Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your thoughts please

I have a plan in mind for the hammock I want to build. Im throwing the plan out to all of you for advice and potential problem spotting before I begin. I've never made a hammock before and I think this plan is ambitious but I'm going for it.

The hammock will be a gathered end. I may also consider making SGTRock's Ghost hammock. I want to experiment with an inflatable hammock bottom as the insulation instead of ccf or UQ. I know that would make the bottom non breathable but I'm thinking its similar to using ccf as far as not breathing. I would put some down into the air chambers in an attempt to add warmth and keep the air more still. Im imagining the inflated bottom would go from long edge to long edge and head to foot. The hammock body would support my weight with no body weight on the outer layer.

Then I want the Hammock sock with the SEEP that Hangnout and MedicineMan have shown. I'm thinking of making the entire sock with Momentum90. I'll have a bug net on the SEEP side only. Both the bug net and the sock entrance will be SEEPs if that makes sense. So the bug net is part of the sock not the hammock.

I really like the sock/SEEP/tarp concept and Im excited to try adding the bug net. The inflatable bottom is a stretch but may work. If it works I wonder if it could be used also as an integrated top quilt. No quilts to carry! (not that they're hard but less is still better)

Also I'm considering using a space blanket as the material for the outer layer of the inflatable bottom. It's airtight and from what I hear it may be heat sealable. A problem may be that it won't melt to the heat sealable nylon or that the temps are different. If that's the case I may not use it or possibly I'll wrinkle up some and put it in the air chambers.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I had a similar idea without the inflatable part. Check out this thread and see if it might be of help somehow. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=53014

I am very happy with this setup so far. I'll let the more experienced throw out their ideas. Good luck!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Re-think this a little.

You will have to have the down to get any significant warmth out of an air mattress whether it is on the ground or in the air.

Since the down will provide the loft, with a proper differential cut design, you won't need the air to provide the loft. You also lose the non-breathable problems and have a lighter more compressible setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    I had a similar idea without the inflatable part. Check out this thread and see if it might be of help somehow. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=53014

I am very happy with this setup so far. I'll let the more experienced throw out their ideas. Good luck!

Thanks! That's a great idea with the magnets for easy venting.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Re-think this a little.

You will have to have the down to get any significant warmth out of an air mattress whether it is on the ground or in the air.

Since the down will provide the loft, with a proper differential cut design, you won't need the air to provide the loft. You also lose the non-breathable problems and have a lighter more compressible setup.

Ok. I see your point. Very good one too. Basically I need to figure out where the equilibrium will be as far as weight and pros and cons with both the inflatable and traditional UQ systems. The airtight fabric needed for the inflatable bottom is much heavier than the 1.1oz for an UQ. But there's less material and less down. So where's the balance point?

Here is a brief comparison.

Insulated Bottom Version
    Body - 30D Heat Sealable 3oz/sy @ 5sy = 15oz
    Bottom - 30D Heat Sealable 3oz/sy @ 2.5sy = 7.5oz
    Down - 4oz
    Total = 26.5 oz
    Pros - less bulk, integrated insulation, slightly lighter, maybe same warmth?
    Cons - not breathable, not as warm? Dont know., possible air rupture and no back up plan

Traditional Set Up
    Body - 1.7oz RSN @ 5sy = 8.5oz
    Bottom UQ JRB Mt. W @ 21 oz
    Total - 29.5oz
    Pros - proven design, warm, light,
    Cons - slightly heavier, possibly more bulky packed

JustJeff's Down Hammock V2 (these numbers are VERY slightly rounded in this comparison. Please see his plans for exact numbers if desired)
    Body 1.9oz RSN @ 5sy = 10oz
    Bottom 1.1oz DWR @ 2.7sy = 3oz
    Down 6oz
    Total = 19oz
    Pros - Lightweight, pack able, integrated insulation,
    Cons - torso length insulation

If I take the Traditional set up and convert it to a full length integrated UQ I could estimate the weight by subtracting on layer of 1.1oz rsn @2.5sy =2.75oz for a total of 26.75oz. That may be the way to go!!

I wonder if I can find air tight material that's lighter than 3oz/sqyd?? That may tip the scales back to inflatable.

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    The down will be warmer in my opinion! If your stuck on the inflatable thing then just make a pocket on the outside so you can slide an air mattress into weather a thermarest or neoair ! Also Reflectives would work also ! To make them breathable just use a hole punch randomly ! In my experience you will be able to compress the down alone smaller than an air chamber.
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Read up on down under quilt construction paying attention to how the outer shell with it's overall larger dimensions (to form the differential cut) has to have the edges brought back to the smaller size of the inner shell. I suspect the darts and "scrunching" required will make heat sealing (to an air tight condition) very difficult. At least that's the way it plays out in my mind.

Also, an UQ gives you options to use the UQ, use no UQ, use an UQ and vent as required, etc. This will provide an extended comfort range vs. a one piece system.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Read up on down under quilt construction paying attention to how the outer shell with it's overall larger dimensions (to form the differential cut) has to have the edges brought back to the smaller size of the inner shell. I suspect the darts and "scrunching" required will make heat sealing (to an air tight condition) very difficult. At least that's the way it plays out in my mind.

Also, an UQ gives you options to use the UQ, use no UQ, use an UQ and vent as required, etc. This will provide an extended comfort range vs. a one piece system.

This makes sense to me too. I can see how that would be a problem.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I'll be direct. This is not your first hammock. It's your tenth hammock,... and it won't work. However it would keep you from spending a whole lot of money and time on something foolish. Your problem is that you need a hammock to lie in while you figure out what you want to make. All your best ideas will come when your are lying in a hammock, looking up at trees and sky. Why not make a single layer gathered end hammock first? Maybe include a bungee for side-stretch. Get into it, and start thinking. Good luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast