WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Tried using a blue painters masking tape at the beginning and end of the length to be sewed and pins between. The tape didn't stick to the silnylon very well. More of a inconvenience than help. Looking like pins are so far the best solution.

At a kite building site they noted the use of a "spot" welding device to spot weld ripstop nylon together. Anyone try such a tool. Might be quicker than pins and keep that initial and last inch of silnylon aligned.

The Singer I own is a model 15-91. Pre WWII build. Don't know if a walking foot designed for this classic is available. There is a site called sew4less that had parts. Have to check it out for a walking foot. Switching from the cheap Coats poly thread (fuzzy) to some thread purchased from RayJardine required bobin case tension adjustment. That was a bit of pain. Also, the #12 needle and thread combo was a problem. #14 works fine. So my machine problems have been solved. My sewing skills still stink when it comes to silnylon.

Day & night temps have really cooled down recently. Rain has shown up regularly for the first time since spring. A rain kilt would be real nice. It's hunting season up here. Blaze orange rain kilt flashing in the woods should reduce the chance of experiencing getting shot at. Any source for blaze orange silnylon?
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could use a drop of silicone like seam sealer to glue two pieces together in a few places while you sew. You'd have to wait for it to dry though.

Other than that, I've heard that if you use a hot knife to cut two pieces at the same time, it'll seal them together.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post

. Any source for blaze orange silnylon?
    Try this link. Bottom of the page for the blaze orange sil.http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonW...#Nylon Ripstop
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Other than that, I've heard that if you use a hot knife to cut two pieces at the same time, it'll seal them together.
    I haven't tried this on a long seam so I don't know how well it would work, but a quick short flame sear seems to fuse the edges of ripstop so they don't move around. The edges have to be touching and match well so the sear seals them both. The one thing that concerns me is once the peices are joined they are not adjustable anymore, so if you misalign the seam you won't get rid of any puckers by playing with the fabric. But it might be worth a try. Kind of a spot weld approach.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Best advice for making a tarp is once you have the ridgeline prepped for sewing (pinned, taped) to roll the rest of the fabric up and clamp it (I've used clothes pins, chip clips and mini-clamps) so you are only working with maybe 6" of fabric instead of the whole thing laying on the floor.

Take your time. I'm working on one now and rushed a few of the steps and realized last night that I goofed up and have to recut the cat cuts. Luckily the fabric is 62" and taking 5" off to recut is not that bad. I would of hated loosing all the fabic for a mistake because of rushing.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Could have been worse; your first project could have been a tarp. Not that I know anyone dumb enough to try that. Except of course, maybe me.

They've got coupons!?!?!?!!?
    We'll that makes two of us, started with the bilgy tarp-tent, then a tarp
    FRED

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal

Smile silnylon tricks

I tried this on my last project and it worked great.

Glue stick, for paper.

It is a bit of a chore to not get to wide a strip but when folded over holds the parts together well and is water soluable so excess can be wiped off with a wet cloth.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hmm. That's an interesting idea. I have a tape thingy that puts down a 1/4" strip of tackiness (not really glue or tape) that I use when mounting photographs. I'll have to see how that works with different material.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Silnylon & ripstop spot welder and hot knife cutter.

Another tool added to the sewing kit. Decided to purchase a woodburner that came with multiple tips. Primarily for hot cutting ripstop. Works well using a pointed tip to spot weld couple layers of silnylon together allowing easier sewing and no pinning. Just a quick touch. Too long and you burn a small hole. Still usually welds the two pieces together. Hole in the seam allowance. For me it's much quicker than pins. Hopefully as my skill level develops just one or two welds at the beginning and end of the seam will be needed.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Hopefully as my skill level develops just one or two welds at the beginning and end of the seam will be needed.
    Consider concentrating the weld spots at the beginning and middle of the seam rather than the end. The longer the distance between welds the bigger the pleat that can develop. If you space the welds closer to gether you will reduce the pleat the factor. My wife who has been sewing professionally for ages still uses pins on occasion. The goal is not to eliminate the pins but to produce a good, usable product. From that perspective, whatever it takes.

BTW you can do a similar thing with a small lighter by singing the edges of the fabric every so often. But the light is no good for cutting the fabric.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint