WBBB
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ TQ
    Suspension
    webbing

Learning to hike

i have always enjoyed being outdoors and camping so when i found this forum i went out and bought a eno dbl nest then i got a wbbb and a hammockgear tq and uq and all the gear associated with backpacking but i have yet to do any real hiking or backpacking aside from the occasional geocaching on some trails. my question is where is a good place to get started hiking and where am i allowed to camp overnight? i live in asheboro but i dont have anybody to hike with so i will probably have to do small day trips till i find someone to go witth me.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Call, or go to your local ranger station. Typically they are more than happy to tell you where good places to go are, whether you can have fires, camp overnight, need a bear can, etc.

At least around here (Wa) they're very accommodating, polite, and informative.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    OK, I'll pop my 1,000th post for this. Why don't you try to get together with these guys. Click: Uwharri Trail Club

They can share their experience in hiking as well as hammocking and some of them are pretty near you.
    Last edited by Pipsissewa; 06-20-2012 at 20:29.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Eno SN & DN
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    PLUQ UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Rings
    Images
    Asheboro is not far from Uwharrie National Forest. I have hiked quite a bit there and the ranger station in troy is very helpful and has maps. You can camp anywhere in the National Forest and there are even several areas with established fire rings and good hanging trees. A good start might be the jumping off rock trail head off Flint Hill Rd between Flint Hill and Ophir. It is a two mile hike each way to and from SR 109 over Dark Mountain. If you are up for a longer hike there are 12 mile and 20 mile loops from the southern end just west of Troy off 24-27. Give me a shout if you have any other questions about the area.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad
    I might be in the minority here, but I'll chime in nonetheless. I wasn't much of an outdoors person before this year. You seem to be resourceful enough in choosing your gear, and you've already been geocaching.

My advice: pack a bag, go into the woods a couple miles, and spend the night. Use common sense. Figure out what made you uncomfortable, and fix it for next time. That's it.

Don't worry; you'll be uncomfortable, but you'll live.

Looks like you are close to Uwharrie National Forest? They say the have 1600 miles of trails. That should get you started.
    Slave to modern society....for now

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Yeah what Crash said! Go out for 1 night at a time at first if that makes you feel better. My guess it won't take you long before your one nighters turn into extended stays. My first night out was at a local wildlife area and it got down to mid 40's and I bailed about 3am because I didnt know about pads or anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HamMike; 06-20-2012 at 20:27.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    It doesn't cover the hiking part, but a couple of backyard hangs to dial in the equipment is always a good idea. Sounds like there are plenty of places nearby from what others have posted. Check out the ranger station and website for the nearby national forests. Talk with some other hangers in the area. It will all start to come together. Good luck and enjoy--sounds like you've got a great kit to get started with.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Morrow Mountain State Park is right near you too. The backcountry sites are ok, or at least they were a couple of years ago.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    First off, It's always a great idea to try your gear in the backyard. Camping in the woods solo, especially if you haven't done it, can be a little intimidating for many. Instead, after the backyard test, you may wish to try an established state or private campgound for your first time out....always comforting knowing others are around. I almost always enjoy hiking and camping with someone but solo trips have their own attraction and reward. I've come to embrace them. I think the club idea is great...you'll have opportunities to camp with others and compare gear.

Whatever you do....congratulations for doing it....and welcome to the hammock camping world.

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast