DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Big Ol' Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Mummy TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopish Things

Info on the NCT through PA?

Does anybody happen to have decent maps for the part of the North Country Trail that passes through PA?

I've spent a fair amount of time on it, but I'm looking for specific distances and the like that aren't readily available online, and I don't have any of the specific documentation on it. I'm pondering a trip from Moraine State Park up to Kinzua, and I'm trying to figure out what the actual trail mileage is. As the Toyota drives, it's just about spot on 140 miles taking the route that most closely parallels the trail. I suspect it's more like 175 trail miles.

Any insight? I'm kicking around 10 days, but I'd really like to meander once I'm in the ANF, so maybe I'll either start further north, or extend it to 14 days.

If - if he stood! Enough of ifs!
    He knew a path that wanted walking
    He knew a spring that wanted drinking
    A thought that wanted further thinking.
    A love that wanted re-renewing

"A Lone Striker" Robert Frost

Hammock
    HH explorer ultra, Claytor, DIY, WB
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY JRB HG
    Suspension
    DIY or WB buckles

maps

Hi,

Did you try the 'North Country Trail Assoc."
    They have a nice set of maps available in their store. The ones for Michigan are very good.
    http://northcountrytrail.org/shop/ca...y_id=48&page=3

There are no Data Books available currently, that I know of. But I was thinking of starting one here in Michiagn.

Images
    Yeah, check with the NCT - but also ask if the trail even exists over all the area you are interested in hiking. In NY about a 3rd of the NCT doesn't even exist on the ground, although it is mapped on paper. Yet people keep claiming to have hiked the "entire trail."

Hammock
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY JRB HG
    Suspension
    DIY or WB buckles

ask if the trail even exists

[QUOTE=nogods;755249] but also ask if the trail even exists over all the area you are interested in hiking. QUOTE]

Yes good point, this is a big issue everywhere on the NCT, as I've read. Here in Michigan there are meny re-routes and hiking on the road as sections of trail have not had the land available to complete the trail.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Big Ol' Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Mummy TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopish Things
    Yeah I did see what appears to be a big chunk of road hiking between Moraine and Clarion. That really has me leaning toward starting at Clarion, north of which it appears the entire trail is pretty much finished. I may have a total newbie with me, and I want to maximize her time in the woods and exposure to actual trail hiking. Anybody can hike for miles on the road in their own neighborhood. With the summer we are having already, I imagine July may be **** hot and dry. Road hiking is unpleasant under the best of circumstances, when the asphalt is 120 degrees, it gets downright miserable.

I just noticed that the NCTA's maps are pretty reasonably priced. I was expecting exorbitant pricing like many of the AT maps, and I wasn't about to shell out $50 for a set of maps for a half finished trail. Looks like it will be $21 for the whole state, and that's pretty reasonable. I also have Back Country Navigator on my phone, though I'll have to be judicious about using it, as my phone goes through batteries like I go through potato chips (By the case).

What would be required for a databook? Tons of way points and distance data between landmarks and resources?

I've always been a bit of a freelance hiker. I peruse guidebooks before I hit the trail, but rarely carry more than a decent topo map with me.

If - if he stood! Enough of ifs!
    He knew a path that wanted walking
    He knew a spring that wanted drinking
    A thought that wanted further thinking.
    A love that wanted re-renewing

"A Lone Striker" Robert Frost

Hammock
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY JRB HG
    Suspension
    DIY or WB buckles

Nct

Most databooks consist of way points and or mile markers. With a collection of points of interest including but not limited to water, food, hospitals, points of interest, camping, fuel, elevation segment maps, segment maps of distances, etc. But this is going to be a challenge me thinks for the NTC at least here in Michigan as we don’t have a solid group of hikers or tourist for that matter to support the trail infrastructure. What I mean by infrastructure is that when I was on the A.T. for two months I was able to carry food and hike from town to town to resupply. Here in Michigan I think you would have trouble finding water on some sections of the NCT let alone towns nearby to the trail. You could slack pack or do supply drops but there is a lot more logistics involved with those types of trips.

Also ,
    I found a solar charger battery pack for my phone that works pretty well. You can recharge your phone via the mini plug and then recharge the battery pack either by usb or solar power. I don't remember the brand I use but here is a similar product..
    http://www.wirelessground.com/solar-...y-charger.html

• + New Posts