Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DN

DIY an ENO doublenest to a TWO Layer??

Hey guys. I've been trying to wrap my head around all my different options with the pads and UQs. I'm wanting something for this summer and fall where temps should be very mild here in AL.

So far, I don't like the pad option, althought all I've tried so far is a CCF blue from Wal Mart. I'm gonna want to be shifting from side to side at night and I don't want to have to wrestle to keep it under me.

I'm looking at all the UQ options too. Right now I'm thinking I may DIY a cheap sleeping bag for an UQ. Weight and bulk isn't that important now as I'm mostly gonna be hanging in the woods behind my house. I just want to be comfortable temperature-wise as I experiment with all the other aspects of hanging.

I have an ENO DN and am loving it so far! I've heard of other hammocks that have double layers for sliding insulation of some sort in for warmth. Have any of you ever sewed another layer on the ENO and used it that way? If so, would some rip stop nylon be the thing to use? Can it be purchased at Wal mart?

Another question. With a DL hammock, do you still "feel" the CCF pad under you trying to wad up? What's your material of choice between layers for summer/mild camping?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have a DL hammock and the pad doesn't bunch up like it does in a SL hammock. I actually like a pad in a DL hammock.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest / XL Brazilian
    Tarp
    Int.Des. Siltarp 1
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    I have a ENO DN as well and I'm also searching for warmer weather insulation options. I really like the idea of converting to a double layer. If you figure something out I'd like to see what you come up with.
    -- Graedore

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." -Hunter S Thompson

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Quote Originally Posted by Graedore View Post
    I have a ENO DN as well and I'm also searching for warmer weather insulation options. I really like the idea of converting to a double layer. If you figure something out I'd like to see what you come up with.
    I hear you! It's about only DIY option that I haven't read about yet! I thought surely someone has done this.

Anyone out there made a single layer hammock into a double layer??? With a thread injector and a little rip stop nylon it can't be that hard to do!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    CW 12' All Season
    Insulation
    HG 10 Econ, SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps+J Bend Knot
    I'd imagine you'd just undo the whipping and sew on your 2nd layer. That's essentially what my DIY is. Open on the sides but attached at the ends. Then redo the whipping and add suspension.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    You could always leave the integrity of the ENO alone for hot summer nights and just throw together a double layer tablecloth hammock/crinkle taffeta hammock. For 2 of the 60" wide tablecloths, your talking only $26 and very little time. http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/Se...kle+taffeta+60 Just another suggestion to throw out there.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    You could always leave the integrity of the ENO alone for hot summer nights and just throw together a double layer tablecloth hammock/crinkle taffeta hammock. For 2 of the 60" wide tablecloths, your talking only $26 and very little time. http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/Se...kle+taffeta+60 Just another suggestion to throw out there.
    Wow! I didn't know about this option. What would be the weight limit to this configuration, and how comfortable is it compared to the ENO material?

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    It's the same material as an ENO but with out the seams. Plus you would get a wider longer hammock for half the price....... Come to think of I might order two and give it a try. As for weight limit if a single layer ENO DN can hold 400lbs this should double it. That is in theory anyway. The only other thing you would need is some strong thread to bind it together. Then whip the ends ( I wouldn't bother with the end chanels ) and add a suspension system.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Here is something I did. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=53014

Second layer is totally removable if you want it and don't need it for strength. (Magnets optional but they keep the seams matched up well) Get some of that tablecloth material, sew in end channels to gather the ends with shock cord and hook it up as needed. At least this might give you another idea. Mine is 100% DIY & I have been really happy with it so far. Don't see why you couldn't adapt something close to it for your needs. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Q: why not just buy a basic and lightweight hammock (like this Grand Trunk Ultralight for <$18;http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Trunk-Ul...words=hammocks) and attach under your other hammock? Cheap, easy, no sewing needed. Could slip in some insulation between the hammock layers. Should work, but I haven't tried it yet.

Bruce

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast