Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images

Tadpole Tarp Impressions

I took delivery of a Tadpole last week as I was looking for a minimalist tarp during the summer months here in California. I already own a Superfly and a custom MacCat Ultra, but I wanted something tiny, minimal, just for security. A tarp I'd probably almost never use. A safety net.

What did I get? .......

A LOT more than expected. All I can say is I'm seriously impressed! The 132" ridgeline was a big factor in covering my bigger hammocks. The 92" wide? Perfect. Not too much coverage (vs weight), not to little. The fabric feels beefy too as it's double coated silnylon. This is not a fragile tarp, nor does it appear like it'll easily bleed through (I've only done the hose test so far). The Tapole has everything you want and nothing you don't. It pitches beautifully and "feels" even bigger than it is.

Fully rigged with 1.75 Lash-it continuous ridgeline, prussiks, guylines, and a micro-biner, it's 12.65oz's. Packs down to the size of a softball (could maybe compress down even more). And the price???? Very nice. It's a HECK OF A TARP for what you pay.

Bottom Line: If you're on the fence.... Pull the trigger. You'll be kicking yourself for not having done it sooner. I was pleasantly surprised.

HC

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    congratulations! the tadpole will soon be your "go to" tarp.
    Wilderness Logics ROCKS!
    __bob__

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I have the tadpole and the oldman winter tarp and both are top notch and Marty's customer service is ridiculously awesome! from ordering to door was three days for the tadpole... got it to me fast for a hang I was going on!
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I love my Tadpole tarp. I like it so much that I don't hardly ever pull out my cuben tarp. The Tadpole is everything I need 99% of the time, and the other 1%, well that's just part of being outdoors.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yea, I can't say enough good about my Tadpole. Now if I only had a Tadpole made of cuben to the same dimensions. Wowzers! With doors too! Oh man! Hey ya gotta have dreams, right?
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have been eyeing up the Tadpole for a while now, and have been on the fence a bit. As soon as I get the funds together I am pulling the trigger; your review pushed me over the edge.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    down bag & CCF pad
    Suspension
    MSH and Whoopies
    I JUST bought this tarp, and it is the nicest tarp I have seen.

I mostly do summer camping, and if I think I can get away with it I won't use a tarp, but I still wanted one I can carry easily and rely on when I need to. Being new to hammocks I thought I would get a new tarp that would better for hammocking than my old ground coated nylon tarp.

It looks great, and it is gonna get setup this weekend. I know many like bigger tarps, but this thing seems to be the perfect size for me.

Happy customer

Hammock
    None
    Tarp
    None
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    None
    Images
    Just got mine today and unfolded it to take a better look at how big it is. I was also VERY pleasantly surprised with the quality and size of such a light tarp. Then I looked over at it's stuff sack and said no way will a tarp this big pack down small enough...well again I was pleasantly surprised. This is such an upgrade from the tarp I was using, saving me a ton of pack space and about 12oz. Can't say enough good things about the customer service too. Great experience all around!

Tadpole vs MacCat

Quote Originally Posted by StumpJumper View Post
    I took delivery of a Tadpole last week as I was looking for a minimalist tarp during the summer months here in California. I already own a Superfly and a custom MacCat Ultra, but I wanted something tiny, minimal, just for security. A tarp I'd probably almost never use. A safety net.
    It has been a year since you bought your tadpole. What are your long term impressions of the tadpole. How does it compare compare with the MacCat?

I am looking for my first tarp. Since I have no experience, I value a quick easy setup. I will be camping in hot humid weather. The tarps purpose will be for rain protection and possibly sun. I will be using the tarp over a Grand Trunk Double. Size and weight are important as suitcase needs to be under 10kg/22 lbs for one month trip. I will only be using the hammock part of the time.

I have been considering the MacCat deluxe or the tadpole.

Thanks for the info!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Search View Post
    It has been a year since you bought your tadpole. What are your long term impressions of the tadpole. How does it compare compare with the MacCat?

I am looking for my first tarp. Since I have no experience, I value a quick easy setup. I will be camping in hot humid weather. The tarps purpose will be for rain protection and possibly sun. I will be using the tarp over a Grand Trunk Double. Size and weight are important as suitcase needs to be under 10kg/22 lbs for one month trip. I will only be using the hammock part of the time.

I have been considering the MacCat deluxe or the tadpole.

Thanks for the info!
    I see lots of folks post who have trouble with communication and order time with the MacCat maker. If you need something in a set time, go with the tadpole. I'm happy with the quality of mine and the quick response of WL.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast