WBBB
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    lambskin rugs/pluq
    Suspension
    tree straps

webbing length?

is the standard 42" webbing straps enough or should i spend the extra $5 and get the 72'' webbing straps?

thanks,
    A.Bottoms

Depends on where you hang, buddy!!

I have 8ft long ones and while i was in NorCal, they were just long enough for most of what i found. If the trees are smaller, i just wrap the straps around more and that's that!

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Is the weight that important to ya... I don't do the ultralight thing, and i like options... So I would go longer...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    In the ADK I find that a minimum of 6' gets me around most if the old pines that are in the "nice" locations. I bring 3' straps but use amsteel extensions to keep the bulk down. The canoe usually carries my load so space is more important than weight for me. (Usually stick to backpacking standards to limit the yard sale effect on portages)
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest / XL Brazilian
    Tarp
    Int.Des. Siltarp 1
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    I just got in a set of 72" straps, and I don't think I'd go any shorter. They handle the majority of the trees fine. The bigger ones I might need to add extensions for, but 6' seems to be enough for most of what I run across.

Speaking of straps, I got mine here:
    http://www.strapworks.com/Strapworks...ling_s/174.htm
    and I love them. Fully customizable on the website and pretty cheap compared to what you'll find marketed specifically for hammocks. Just make sure to choose the polyester straps and you're good to go.

I got the 2" wide, 6' straps with a 3" loop, and they're great. Im' actually considering getting another set 1.5" wide and 8 feet long with a 2" loop. The weight would be comparable to what I've got now and the extra length comes in handy both for thicker trees and for those times when the trees you want to use are a little further apart than you planned.

But then again, it depends on what kind of setup you're planning. If you're using a dutch clip or a caribiner, 6' is probably plenty. You may even be able to get away with 4' in most situations. If you're using a marlin spike (my preference for its versatility) I wouldn't go with 4' because it may not leave you much room to tie the marlin spike hitch on the majority of trees.

Personally, the more I think about it, the more I lean toward the 8' strap with a marlin spike. I'm not highly concerned with weight, and lets be honest, these straps are really light. A couple extra feet doesn't add more than a gram or two (I pulled that number right out of my rear end, by the way). But the great thing about that setup is that its highly versatile.

On the site I linked to, the 8' long 1.5" straps in the seatbelt style polyester are only $6.42 each. Pretty darn good deal if you ask me.
    Last edited by Graedore; 06-22-2012 at 23:17. Reason: Had some more thoughts on the subject...
    -- Graedore

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." -Hunter S Thompson

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Do you have any knowledge about their printed poly straps... Some of those designs are cool, wonder if the strap is the same...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Tarp
    Int.Des. Siltarp 1
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    I haven't seen any of the prints in person, but I was highly considering getting a set of the black/white argyle. I'm still on the fence between the black/white argyle for my 8 foot straps or the seat belt polyester. The seat belt polyester is about $4 cheaper per strap if I go that way instead of the print...

The six footers I just got in are in the solid charcoal gray in the regular polyester webbing. Based on the course weave of these, the printed ones might not look all that great, however, if they use the seat-belt style polyester for the printed ones (which is a much smoother weave) the print would look pretty good. Based on the prices, I imagine they use the coarser weave poly. Either way, I don't think there would be any kind of difference in quality or strength. But I'm just working off assumptions.

By the way, these guys are all about custom. The product description states that each end will have 2 box-x style stitch patterns, and there is not a spot to customize the stitch pattern... but when I ordered mine I asked in the order comments for them to use 3 box-x stitch patterns on each end instead. I just wanted to see if they would do it. Not only did they use the stitch pattern I requested, but they added the extra couple inches of material for the additional box instead of taking it out of my overall length. No additional charge for the extra material and the order arrived so quickly, I don't think it added to the processing time at all either.
    -- Graedore

Hammock
    Tarp
    Int.Des. Siltarp 1
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    I found a better answer to your questions about the poly prints. In the sections where they sell the material by the foot, unaltered, it gives specific details about the webbing specs.

The regular, un-patterned poly is:
    Thickness of 0.040 to 0.080 of an inch (the 1.5" width is .060 to .065 of an inch thick)
    Breaking strength from 1500 to 10,000 pounds (the 1.5" is rated at 4800 lbs)
    Melting point of 500 degrees fahrenheit
    5x time the abrasion resistance as flat nylon webbing

The seat-belt poly is:
    Thickness of 0.03 to 0.05 of an inch
    Breaking strength range of 3000 to 6000 pounds
    Melting point of 480 degrees fahrenheit

The print-poly appears to be available in several different thicknesses. I'll link to the page where they have it laid out:
    http://www.strapworks.com/Patterned_Webbing_s/133.htm
    Seeing that the printed material is available in the same thickness as the regular poly straps, I would assume they use that same thickness for the simple slings. You could always email them and ask if you're concerned.
    Last edited by Graedore; 06-23-2012 at 00:35.
    -- Graedore

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    That's a lot of awesome research you did there thanks... 1.5 inch webbing is rated at almost 5000 lbs and by adding 2 more box stitches I think it would be strong enough... That's pretty awesome thanks for the link, now another decision to make... I'm liking the diamond plate myself...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Here in Florida, yes. Not sure about Ontario, but I have a pair of trees in my front yard that are too big for the stock Hennessy straps.

Due to the ecology down here, most of the trees suitable for hanging are either really old oaks or longleaf pines; both tend to be bigger in circumference than 48". Pretty much everything else is either too thin (scrub oak) or has lots of understory that gets in the way of hanging an hammock.

Though, after a few times having to tie and re-tie the Hennessy lashing to adjust your hammock, you may wind up wanting to move over to a different suspension system (I sure did) anyway. YMMV.

• + New Posts