Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images

Question Speer, Clark or something else?

Hi everyone!

So I still haven't got a for me perfect system for long and light hiking with a hammock. I started out with the HHULBA, really liking the cool entry/exit mode together with the fast setup/teardown that comes with the snakeskins. Yet after getting it and sleeping a few nights in it I realized that besides laying really comfy I just have too many issues with it. To name a few:

-Getting the tarp to stay taut means I have to attach it to a tree.
    -The tarp isn't large enough for cooking/taking it easy.
    -Insulation requires a pad, yet for me it keeps on slipping away during the night.
    -The entry method was cool but impractical. It felt confining and doesn't allow the person to grab items from the ground or simply lounging in it (I've tried to lay on the net as HH explains but it isn't perfect).

So I decided to try a DD Hammock to test a different stile, except for the weight (over 2 pounds) I really like the top-entry, and the ease of insulating it thanks to its double layer. Yet being a ultra light hiker that I am, the weight is a problem. So, I'm planning on getting another hammock (dear god, I've become a true HF member). And I was wondering if someone could give me some guidance? I'm looking for:

-Top-entry
    -Low weight and bulk
    -Good coverage and weather protection
    -For 3 season use
    -Preferably without the need for a pad

I was thinking of getting a complete speer set, with: hammock, tarp (maybe a MacCat tarp) and snugfit/peapod. But a quick look at the Clark NA made me hesitate, is this a better option? With the pockets underneath it seems that it could reduce the weight of a UQ. Or is there something else out there that will make my decision even harder?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    DIY DMB sans BEEP if you don't need the bottom entry. Top loader lightweight depending on fabric, versitle in bad weather, Double layer so it go 4 season, takes a pad nicely easy to rig UQ to. From Wally World $1 fabric it is cheap cheap cheap leaving more money to pimp it out with down quilts and other stuff.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Biomed View Post
    Hi everyone!

So I still haven't got a for me perfect system for long and light hiking with a hammock. I started out with the HHULBA, really liking the cool entry/exit mode together with the fast setup/teardown that comes with the snakeskins. Yet after getting it and sleeping a few nights in it I realized that besides laying really comfy I just have too many issues with it. To name a few:

-Getting the tarp to stay taut means I have to attach it to a tree.
    -The tarp isn't large enough for cooking/taking it easy.
    -Insulation requires a pad, yet for me it keeps on slipping away during the night.
    -The entry method was cool but impractical. It felt confining and doesn't allow the person to grab items from the ground or simply lounging in it (I've tried to lay on the net as HH explains but it isn't perfect).

So I decided to try a DD Hammock to test a different stile, except for the weight (over 2 pounds) I really like the top-entry, and the ease of insulating it thanks to its double layer. Yet being a ultra light hiker that I am, the weight is a problem. So, I'm planning on getting another hammock (dear god, I've become a true HF member). And I was wondering if someone could give me some guidance? I'm looking for:

-Top-entry
    -Low weight and bulk
    -Good coverage and weather protection
    -For 3 season use
    -Preferably without the need for a pad

I was thinking of getting a complete speer set, with: hammock, tarp (maybe a MacCat tarp) and snugfit/peapod. But a quick look at the Clark NA made me hesitate, is this a better option? With the pockets underneath it seems that it could reduce the weight of a UQ. Or is there something else out there that will make my decision even harder?
    i prefer the claytor jungle and also like the dd hammock because i can sleep on a pad with no problemneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    DIY DMB sans BEEP if you don't need the bottom entry.
    Hmm, that's a lot of abbreviation.. what does DMB sans BEEP stand for? Double bottom without.... swearing?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    You'll have to think about your typical camping needs (which only you know).
    If you're likely to be in places that the extra weight of a bugnet isn't needed .. . . go with the Speer or an ENO. You can't remove the bugnet from the Clark.

But if you're like me, and mosquitoes flock to you, you'll want a bugnet almost all of the time. In that case, the Clark really is a nice total solution.

When looking at the ENO stuff, keep in mind that the stuff-sack on the bugnet can be cut off of the bugnet to reduce weight.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Do It Yourself Dual Mode Bridge without Bottom Exit/entry Portal. The BEEP is a mod I did on mine because I need a bottom entry when it is in gathered mode. I have mobility limitations and I got stuck in the beastie. Most people don't have that problem.

The DMB is a hammock that changes from Gathered mode to Bridge mode with a few minor alterations to the set up. The straight Bridge mode does not allow for a tight storm pitch for the tent because it uses stretcher bars that interfere. With the DMB the stretcher bars get removed and the hammock hangs like a regular gathered hammock. I can get get a diagonal lie iin it when in gathered mode.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    If you want my opinion, go for the Speer setup. It meets all your criteria, is well made and the cutomer service is absolutely second to none. Throw in a SnugFit, some top insulation and you're good to go. If I keep taking about Ed's stuff, maybe he'll see it in his heart to hire me. Will work for a nominal fee of nothing.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Chris I could ramble on about all the good things about a clark hammock some of which you already have stated but you obviously have been looking around the forum enough to know that everyone has there favorite hammock your criteria matched mine as well I started out thinking about the claytor hammock because I wanted everything
    in one hammock I didn't want to have a bunch of add on pieces to make it work
    in fact I ordered the hammock and on the same day I ordered it I stopped the order because I found this forum and started looking around at hammocks I spent nearly a month on here reading everything I could and asking a few questions like you did. On the day I found this forum I also like you found Clark hammocks and started to read and ask questions about them and wearing Clarks phone out.

I read everything I could I even found another site where it was nothing but Clark owners there and read everything there as well. After a month and half I ordered the Clark now having said that the price was out of my budget but I figured and put it to paper how much I would have to spend to make things work they way I wanted and needed them too and I found that I was within a couple of dollars of a clark and that was with several different hammock that are listed here here on your thread and some that are not but for the most part I thought I was close.

The Clark is IMO what I needed to make things work for me that is not to say that it will work for you nor is it saying that the clark is the best thing out there. I am saying that before you spend a bunch of money trying things out and finding out they don't work jot down some thing on paper and look at the end result.

I truly hope that you find what your looking for and yes I do hope that you buy a clark but in the end it is up to you.

happy hunting and if you buy something good luck with it

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Hooch, How much space does your packed sleep system take? I wish you the best of luck with Ed, hope he hires you!

cavediver2, you've made a great video on youtube about the clark. You've showed so many cool little features that doesn't appear on their website. Great stuff, it really looks like a cool hammock.
    Just a thought, how cold can you sleep in it (note that I am a cold sleeper) if you don't fill the pockets? Do you sleep with a pad? And what do you normally fill the pockets with if it gets really chilly?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Biomed View Post

cavediver2, you've made a great video on youtube about the clark. You've showed so many cool little features that doesn't appear on their website. Great stuff, it really looks like a cool hammock.
    Just a thought, how cold can you sleep in it (note that I am a cold sleeper) if you don't fill the pockets? Do you sleep with a pad? And what do you normally fill the pockets with if it gets really chilly?
    I know this question is directed at Pat, but . . . .

I've got a Clark NX-200. My BigAgnes sleeping bag requires the use of an airpad, but . . . . without adding anything to the pockets of the Clark . . . I notice that I start to get a little chilly if the temp gets below 45. That changes if I use an insulated air pad. And if I stuff the pockets . . . .

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast