Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab

Poncho Liner Sufficient?

Hey guys,

Thanks to some great advice I was able to assemble just about everything for my hammock.

I've got a Kammok Roo using Python Straps and climbing 'biners (I trust the 'biners and straps much more than my own knots at this point).

I just got my underquilt in the mail from HammockGear a few days ago and she's a beaut! A 20 Degree Incubator with 3oz overfill added, an extra 6" long to account for my height (6'6"), and an extra baffle wide.

I'll be bringing the rig into temps of about 35-40 Degress.

A topquilt will have to wait for next year so I was planing on bringing along a Coleman sleeping bag I already have. It's kind of cheap, but (barely) did the job when sleeping in a tent at the same location last year. The problem is, it is really heavy. Like, almost 5 pounds. If I need to lug it up, that's fine, but I was wondering what you guys thought of using a Poncho Liner as a TopQuilt instead of the sleeping gag in these conditions (with the UQ).

Any suggestions for brand?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    For me, 35 would be pushing it with just a poncho liner. And I sleep pretty warm compared to most folks. My "comfort" range with a liner is about 40-ish. Below that, I find that it just isn't enough insulation. For most folks, that's probably 45 to 50.

However, if you're looking to supplement your liner, I've found that the torso-sized fleece throws sold at Wal-Mart for ~$3.00 are a good supplement to one. With that, a good underquilt, some good sleeping clothes (longsleeve midweight fleece, loose thick socks, a Thinsulate watch cap, and midweight nylon sweat pants), an hot water bottle, and a hoodie sweatshirt used as a draft blocker, I've been comfortable down to 25 F with no issues whatsoever. Most folks would be good to 30 or 35.

I've survived at 21 without the sweatshirt and with socks that weren't as good. I was not particularly comfortable, though.

Altogether, the weight of the fleece and the poncho liner come out to be 34 oz or so (22 for the liner, 12 for the throw).

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Hhhmmmm.. With the incubator, you could possibly get away with it.. Normally 50 degrees is comfy with a liner for me..... I went to 38 with mine this year and it was rather pushing it, had extra clothes so it helped.. I rekon I am a med. sleeper temp wise..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    For me, 35 would be pushing it with just a poncho liner. And I sleep pretty warm compared to most folks. My "comfort" range with a liner is about 40-ish. Below that, I find that it just isn't enough insulation. For most folks, that's probably 45 to 50.
    +1, My experience mirrors FLRiders post exactly! I sewed velcro and ties onto my poncho liner in order to make a foot box, it works great to 40F.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Thanks for the info, guys!

Looks like in the effort of being safe rather than sorry I'm going to lug up the sleeping bag this year and buy a TQ to go with my UQ next year.

• + New Posts