hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    When I'm talking about something that I know to someone who doesn't know, they nod their heads like they understand, but all they hear is "it's simple, you just blah blah blah and blah blah blah, then all you have to do is blah blah blah blah. Got it?"

HF is great and everyone bends over backwards to be helpful, but until I take the time to grab some rope and work through this myself it's all "blah blah blah".
    well i hope that site i sent you helps!

just so everyone else knows, any knots you are unsure of that are mentioned in any videos, whether on here or on youtube or elsewhere, if they are decent knots, a video/slide show and explanation of how to tie them and their uses is on this website! total lifesaver!

http://www.animatedknots.com/knotlist.php?

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    It's great! But don't look at when you're supposed to be working. I've tried a couple using my mouse and camera cords. (While trying to look productive!)

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    It's great! But don't look at when you're supposed to be working. I've tried a couple using my mouse and camera cords. (While trying to look productive!)
    sheer genius!!! hahahah using your chords is quality!!!

ive just got it on the old iphone... can sly it up under the desk! im not leading another expedition till october though so i have the whole summer to do whatever i want! what a lazy life....

Images
    Much clearer on the knot, as far as being able to see what you are doing. It also helped that I already had your text explanation, which made it very clear. Very good!

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Much clearer on the knot, as far as being able to see what you are doing. It also helped that I already had your text explanation, which made it very clear. Very good!
    glad it helped clarify things... hopefully there were some other useful ideas there... i think clipping the carabiner on using a highwayman's hitch would work quite well... going out tomorrow night to experiment fully!

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Std w/caribiners
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkingnut View Post
    these two videos are my own.

lemme know what you guys think....

the first one is my ultimate guide with a few standard tips and tricks that everyone should know.

the second is the fastest way to set them up....

hope you like them! enjoy!
    Great videos, Trekkingnut. Well done. I do have a question about how the much thinner spectra line on the Hennessy ULBA works with the garda hitch. I've looked at some of the threads that discuss possible line damage from pinching by the rings but couldn't determine anything conclusive for the thin spectra. What are your thoughts?

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Great videos, Trekkingnut. Well done. I do have a question about how the much thinner spectra line on the Hennessy ULBA works with the garda hitch. I've looked at some of the threads that discuss possible line damage from pinching by the rings but couldn't determine anything conclusive for the thin spectra. What are your thoughts?
    this is always a hot topic of debate. i use very fat rapel rings as you can see and the standard cord and have never had a problem....

if i am staying in the same place for a few days, i will losen the line off in the morning so that its not being pinched in the same place the whole time... with the separate tarp ridge line it means i can still use it for shelter...

i know im not really answering your question and thats because i dont know. ive never had the ulba or used any other hammock so will only comment on things ive had experience with. prevents accidents i find.

you can try it and MAYBE risk it breaking... it has happened in the past with other peoples hammocks and the thinner rings... but in reality i just dont know...

sorry!

glad you liked the videos though! i hope the 101 video gave you some pointers that you can take away and use with the ul!

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Std w/caribiners

Test: Hennessy ULBA and Garda Hitch/Rings

Today I set up and tested the HH ULBA using the Garda Hitch method that Trekkingnut has demonstrated in his videos.

The stock HH ULBA uses a suspension system of very thin (about 1/8"+ dia.) polyester sheathed 1,450-lb test Spectra line. I could not find any definitive info on the HF site about how this particular line behaved in the Garda ring system. The purpose of the test was to see if there are any issues with this setup combination.

Equipment:
    Hammock: Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ #3 zipper mod and no rainfly
    Carabiners: C.A.M.P. USA Nano 23 Wiregate carabiners
    Rings: SMC Aluminum Descending Rings, 1.5" ID
    Test load (me): 150#, 5'-9" H

Finding:
    Works fine but requires care to avoid excessive line wear and slippage. For safety, suspension line condition should be inspected before and after each setup of the hammock.

Summary:
    The setup was as described by Trekkingnut: Tree straps around tree at conventional height. Carabiner clipped through both loops at the end of each strap with the narrow end down. Two SMC rings clipped into each carabiner. Hammock suspension line was run with one loop through both rings and a second loop passing between the rings.

Each free end of the suspension line was pulled through the rings to make the tension adjustment and seemed to lock fine. I did notice that it took a slight effort to pull the line through using only the free end, but found that if you use both hands, one to pull the free end while the other relieves tension in the line to the hammock, it flows through the rings smoothly with minimal friction.

At this point I sat in the hammock to see if there would be any slippage. There was not initially, but after I got up and readjusted the lines a few times, I did get some slippage. Once, I did not tug the adjustment tight at the rings on one end of the hammock and got a semi-fast ride to the ground.

I put a single half-hitch with a quick release on each end and again loaded the hammock. Again, no slippage initially, but after getting up and down a few times, minor slippage did occur at one end.

I put two half-hitches on each end and experienced no further slippage.

The system adjusts effortlessly and quickly as advertised, provided you use both hands to feed the line through the rings to minimize friction.

At this point I examined the Spectra and found noticeable wear on the polyester sheathing in the area where it had made contact with the rings. The sheathing was not penetrated but showed distinct surface fraying, with a spot two that looked like heat was the culprit. This was after maybe 15 minutes of repeated adjusting and loading the system. It seems that adjusting the line by pulling only on the free end, plus the few slippages I experienced under load, heated the line up by friction enough to cause the damage.

I concluded that unless you take care to adjust this system to minimize friction between the line and rings, it can quickly wear the sheathing and eventually compromise the line.

The Spectra has a stranded rather than solid core and I did not see any significant crushing of the line where it was clamped by the rings. Just a little deformation which should have no ill effect.

The SMC ring seemed to provide a reasonable bending radius for the small line size. A larger line size might help the problem since it would provide more surface contact area with the rings. Don't know the actual diameter of the ring stock.

Conclusion:
    I am going to use the system in the field for a while and see how it does, taking the precautions I describe above. The fact that I could cause visible wear on the lines with 15 minutes of fooling around gives me some concern. I would expect to have to replace the suspension lines eventually because of the unavoidable friction needed to make the hitch work. As long as the sheathing is intact, albeit worn, I would not expect a problem.

Any thoughts or observations would be appreciated.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Today I set up and tested the HH ULBA using the Garda Hitch method that Trekkingnut has demonstrated in his videos.

The stock HH ULBA uses a suspension system of very thin (about 1/8"+ dia.) polyester sheathed 1,450-lb test Spectra line. I could not find any definitive info on the HF site about how this particular line behaved in the Garda ring system. The purpose of the test was to see if there are any issues with this setup combination.

Equipment:
    Hammock: Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ #3 zipper mod and no rainfly
    Carabiners: C.A.M.P. USA Nano 23 Wiregate carabiners
    Rings: SMC Aluminum Descending Rings, 1.5" ID
    Test load (me): 150#, 5'-9" H

Finding:
    Works fine but requires care to avoid excessive line wear and slippage. For safety, suspension line condition should be inspected before and after each setup of the hammock.

Summary:
    The setup was as described by Trekkingnut: Tree straps around tree at conventional height. Carabiner clipped through both loops at the end of each strap with the narrow end down. Two SMC rings clipped into each carabiner. Hammock suspension line was run with one loop through both rings and a second loop passing between the rings.

Each free end of the suspension line was pulled through the rings to make the tension adjustment and seemed to lock fine. I did notice that it took a slight effort to pull the line through using only the free end, but found that if you use both hands, one to pull the free end while the other relieves tension in the line to the hammock, it flows through the rings smoothly with minimal friction.

At this point I sat in the hammock to see if there would be any slippage. There was not initially, but after I got up and readjusted the lines a few times, I did get some slippage. Once, I did not tug the adjustment tight at the rings on one end of the hammock and got a semi-fast ride to the ground.

I put a single half-hitch with a quick release on each end and again loaded the hammock. Again, no slippage initially, but after getting up and down a few times, minor slippage did occur at one end.

I put two half-hitches on each end and experienced no further slippage.

The system adjusts effortlessly and quickly as advertised, provided you use both hands to feed the line through the rings to minimize friction.

At this point I examined the Spectra and found noticeable wear on the polyester sheathing in the area where it had made contact with the rings. The sheathing was not penetrated but showed distinct surface fraying, with a spot two that looked like heat was the culprit. This was after maybe 15 minutes of repeated adjusting and loading the system. It seems that adjusting the line by pulling only on the free end, plus the few slippages I experienced under load, heated the line up by friction enough to cause the damage.

I concluded that unless you take care to adjust this system to minimize friction between the line and rings, it can quickly wear the sheathing and eventually compromise the line.

The Spectra has a stranded rather than solid core and I did not see any significant crushing of the line where it was clamped by the rings. Just a little deformation which should have no ill effect.

The SMC ring seemed to provide a reasonable bending radius for the small line size. A larger line size might help the problem since it would provide more surface contact area with the rings. Don't know the actual diameter of the ring stock.

Conclusion:
    I am going to use the system in the field for a while and see how it does, taking the precautions I describe above. The fact that I could cause visible wear on the lines with 15 minutes of fooling around gives me some concern. I would expect to have to replace the suspension lines eventually because of the unavoidable friction needed to make the hitch work. As long as the sheathing is intact, albeit worn, I would not expect a problem.

Any thoughts or observations would be appreciated.
    what a fantastic bit of information!!! really appreciate that being done!!!!

i'm pretty sure i mentioned putting through a quick release style half hitch in the video, i def would NOT recommend getting in if you havent locked it off, as you have found, arse on floor...

I have not noticed any wear at all on my lines, going to check them later on this evening to be sure.

I also use two hands otherwise it doesnt get tight enough.

I was a bit worried about the UL's thin lines to be honest... glad you didnt hurt yourself!

excellent review!

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Std w/caribiners

P.S.: Hennessy ULBA and Garda Hitch/Rings test

Postscript to previous test:
    Decided to try the Garda/rings experiment using a HH Scout that I have, which uses larger suspension lines than the ULBP. The Scout lines are between 3/16" and 1/4" in diameter and are noticeably stiffer than the 1/8"+ ULBP Spectra lines.

The first thing I noticed is that the larger lines have, for want of a better word, more "bite" on the rings. There seemed to be much less tendency to slip. You still have to feed the line through the rings with two hands to minimize friction but when stopped off with a half-hitch, it seemed more secure.

Based on this, I would amend my previous conclusion and recommend that the Garda hitch not be used with the thin Spectra line on the ULBP. It could be that the smaller line, with less surface contact area on the rings, simply doesn't offer enough resistance to pullout. A shame, since it is so easy to use. I could replace the Spectra with larger line but that adds weight and defeats the purpose of UL.

I guess the rings will now go with the Scout rig and I'll stick with Tom's lashing on carabiners for the ULBP.

Thanks for the comment, Trekkingnut. If anyone else is familiar with the laws of physics governing this situation, please let us know your thoughts, too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast