Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    So I went to White Mountains website and the hammock looks just like any other hammock. If anyone wants a real innovative challenge, consider my idea: a backpack that converts into a hammock. I am a side sleeper and cannot take a moment sleeping on my back, especially if even slightly bent, so my biggest challenge is developing an absolutely flat lay. I am hoping to be able to use some structural engineering I picked up from a video series on bridges to help figure it out. I'll post if/when I develop something. Keep up the good work and ideas in the meantime, (this is great fun and reminds me of what I once read, that the greatest engineers in the world were prison inmates that had to create useful structures from floss and tongue depressors). Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ghpacific View Post
    So I went to White Mountains website and the hammock looks just like any other hammock. If anyone wants a real innovative challenge, consider my idea: a backpack that converts into a hammock. I am a side sleeper and cannot take a moment sleeping on my back, especially if even slightly bent, so my biggest challenge is developing an absolutely flat lay. I am hoping to be able to use some structural engineering I picked up from a video series on bridges to help figure it out. I'll post if/when I develop something. Keep up the good work and ideas in the meantime, (this is great fun and reminds me of what I once read, that the greatest engineers in the world were prison inmates that had to create useful structures from floss and tongue depressors). Cheers.
    I believe Dutch already made a hammock/backpack and it was a bridge too. I think the backpack was actually a gear skin but you pack it, and carry it on your back so its a backpack.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If anyone wants a real innovative challenge, consider my idea: a backpack that converts into a hammock.
    Dutch made the Bridgeskin, which is similar to the Moonbow Gearskin as a backpack, and it's a bridge hammock in sleep mode. Thread here.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2479

Comes complete with teddy bear, but you have to DIY it!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Dutch made the Bridgeskin, which is similar to the Moonbow Gearskin as a backpack, and it's a bridge hammock in sleep mode. Thread here.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2479

Comes complete with teddy bear, but you have to DIY it!
    Very Cool, thanks. Now I just have to DIY a teddy bear backpack/hammock!

strappack

Mine was before Dutch's.
    http://www.thepacka.com/strappack/
    Cedar Tree

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Yeah, I think yours was one of the designs referenced in the discussions leading up to the one Jeff linked, Cedar Tree. That's a neat idea for sure.

I think Dutch made it more like a conventional bridge hammock to help make side-entry and exit a little simpler.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree View Post
    Mine was before Dutch's.
    http://www.thepacka.com/strappack/
    Cedar Tree
    Yes, I saw that too. I still need to figure out how to get an absolutely flat platform though. I may go back to my spaceframe idea, but it looked too complex, which usually means it has inherent flaws. KISS is my goal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    GHP: In the KISS vein, I think you could back off your "completely flat lay" requirement. I, too, am a side sleeper. But that doesn't mean I have to be flat. I think the beauty (and comfort) of hammock sleeping comes from the fact that the hammock conforms to your body's shape without any pressure points. It is literally floating on air. Your body is not flat when laying on its side. That's why mattresses have to be cushy and soft---to try to support your body with all its curves and undulations.

That said, I love the idea of a hammock/backpack! I'll definitely keep an eye out for what you come up with. Meanwhile, I'm going to read through Cedar Tree's and Dutch's threads. Best of luck to you!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    So I went to White Mountains website and the hammock looks just like any other hammock.
    Um the hammock on the white mountains website is a hammock like any other and is not the topic of this thread. Just thought I would point that out.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    The reason why the hammok on his website looks like any other hammok is because it is---but ts not the one that's being talked abou on this thread. The one's he's talking about on this thread isn't for sale and is still in developement, a process being moved forward with input from the HF Community through mostly constructive and encouraging comments in this thread.

I do think this idea has merit and I do hope that WM is able to move forward with it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast