Thread: First 'mock

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First 'mock

Hello folks,

First time poster, many months of scheming. Still, I honestly have no idea what most of the topics on this board. Multiple efforts of finding what a "whoopie sling" is still has me lost. I wanted to make a hammock for my Canadian boat camping trips. I located some old fabric in the rafters at my father's farm. It's in a roll, about 14' long so I cut a width of about 130" to be folded over double. The fabric is black, and supposedly was a frost barrier for some sort of road project that was left over. When I pulled it down, I originally was skeptical of the frayed ends and deliberately tried to tear one of the edges with both hands. Not being able to, I recruited it for my project. Breathable? Not likely. However at it's price and my first foray into ham-mocking I couldn't refuse.

I did a simple gathered end, and am relatively pleased with the 10 minute respite I took in it this afternoon. The finished length is around 13' with a width around 70" after being doubled up. The pockets on each side of the center ridge are huge, and my 6'3 200 lbs frame can easily find ample room to lie flat. My lines to the trees are old winch straps, and the 4-wrap system seemed to work fine.

Remembering this is my first attempt to hang a 'mock, what can I do better? Can the centerline ridge be flattened out? Thoughts? Comments?
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts