Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

DIYers in Denial

DIYers have a lot in common with people who commute to work: they always lie to themselves about how long a project took. It's a weird form of denial of which I am also guilty when I DIY.

The DIYer tends to factor in the time it took to make the item, and totally exclude the research, the time it takes for acquiring tools and materials, etc.

When I took the train to Newark every day, I was fascinated how commuters deceive themselves. "How long is your commute?" I would ask, and they'd say, "One hour and twenty minutes door-to-door." Then I'd ask them how long it took to drive to the train station (15 minutes), how long they usually waited for the train (10 minutes) and how far was their work from the train station (15 minutes). So in reality, their commute was over two hours, but they just couldn't say that to themselves.

If you ask me, I can install a ceiling fan in 45 minutes. But I'll totally exclude the four hours I spent in the library reading electrical books and reading the manual, the trips to Home Depot, and everything else that went into the project.

And when it comes to DIY gear projects, I'm in further denial 'cause I research like crazy and never count that time. Anybody else in denial?

Hammock
    HH Deluxe/ DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HH Hex/ WB Superfl
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am definitely there with you on this one. I have 8 hours labor in my underquilt and 3 months of research.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Offering fine and unique outdoor products for the serious hiker and hammocker.
    Available at the following retailers:Tier Gear, Dutchware

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Totally true! Plus, I have to cut my fabric on the floor. At 60, i can't stay down there long enough to measure and cut everything in one session. So, my projects just lay there while I try to straighten out my back over and over again!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    yep. a contractor friend said he made $500 in two days. he just didn't count one day setup, a day getting the job and the day doing other estimates where he got no work. actually $500 that WEEK
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Totally true! Plus, I have to cut my fabric on the floor. At 60, i can't stay down there long enough to measure and cut everything in one session. So, my projects just lay there while I try to straighten out my back over and over again!
    I totally forgot to factor in "creaky bones time." I have the same issue with the knees and the back. Plenty of timeouts for me!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images

Denial shemial!!!

Now wait...you're telling me that research time counts...seriously? I mean what else would you expect a DIYer to do?

Now you're telling me that roaming the toy, er...I mean tool store as time spent on a project?

The next thing we know you'll be telling us that the cost of fuel and tools somehow factor into the really cool low cost gear we're making.....

Did you say something about denial??? Hey can I tell you where a really great deal on a small metal lathe?? Denial shemial!

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The DIYer tends to factor in the time it took to make the item, and totally exclude the research, the time it takes for acquiring tools and materials, etc.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    What can I say, I am extreeeemly guilty. Right now, I am going to start on my Kayak Kit, and I have two other diy projects which I have over researched, over thought, now days I make models of things first to be sure I understand what I am doing, and to make my mistakes on pieces of paper instead of fabric or wood. I do have to admit I have too much time to think, however, I am improving just slowly.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    My main payback from doing DIY is in the activity itself ( an admittedly poor substitute for actually using the gear---something I can't do an hour here or an afternoon there like I can in the project room). I'm not in denial at all, I especially like taking on projects I've not done before, or try to work out how to implement a new design feature. I know making this stuff takes me a long time...that's the point!

YMMV
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    My main payback from doing DIY is in the activity itself ( an admittedly poor substitute for actually using the gear---something I can't do an hour here or an afternoon there like I can in the project room). I'm not in denial at all, I especially like taking on projects I've not done before, or try to work out how to implement a new design feature. I know making this stuff takes me a long time...that's the point!

YMMV
    +1 on that.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Anybody else in denial?
    Not me. When I made my first silnylon tarp and realized how many hours I had in it...well, I've not made more. I do like making some other things though, which brings us to Grizz's point -

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    My main payback from doing DIY is in the activity itself..
    This is how I look at it as well. DIY is itself a rewarding part of the hobby, for its own sake. The numbers don't have to make sense in that context.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast