hammock
    Hennessey Safari Deluxe Hammock

Talking Planning a Hiking/Via Ferrata trip to Italy

Hi Guys.
    Im planning a trip to the southern dolomites in the area around Rive del Garda late september.
    I've been there every summer for the past 3 years doing Via Ferrata. This time I would like to camp in my hammock on the mountain sides. There are never ending forests, and the area is perfect for hammocking.

As far as I know, you are not allowed to camp in the wild in Italy, but I am not sure. I plan on doing it anyway, since this adds to the Via Ferrata experience, although i might spend a couple of nights in the Rifugios in the mountains.
    Besides, I never leave any trails on my campsites (the beauty of hammocking).

Has anyone in here experienced hammocking in Italy, and could you share an advice or two?
    "We might not be moving in the right direction,

but if we are standing still, we will never find out
    "

Helmuth Rame 2011

Hammock
    PapaSmurf Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat DLX
    Insulation
    Sunshine
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I hammocked all over Italy a couple of years ago. I don't think I ever thoroughly looked into the legality of it, but the general consensus of the locals seemed to be camp where ever you want.

I went from Firenze all the way up to Canazei, in the southern Dolamiti. I mostly hiked in and around Firenze and Tuscany, then up the Cinque Terre [on the Italian hiking trail system], and then up in the Dolomites. When I was moving from place to place, I even spent a few nights with my hammock strung up between light posts out side of various train stations.

Hammocking in Italy was wonderful, nights where I stayed at a campground or where there were other folks on the trail, everyone was very nice, and interested in my hammock set up. I ran in to mostly Germans & Sweedes out on the trails.

PM if I can answer any other questions for you.
    Last edited by BlueSkies; 06-12-2012 at 19:00. Reason: stupid spelling
    At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much.

– Robin Lee Graham

Hammock

Thnx BlueSkies

This was exactly what I needed. To hear from someone who has actually been camping there. Being that you even hooked up between light poles in front of a train station tells me, that wether or not hammocking is allowed, it is generaly accepted.

Sounds like you had an amazing trip.

I will be sure to post pics and a travel description when we get back.

Best regards...

Conr8

"

Helmuth Rame 2011

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    I spent 3 months exploring all over Italy last summer and can tell you that yes it is illegal to camp for free in the national forest but that didn't stop me and it shouldn't stop you I actually found a legit camp ground in The Foreste Casentinesi near the Franciscan Sanctuary in La Verna but they charged me and a friend full price for a spot to camp even when I explained that I would be camping off to the side in my hammock and my friend on the ground under me. We stayed 2 nights and then headed for the hills. The wild boar scat was everywhere but I was safe high above the ground from any critters. Will you be exploring areas further south this summer like Napoli? I have a friend down there that could take you and others out kayaking in the sea.
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Hammock

Hey CryOTheWild...

I'll be spending all my time in the mountains doing some Via Ferratas. Thanx a lot for the invitation in Napoli though. That would have been cool.

I'm will be camping in the woods on the mountain sides then. As long as I don't camp right next to the more crowded paths, I guess I'll be fine. Anyhow, I don't think there will be that many people on the mountainsides after dark. And it's almost a religion to me, not to leave anyt trace of my presence.

I won't be going untill late september, but I will be posting my experiences and linking to pictures and youtube videos

"

Helmuth Rame 2011

• + New Posts