Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    SMr Pares
    Tarp
    Nubé
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings

Decisions... All In One vs. Whoopies, Tree Huggers & Toggles

Hi all, I am planning to get some new suspension for an ENO DN and plan to use it by myself and with my wife on occasion. I wanted to get some input on the All In One vs. Whoopies and Toggles options. What are the pros and cons from anybody who has used them. I really like the drip ring in the all in one, but I think that the Whoopie sling tail would probably be enough to keep water from hitting the hammock. Then there is of course weight...I am not a pro by far, but I have carried my fair share of heavy packs, and too much weight sucks. Lastly, it seems to me that using the toggles might be more adjustable for strap length...I have seen a post or two talking about tree huggers that are too long, and having to double wrap...the toggles would eliminate that issue.

I am a new guy, and don't have much practical experience yet, most of what I know has come from videos and reading. So I am deferring to experience here, please let me know what you all think.

JMD

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I like having the webbing separate from the whoopies. Its easier to adjust the webbing length. If you want to be weight conscious you can also just use trail sticks for toggles instead of carrying hardware. An old bit of cotton string is lighter than the decender ring for a drip stop.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    wish i had more experience, but have only used whoopies on my eno dn in the backyard.. i like it as far as using the whoopies to adjust. On my wbbb i use the straps with buckles which I like very much! all that being said I just ordered dutch's all in one system which i will put on wbbb with my upcoming hike and I am sure I will post results.. My thinking is this,, I like the adjustment of the whoopies, the convience of straps staying with rig and the security of dutch's equipment.. so 2out of 3 and i go with his set up with some longer tree straps..
    good luck and remember its really a personal choice,,, and with so many to choose from...could take awhile...lol
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    You could go with a different set-up than the toggles which gives you a lot of adjustability too. I have elephant trunks on a few of my hammocks. Gives you adjustment at the strap and a place for the whoopie sling.

http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/apps/w...s/show/2417621
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I am a happy user of the All-in-one system from whoopieslings.com. I do still have hammocks with the tradional sling/toggle arrangement though. The bigggest advantage of the all-in-one is that everything is self contained; no toggles to loose, no straps to forget. It also "dumbs down" the hanging process alot. For those that can't remember how to tie a MSH or won't remember "the knot, not the toggle"; I'd say the all-in-one is easier, faster, & safer. Granted most of us don't have a problem with those things, but some people just want to hang and could care less about that stuff.

Ultimately, the sling/toggle/strap method works just fine. The all-in-one is a convenient luxury.

BTW: I use the 6' strap, 6' sling style. If you have bigger trees in your area you might want more strap. If you tend to span longer distances, (> 1.5x hammock body length) you may want longer slings.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dblcorona View Post
    You could go with a different set-up than the toggles which gives you a lot of adjustability too. I have elephant trunks on a few of my hammocks. Gives you adjustment at the strap and a place for the whoopie sling.

http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/apps/w...s/show/2417621
    I like the elephant trunks and I use these as well.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Falkon00, you are right on with the tail of the whoopie sling acting as a drip check. One can always tie a strip of cloth onto the whoopi sling for further assurance but I've not found it to be necessary. You are also correct in that the separate slings and huggers provide more versatility on length adjustment. The bottom line is the AIO system is designed for convenience at the sacrifice of some weight and adjust-ability.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Falkon00, see the response I placed over at the whoopieslings.com sub-forum.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBait View Post
    Falkon00, see the response I placed over at the whoopieslings.com sub-forum.
    I've merged the two separate threads into this one. It should be easier to track responses in one place.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    SMr Pares
    Tarp
    Nubé
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings

Good info!

The elephant trunks look interesting...I will check those out some more. I did have another question...My wife and I will probably lounge away a few afternoons in the ENO DN...any problems with the extra weight of 2 people (under 400 lbs total) using whoopies, toggles, and straps?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast