Homemade 10.5ft 1.1 OSY Nylon DL
    Tarp
    PE Drop Cloth
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies, no HW

Any DIY Open-Cell Foam UQs Out There?

Open cell foam is obviously a bad idea for ground sleeping because of the way it compresses and soaks up moisture, but it just hit me the other day that it might work well as an under quilt, so I started googling. I found the Supershelter, but I'm curious if anyone has done a DIY version. It seems the challenge would be to eliminate gaps between the pad and the hammock. If you could manage to do that, I think with a simple undercover (polycryo or e-blanket), and an e-blanket over the pad to keep out condensation, it could be a really good winter system for pennies on the dollar compared to down.

I have built an undercover out of emergency blankets, but it hangs really loosely, so it wouldn't work for this without fixing the way it hangs. I'm thinking I could just get one of those half-inch thick mattress toppers in twin size and cut it into three pieces. Then I just stack in however many of them conditions call for. The undercover would have to be fitted enough to remove gaps but loose enough not to compress the foam.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...on-Taco-layout

There's also a more comprehensive post somewhere; but I do not seem able to find it. The user put together a 3" thick open cell thing and made a hammock shaped thing and said it was good down to below freezing or 0s

EDIT: It doesnt insulate as well past 50 degrees for me, so I've been using the Costco Down throw triple-layer one which insulates far better.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I expect the drawback would be bulk and maybe weight, but if you are not backpacking, then that would not be an issue. If you make one, be sure and let us know how it works for you.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If you look at the foam Hennessy uses in the super shelter it is very light and very porous. Foam is nothing new as far as insulation goes. The first time I saw it was with the Boy Scouts in the 1950's. It supplies a thick layer of cells that restrict air movement thus limiting heat loss. It needs a shell like down. The foam itself needs to have loft power similar to down as in it will expand into the space around a body. Like down it needs a light windproof shell to keep out spray and block the wind. It needs to loft enough to be worth using as in several inches. You do not want anything too stiff as it opens air gaps. For a bottom quilt you might need to cut some wedges out like the darts MacIntyre ir reported to use in his Insultex pads. Look for lumpy spots when somebody is laying in the hammock and relieve them by removing as little as possible so the cuts self close when in use. You also want a differential cut between the top and bottom.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts