Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook

Is there a list (like the newbie hammock setups) of various tarps, prices, weights?

I'm shopping for a tarp. Now I have a bright orange goretex cabela's guide gear or what not. It's a great tarp, just hoping to find something smaller and lighter to pack when I won't need as much weather protection. There are a lot of sites, sizes, prices floating around. Do we, as a community, keep a database of various equipment lists?
    Hammock Gear List: https://lighterpack.com/r/cwjf0g

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I don't think there is a list or spreadsheet with a rating system or the like that is housed on HF. This portion of the forum would be the database I guess- filled with reviews as well. ya just gotta dig and dig...plus side to the research is you learn what you are looking for and what will best suit you. Just remember that quality comes with a price and don't be cheap about it. trust me, if you go cheap you will be spending more money down the rode on bigger and better. You should also check out the vendors section on here. not only are the tarps made of quality materials but I've seen youtube videos of Stormcrow driving 11 hrs to field repair a tarp he made for Watermonkey. (And i still don't know how Stormcrow found about it overnight... dude must've sew in helper elves or something.)

A really awesome place to start your journey is: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCam....html#Choosing
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    Thanks. I've been digging and researching, just wanna make sure I'm not overpaying for a brand name, ya know?

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor patches View Post
    Thanks. I've been digging and researching, just wanna make sure I'm not overpaying for a brand name, ya know?
    INNNNDDDDEEED. lol

Yup I can totally relate. I thought what I was doing was great research looking for the cheapest usable tarp i could find.. sadly what i got was poorly crafted, spotty waterproofing, and oddly placed tie-outs... and that was after i returned the first due to it being damaged when it arrived. (Note-mistake #1: i didn't buy from any of the vendors in the vendors section.D'oh! xD)

Luckily the vendors here have been tried, tested, and are held to insanely high standards- they also all seem to exceed consumer expectations. Which i think has a lot to do with them being hangers too looking for quality gear.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Thinked myself about getting cheap economic tarp but fortunately did not bought it but bought one from one of cottages on HF after reading reviews on tarps. Glad I did this.
    At first this feels expensive to step on cottage level but You get what You pay for.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Here's a spreadsheet comparing tarps and their features. Click: Spreadsheet. It's not complete, but still contains some good info. At the bottom left are other pages with spreadsheets comparing hammocks, quilts, etc.

Forgive me, I can't recall the HF member who put this together. Perhaps someone will chime in to give/take credit. Good luck!!!
    Last edited by Pipsissewa; 06-16-2012 at 19:32.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Here's a spreadsheet comparing tarps and their features. Click: Spreadsheet. It's not complete, but still contains some good info. At the bottom left are other pages with spreadsheets comparing hammocks, quilts, etc.

Forgive me, I can't recall the HF member who put this together. Perhaps someone will chime in to give/take credit. Good luck!!!
    Outstanding. Thanks a bunch.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Hey, you're welcome, Doc! Maybe--after you do your research you can add info to the spreadsheet. Anyway, let us know what you decide!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The only problem is that the vendors are constantly updating and improving and introducing new prodcuts so any such spreadsheet will only be usefull for a few months before it would have to be totaly updated.

Best to do your own spreadsheet with the various tarps (or other products) for comparision.

The good news is that the vendors on this forum offer a wide range of excellent tarps to choose from. You just have to figure what size, price point ect you need and can afford.

I recommend that you attend a group hang to check out the various tarps members are using and even check for other members in your area and see it they have a trap you are interested in, I sure most of us would be happy to let you check out our gear.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    sleeping bag/UQ
    what are they other column headers?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast