HH, ENO, GT, soon-BIAS, Dream
    Tarp
    70D Hex more soon!
    Insulation
    Nest/sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings.com

Pack size versus gear needs

Sooo... About to pull the trigger on a Hennessy explorer deluxe(victory!)... The next step is how to stay warm and comfy... My pack needs to be pretty light weight and carry all the odds and ends of course! I'll be running a standard sleeping bag for now, but that's all... Ooh chilly... Anyways I'm thinking of buying the nest/and sniveller combo... For you guys who may have this setup or a setup like it, what litre size dry bag should I pick up to keep it all stored in... A little on my expected setup... A 63 liter top load pack- explorer deluxe(stock) hanging with 2 carabiners and 4 descending rings- nest and sniveller all needing to fit in a dry bag! Woo, what a mouthful!

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Hi mate,

When I still had everything in one 'dry compression bag' (Ajungilak, now officially Mammut), I hope I remember correctly, that is is a 24 ltr, stated on a website here it would be 25x49 cm.

it fitted my Hennessy, No Sniveller and Highlight sleepingbag, at that time with treehuggers and standard HH suspension...

Will measure once I get back.

Since the sleeping bag takes more space then a quilt, I reckon that size should fit. Best thing would be to take it to a store and fill up a bag. A drybag normally needs to be folded over about 3 times before it is dry.

The mentioned Ajungilak has a stated watercolumn of 1500mm (if it is any help). Not sure if Ajungilak is available up in North America.

Another option might be Exped Shrink bag (a bit to heavy for my liking but eyeballing it for a while now... not that I need it, I just wants it )

Hope this helps.

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Images
    this is cut and paste from my post from another site, but you get the idea;

volume&weight of YOUR gear...

buy pack last was best advise..

your gear:
    make a tall rectangular cardboard box 12"-12"-36" (or any size if you can do the math)
    fill box with gear (add a bag of food to simulate volume and 12-15 lb weight)
    measure height of gear in inches and multiply by 144. (this is your cubic inches of gear) ex. 24' deep=3456 cu.in.
    weight box (this is your gear weight minus pack weight)
    if your gear fills box and you still have more left over, your pack selection is not your immediate problem

measure torso the place WTB post....example. Wanted: 2-3 lb, size large, 3500 cu.in. pack, to carry 30 lbs for about $50.

have fun
    kk

61 cu.in. = 1 liter
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    ^^^^ that's cool and good thinking... Hadn't thought about simulating a pack with a box to see what i need... It makes a lot of sense... Definitely an aha moment for me..
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    A trash bag, contractor's bag or compactor bag might be more akin to a backpack and easier to size than a box. Just load your gear, compress as much as you dare, "mold" it into a backpack shape and measure.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    A trash bag, contractor's bag or compactor bag might be more akin to a backpack and easier to size than a box. Just load your gear, compress as much as you dare, "mold" it into a backpack shape and measure.
    ....And themselves work as a dry bag for a lot less money and weight. Unless you're paddling/kayaking and things are definitely going to get wet, a trash bag, trash compactor bag works great.

My problem with dry bags is trying to compress them a little. I'm not a fan of compressing something soft and flexible into a hard cylinder, but it's difficult to get the air out of a "right size" dry bag with down gear. Once it's closed, the air won't come out (except for the "special" ones) and my keeps wanting to pop back out while I'm rolling it and the fabric gets into the fold of dry bag. To me it works better getting one a little too large for the gear.

I use the trash bag also.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.1
    Tarp
    HG cuben fiber
    Insulation
    40/20 HG jRB HR
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use a Contractor Bag 3ml thick unless I'm canoeing then I use dry bags

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    trash compactor bag for me too......i've tries dry bags.....compression bags......pack covers.......

and a simple trash compactor bag works better than anything else i've found, lighter, easier to mold your gear to your pack and cheaper too

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Clark nx150
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Molly MacPack.......takes all the worry out of sizing

• + New Posts