WV, USA -- Temporarily displaced from Alaska

New to the forums hope to learn about building hammocks!

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to check in. I am looking forward to learning about hammock camping and making my own gear. I have taken small net style hammocks with me on backpacking trips since I was in middle school, but never actually spent the night in one. I have always been a tent, or primitive shelter type of guy.

Things have changed a bit now as my wife and I have a 1 yr old boy who we want to start taking out with us. Currently we have been using my old 2 man REI Convert Mtn 4 season tent which works great for even heavy snow winter trips (we are from Alaska) but is just too small to add in a child. So I was thinking of making a hammock set up and using it while the wife and child sleep in the tent. Mwaahhaaha I would be able to get some sleep at night. LOL

Anyways I also have back problems so I think the hammock set up might be just the ticket. I am a contractor and machinist so I have the tools and knowledge to make most of the stuff I would need including machined parts. We also have on old 1930's Singer 15-91 that is still going strong that I could use to sew things up.

So I am going to go post some topics around the DIY section and see if I can learn something.

Thanks,
    Ripstop

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Howdy and welcome! Love your screen name!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome to the forum from Florida.

Hammocks are easy to make. Go to the "sticky" section of the Do-It-Yourself (DIY) sub-forum and look for "Gathered end hammock".

Be sure to use polyester tree straps, not nylon (they stretch and will settle you to the ground). You sound like the type to use Amsteel whoopie slings between the hammock and tree straps. Instructions can also be found in the "Stickies".

A great online source for your hammock making needs is www.DIYGearSupply.com

Don't hesitate to ask any & all questions! This community prides itself on friendly help
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

WV, USA -- Temporarily displaced from Alaska
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Yeah I kinda thought Ripstop was a clever name for this forum.

I just recently found out about this forum in a very round about way. I saw a post on the Bushcraft USA forums about a guy who made a hammock, then someone posted one of Shug's videos, and Shug recommended I check this place out.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Welcome to the forum from Florida.

Hammocks are easy to make. Go to the "sticky" section of the Do-It-Yourself (DIY) sub-forum and look for "Gathered end hammock".

Be sure to use polyester tree straps, not nylon (they stretch and will settle you to the ground). You sound like the type to use Amsteel whoopie slings between the hammock and tree straps. Instructions can also be found in the "Stickies".

A great online source for your hammock making needs is www.DIYGearSupply.com

Don't hesitate to ask any & all questions! This community prides itself on friendly help
    Spot on with the gathered end hammock. I saw Jeff's Hammock site (tothewoods.net) and saw his demo on making one. A GEH seems like a good starting point for getting into hammockeering. Hard part might be finding a local source for ripstop nylon. I am in a small town that unfortunately only has a Wally. I was going to go check today and see what they have.

Again you read my mind. I was hoping to order some Amsteel Blue and give the whoopie a try. Thanks for the link to the Amsteel.

Thanks,
    Rip

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    You've come to the right place! Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Welcome Ripstop. I don't know you just waltzed in here and got the name Ripstop, but good one!

Not to push one vendor over another but yeah, DIYgearsupply has all the ripstop nylon you could want as well, and at good prices and quick shipping.

It's often hard to source locally. Good luck!

HFG

Oh and fill out your profile info. How can we know how to properly ridicule you if you don't say where you're from at the very least?
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    welcome to the madness
    Boy if that doesn't sum this place up,
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Images
    Welcome to the forum. You will learn a lot. but also, please share your experiences. We can all learn from each other, even from "newbies"

I'm active on a couple of backpacking forums, and whenever the subject of hammocks comes up on those forums someone always refers the person asking the question to this forum. In the online backpacking community, Hammockforums.net has a reputation as the place to learn about all that is hammocks. So add what you can and take all you need. it's a place full of helpful people.

• + New Posts