Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Sewing noseeum to taffeta

What's the best way to do this... How much hem do you need? I'm doing an attached top entry with a blank from www.tableclothsfactory.com... And I'm trying to get all my design planned out mentally...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A simple folded hem would suffice. However a rolled hem would provide a bit more protection. What you want to avoid is the "pull-out" effect where the weave separates from the stress under load. By folding the hem you are then applying the stress toward a fold and the weave will not separate. A rolled hem locks the weave with another fold making it highly unlikely that anything will ravel out.

The width of the hem is somewhat based on how straight and successful your stitch lines are. All you need to do is keep the stitch line on the folded part of the hem. If you can do that with a 1/4" hem that's all you need. If you require 2.5" to allow for wandering then you best plan on a larger hem.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I think the rolled will be a more finished look to it as well, right? Not real huge on looks but if the stronger one is a better finish then it meets all my criteria... How hard is it to do a rolled hem without a rolled hem foot... I have a decent quality machine but don't have any attachments...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I _never_ use a rolled hem foot. I can't get them to work for me. Just take it slow and do a few inches at a time. I sew each fold separately. It takes longer but I find it is easier to handle the fabric that way. Noseeum sews like everything else. Go slow and you'll be fine.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Here's how I do it.

Run the noseeum and ripstop through my rolled hem attachment.

Flip it over and add the second row of stitching.

Here's a view of the outside of the seam.

Here's a look at the inside.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    The only rolled hem foot I can find is 3mm is this big enough?

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    I would say a 3mm could work, but with what you're sewing a rolled hem held together with clothes pins would probably be ideal for you. If you noticed in papa surf's photo he is using a swing away folding attachment, and it looks great, but it also looks like he's using either an industrial straight stitch or needle feed. I don't know if your machine takes a folder or not, but if you're only going to make a couple of pieces it's not worth the headache of setting up.

It looks like papa surf uses about a 3/8" hem and that sounds about perfect for two rows of stitching. Basically all you need to do is lay out your layers nice and flat. If you want to get really persnickety you could draw out two lines at 3/4" and 1 1/8" from your working edge to mark where to fold your material to ensuring straight folds (I'd personally eyeball it, but hey, it might turn out nicer for you). Fold both layers to the first line clipping clothes pins every 6-10" or so. Finish one fold and do the next. Clothes pins over straight pins as mesh lets those buggers fall out too easy. Word if caution on this - do this near your machine. Carrying this very far may induce some colorful language if/when some clips come off.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Pag View Post
    If you noticed in papa surf's photo he is using a swing away folding attachment, and it looks great, but it also looks like he's using either an industrial straight stitch or needle feed.
    Yes, this is a swing away folder attachment, not a foot.
    I'm using this on my Juki DDL-8700, but my old Singers also have the same holes.
    I buy my attachments from either http://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/ or http://ngosew.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Pag View Post
    It looks like papa surf uses about a 3/8" hem and that sounds about perfect for two rows of stitching.
    Right again. I own a half dozen sizes, but the 3/8" is the one I use the most.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Good info... Just a question when you say a 3/8 folded that is using 3/4 in the whole hem because of the fold right? It just ends up the top visibly 3/8 of an inch...

I had to look it up this morning but my sewing machine is a singer model 3314 c for whatever that means... The only feet I can find is two versions of that 3mm folding hem...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Yes, 3/4" would give a 3/8" face with the fold. It's just easier to be able to bring an edge of fabric to a line you can see. 1 1/8" is 3/8 past 3/4" for the second fold.

I kind of thought that looked like a ddl juki, but the new adlers have the same bed on their needle feeds.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast